30 mm collimator in LGI Shorty & 68mm long Li-Ion

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk made me one of (edit a very limited number of) LGI Shorties. This has a very bright 1W HD in a Legend LX body.

Charlie made so few of these direct drive beauties because:
(a) it is unsustainably overdriven on a pair of 123's and
(b) the head is unnecessarily large for an NX-05 collimator.

On the other hand, it is spectacular with a single 68 mm long 16.5mm diameter Li-Ion battery. It did look strange with a little NX-05 in the big head pressed against an O-ring suspended in the middle of the lens.

Using Charlie's advice I trimmed an Electrolumens 30 mm collimator (trim off the rim with "nippers" and file down rough edges and farkle so that it fits.) The trimmed active lens portion 30 mm fills the Legend LX head as if it were designed for it.

This is a very nice light that looks stock (except for the absence of the rubber band around the head that I removed for heat transfer purposes.)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid I don't know what the LGI5 is.

The body is the Brinkmann Legend LX.

See this thread which uses a reflector:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=118300&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

As I reread this thread, it appears that Mr. Bulk may have made more than 5 LGI Shorties.

The same 3.7 V 16.5 mm diameter 68 mm long 1400 mah battery is labeled both under "Pila" and "Copia:" brand names. Search this board for many discussions of the batteries and where they and their chargers can be purchased.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
Thanks, lemlux! Lol, I have my Pila G3R right in front of me, and guess what battery it uses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I even have a 1 watt emitter. Looks like I have my next project lined up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I mis-spoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif the G3R uses the 50mm battery. Oh well, I can still buy the longer one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk also made me three Mini LGI's. This is the light built from the Novigear aluminum 7 Nichia 3AAA light.

I run the two Mini LGI's I kept with a 1000 mA 50 mm Pila / Copia battery rather than the 3AA pack which can hold 3 @ 750 mA NiMH's.

The mini LGI can also hold the wider 18.5 mm diameter 50 mm cells that are rated at 1200 mAh.

The LGI Shorty can only hold the 16.5 mm diameter cells.

cableguy

Newly Enlightened
Re: 30 mm collimator in LGI Shorty & 68mm long Li-

Lemlux, Will the 30 mm Collimator fit the Mini LGI? Will the Copia 168B fit?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

cableguy:

No and No are the bad news.

The good news is that the Mini is considerably shorter and narrower than the Shorty.

You're stuck with the NX-05 and either the 150A or 150B with the MiniLGI. You can, of course, use 3 @ AAA's, but the Li-Ions drive the LED considerably brighter.

The leftover 3AA holders from the Mini LGI can be substituted for a pair of C cells. I haven't figured out what I'd want to drive with 6 @ low-capacity, low-current cells in serial. Maybe a 5 cell Xenon PR bulb with around 0.70 Amps. This would probably run for a little under an hour.

cableguy

Newly Enlightened

Lemlux, Thanks for the Info! Also, do You know the best place to buy copia/ pila lights and batteries?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I purchased directly from Pila in Hong Kong their prices were below that of their U.S. distributor. The U.S. distributor charges $25 for each 50mm cell and $32 for each 68 mm cell. I think I paid $27 @ for my 16.5mm by 68 mm cells when Pila wanted somewhere around $32 for the fatter cell.

I also paid several dollars less to Pila for the 80 lumen 3.7 V SF LA than the U.S. distributor charges.

Postage for 4 batteries and 2 LA's from Hong Kong was about $15, so there is probably a volume breakeven somewhere under a $100 order.