Mini-Maglite: Genuine xenon replacements

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened
I was at home depot yesterday and while I was looking at flashlights, I saw a pack of genuine xenon replacement bulbs for the 2AA Mini-Maglite.

Do you think there is a real difference in both brightness and runtime?

Last edited:

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
Re: 2AA Mini-Maglite; Krypton vs. Xenon bulbs

Did they cost a lot more than the krypton? If not, you've got nothing to lose. This is interesting, because I have never heard of xenon bulbs for the mini maglites.

cccpull

Enlightened

I bought a pack of 2 for $2 at Walmart a few weeks ago and there was a noticeable difference. I'm planning on using one of the bulbs in a Mini-Solitaire with a lithium battery and see what happens.:thinking:

computernut

Enlightened

Did they cost a lot more than the krypton? If not, you've got nothing to lose. This is interesting, because I have never heard of xenon bulbs for the mini maglites.

Ya, I didn't know that there was Xenon's for the minimag. The Xenon MagnumStar that I have for my 3C is whiter and brighter than the stock Krypton.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ya, I didn't know that there was Xenon's for the minimag. The Xenon MagnumStar that I have for my 3C is whiter and brighter than the stock Krypton.

I didn't know this either, but it would seem there is:
[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Mini MagLite 2AA *[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]LM2A001[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]107-396[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Mini BiPin [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Filament [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica](vacuum)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Green[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2-AA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Mini MagLite 2AA *[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]LM2A001[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]107-561[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Mini BiPin [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Filament [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica] Krypton [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]Black[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]2-AA[/FONT]
from http://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm

Last edited:

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened

I never heard of xenon bulbs for the mini-maglite either, I'm guessing these recently became available, the copyright on the package was 2008. It's odd that there isn't any reference about the 2AA xenon's on the maglite website (or on the internet for that matter)...

The price at home depot was $2.72.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened

Yes, I know of them and they make a noticeable difference... even in current draw. The "old" ones draw about 300mA and the new Xenon lamps draw about 400mA. Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Timmo.

cccpull

Enlightened

I never heard of xenon bulbs for the mini-maglite either, I'm guessing these recently became available, the copyright on the package was 2008. It's odd that there isn't any reference about the 2AA xenon's on the maglite website (or on the internet for that matter)...

The price at home depot was $2.72.

FWIW, just saw the 2-pack at Lowes for $1.57.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great...now I gotta go to Lowes AND Walmart.
I was in Walmart last week and they had the AA minis on sale for $7.88

elumen8

Enlightened

Ok, I had to go and buy a pack of 2AA xenon bulbs from Frys. I can't see any difference at all.

So, I took five 2AA krypton mini mags and replaced two of them with the new xenon bulbs (I only have about a dozen or so mini mags to choose from). I installed all new batteries in each light to create a 'blind test' so-to-speak. I turned them all on, side by side, and conned three of my friends and myself to try to distinguish between the old krypton and the new xenon bulbs (my friends snicker at the hobby but humor me anyway). No-one could see any difference between the five lights. even adjusting the focus from flood to spot didn't help. I guess newer isn't always better.

JB

btw..my late night walk around the house or campsite lights are 2AA mini mags with Surefire F04 diffusers. They make for perfect low level, beautifully warm floody lights. So easy on the eyes.

apete2

Newly Enlightened

I use the xenon bulb off 2 lithium AAs and the tail switch from the nite ize 3 led drop in. It adds some resistance, bulb life is too short with just the tail cap but now i get a few hours.

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened

I too did a comparison between the stock bulb and the "new" krypton replacements with brand new energizer ultimate lithiums, and didn't see a difference, same artifact beam, which got worse with focusing. I found it odd on the back of the back of the package that Maglite states "Do not use with rechargable batteries nor with more than 2 batteries........" :D like anyone of us would try to use bulb with more than one set of 2AA batteries......:naughty:

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I too did a comparison between the stock bulb and the "new" krypton replacements with brand new energizer ultimate lithiums, and didn't see a difference, same artifact beam, which got worse with focusing. I found it odd on the back of the back of the package that Maglite states "Do not use with rechargable batteries nor with more than 2 batteries........" :D like anyone of us would try to use bulb with more than one set of 2AA batteries......:naughty:

Subjectively, there probably is not much difference. Did you guys run the test at a target further out, like 50 meters, or so? One way to test would be using a light meter and measuring lux at one meter, and comparing numbers. The problem is that there is quite a drop off in output once the light is turned on, and you would have to have perfectly matched cells in voltage for each light, and get test over with fast. If the standard bulb and the xenon bulbs have the same voltage specs and the current is 100mA's more for the xenon, then the xenon should be brighter. This, of course, would depend on the condition of the reflectors, and the clarity of the plastic windows and any resistance differences between the lights. All in all, it would be difficult to tell the difference without testing equipment.

Bill

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened

I went to home depot the other day and got xenon bulbs for my 2c and for my 2AA mini mag, then I set up the camera and did some beamshot test on manual. both of the xenon bulbs where noticeably whiter. The 2C bulbs where a tiny bit brighter and the minimag bulb was quite a bit brighter.

Mr.Penny

Newly Enlightened

I went to home depot the other day and got xenon bulbs for my 2c and for my 2AA mini mag, then I set up the camera and did some beamshot test on manual. both of the xenon bulbs where noticeably whiter. The 2C bulbs where a tiny bit brighter and the minimag bulb was quite a bit brighter.

Could you post the beamshots?

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened

Sure. here we go shot down the hall at about 25 feet.

stock 2C Maglight
2C-MAG-Stock.jpg

next we have the 2C Maglight with the Xenon. Both pretty pathetic IMHO. The minimag is actually ALOT brighter than either of the 2 2C mag bulbs. Main thing I noticed with the xenon was its alot less yellow. (even though its still quite yellow)
2C-MAG-Xenon.jpg

ok here we have the stock 2AA MiniMag with NIMH rechargeables in it.
MiniMAG-Stock.jpg

Minimag with Xenon and rechargeables
MiniMAG-Xenon.jpg

and lastly the MiniMag Xenon with duracell Alkalines in it.
Mini-Xenon-Alkalines.jpg

Last edited:

TheInvader

Newly Enlightened

Reflector for the Mini Mag seems to be optimized with the usage of the xenon bulb. How many lumens would you guess? I only have a 3D, and the 2D xenon I once bought flashed, so I never have gotten any usage outside with xenon bulbs.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a little help for those trying to determine which bulb they have:

On the left in the Red: Stock Vacuum Bulb
On the right in Grey: Xenon replacement bulb

4130431936_bc714d9195.jpg

Found mine in an outdoor/Army surplus shop. Thanks to american profiteering, they cost $5.95 AUD.

"Come to Australia, where you might accidentally get killed, for Mag-Lite parts you'll be shilled..."

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for that comparison photograph.

:thumbsup:

Do these Xenon bulbs Blacken with Age, like the original bulbs ?

That was always my biggest gripe with them. :mad:

_