Longest runtime led flashlight from DX?

mrbubbles

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight with a long runtime on LOW power (8-10 lumens or so), preferably a 18650/RCR123 flashlight from DX.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Dont quote me on this but I think the Akoray K-106 on low is around 10L. I'll take some beam pics later tonight after it gets dark.

:p

vali

Enlightened
Dont quote me on this but I think the Akoray K-106 on low is around 10L. I'll take some beam pics later tonight after it gets dark.

:p

Less than that in my own K-106.

The bad thing about the akoray is the lack of consistency between samples. In the minimun setting I managed to get I guess it was about 3-5 lumen or so. I did a runtime test using a duracell coppertop (alkaline) and got about 37 hours. Some other ppl in this forums did runtime tests too and got different results (20 to 30 hours IIRC).

BTW, you can get a Fenix TK40 in DX too and the runtime is way better :p

shark_za

Enlightened
I am running my Akoray K-106 3-mode down on the lowest setting I managed to set right now.
Its around 5 lumens.

Running on a Trustfire 14500 its been on at the same level for 58 hours so far.
Still going.

Ecolang

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight with a long runtime on LOW power (8-10 lumens or so), preferably a 18650/RCR123 flashlight from DX.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you want other modes, or just a low? If you just want a single mode light with a long runtime, something like the Fenix E01 might do the trick though it uses AAA rather than your battery choices.

The Aurora SH-034 (sku 33813) will run for 9.5 hours on low (5-7 lumens by estimate) on a protected RCR123 till shutoff.

shark_za

Enlightened
I measured the current at the tailcap 10mA.
Ran 63 hours till protection kicked in.

630mAh is about right for a *fire 14500 I guess.

My medium runs 100mA and high is only 650mA.

Should render 6 hours on medium and just less than an hour on full.
I'm happy.

RepProdigious

Enlightened
On my non-progr Akoray K-109 5-mode the lowest setting gives me 8.5mA tailcap current, the lowest im able to get from my 3-mode prog is about 11 to 12 mA but this should still be good for a couple of hours ;)

joe1512

Enlightened
Consider that the runtime of a flashlight is generally based on two things:

1) the total wattage-hours in all of its batteries.

2) How much wattage the light uses in a particular mode.

For 1, you want batteries with the highest energy density. The more the merrier as obviously a 500mAh AAA that runs at 1.2 volts doesn't have much charge.

A 2xAA battery will do a lot better. An eneloop runs at 1.2 volts but has 2000mAh each.

CR123s are pretty good too. A rechargable (RCR123) has 4.2 volts and 750mAh which makes it about on par with an eneloop (remember, wattage-hour = voltage times amp*hour).

An 18650 is a solid choice, about equal to 2 RCR123s. Most 18650 lights are more high powered though, and they are less efficient at a low mode.

For 2, its just a matter of finding a light that gives the desired lumens. Most lights are about equally efficient. There isnt enough variation I don;'t think to really matter much.

===================================

You don't HAVE to go with DX. It takes forever to get your light, and quality control issues abound. There are several good vendors that you can find at our Dealer's Corner that have reasonably priced lights.

I think your best bet is 'itp' brand. Their SC2 light uses two CR123s respectively. They CAN USE RCR123s too!

Its 40 bucks (minus potential discount) at most places, and the cool feature there is its infinite brightness adjustment!
For someone wanting a true 'low', this is a fantastic feature to fine-tune exactly how much brightness you want. It is tons better than just having to go with whatever 'low' mode you get with the majority of flashlights.

It has the capability of spewing out a lot of light, which is nice to have! But you can easily use it as a low-only light. It is rated at 37 hours of 8 lumens! That should do nicely. :) Plus, it will be of good quality and you shouldn't have any hassle at all.

I'd check out goinggear where Ive bought my lights and look for itp SC2 2xCR123. See if you like the style, etc. Then do some comparative shopping. They give free shipping for a 50 dollar order if you want a small camp-gear piece. 10% discount with their coupon code (found at dealers corner forum here)

Romisen has some cheaper options too, but they don't have enough of a low to fit your needs. 4sevens has great lights, but they get into the Expensive category fast!

Last edited: