Thrunite Catapult or Olight M21 Warrior?

Biodarren

Newly Enlightened
I know they use the same emitter but the catapult is rated at much higher output.
Which one is worthy of my hard earned cash???

emerald

Newly Enlightened
Good question.
I'm not so sure if I'm qualified to answer it.
From waht I'v read so far the
M21 weights 115 gr and has a reflector with a diameter of 40,2 mm.
The Catapult weights 390 gr. and has a reflector with a diameter of 58 mm.

So for me the weight is a factor to base the decision.

Hope this helps.
emerald

PS: The M21 is on top of my list and I hope to get it by next week.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Catapult is a much larger light with a larger reflector so it's mass allows the LED to be driven much harder.

Their fundamental character is very different. The M21 is a super bright tactical class light, the Catapult is a search/resuce thrower class light.

They're both great lights worthy of your cash - the deciding factor is what type of light you need.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The catapult doesnt have anything special other than the emitter.. the beam is rather sharp so will not do very well at indoors or close range use.

Get the M21 if you had to choose between those 2.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure it does - it's the only purpose built thrower in the large/multi-die class. It's really nicely put together, excellent fit/finish and ridiculously bright - it's not really made as an indoors light - that's what EDC's are for.

Like I said, apples and oranges.

Of course the simple answer is to buy them both! :)

stallion2

Enlightened
The catapult doesnt have anything special other than the emitter.. the beam is rather sharp so will not do very well at indoors or close range use.

Get the M21 if you had to choose between those 2.

the obvious answer is both...duh.
honestly, i don't have an M21 but i'm already sold on it since i have an M30 which is great and an M20 w/ the R2 which is the best $100 i've spent on a light.
i did receive a Catapult last week and its great but not what i anticipated, however i'm by no means disappointed. judging by ThruNite's claims and beam shots i thought it would be like an amped up version of my A9. in reality, the beam pattern is more like overlapping the A9 and M30 so it works very well in close unlike the A9.

3 things you may or may not like depending on preference:

>the tint is not white but more yellowish green. i did not expect this but do like it as its glare off the leaves and trees looks a little less artificial than a neutral/cool white.
>you'll have to use rechargeables, no primaries for the latest version.
>its heavy, but not what i would call cumbersome.

the beam pattern is great and makes the light far more practical than i thought it would be. now i'll have to finance an M21....

Matt...is it possible to swap the heads between the M20 and 21...or the tail cap for that matter?

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Shootout between the Wolf Eyes 6A MC-Explorer and the Olight M21 Warrior. :twothumbs

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
WE claims more lumens and is 18650 only - CR123A's only for emergencies which tells me they're probably driving it harder and it probably has more total output - the Olight was 'detuned' to be CR123A safe/friendly.

Biodarren

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I'm a serving Police officer in the UK and i just want the brightest, most practical torch (sorry, flashlight! lol) that i can carry everyday. A good mixture of flood and throw is what i'm after the most.

I'm using an MTE M3-2 Cree MC-E at the moment which i bought after i gave my Father my Q5 Solarforce (great throw but wanted more output). Although i'm relatively happy with the MTE, and it does push out the light, it certainly isnt in the 700 lumen bracket as advertised and being an MC-E emitter it has quite a poor throw.

The size of the head on the Catapult was my own minor concern but i think that is only a slight issue especially if it throws great.

I also considered a P7 as i heard that they were a great emitter but i couldnt find a decent one i liked.

My next purchase is going to be the one that i will keep for a long time and i have to be confident in it's ability before i spend my cash.

If anyone has any alternative suggestions other than these two that i could consider then please let me know!!

By the way, i always love the dedication and knowledge on CPF, it makes a refreshing change from some forums!! lovecpf

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a police officer the M21 is hands down a better choice for daily duty carry. You might also consider an M30 - but IMO the Catapult is too large for a duty light.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a police officer the M21 is hands down a better choice for daily duty carry. You might also consider an M30 - but IMO the Catapult is too large for a duty light.

Unless you've been carrying a Magcharger or Ultrastinger on your belt...

stallion2

Enlightened
Hmm, I haven't tried swapping heads but I'd bet they LEGO. Whatchya thinking?

if i'm going somewhere i like to pack as light (weight) as possible. i thought it would be a benefit if i could take both heads but only one body and switch

Biodarren

Newly Enlightened
For the amount of output that these lights put out i really am not too bothered about the extra wait of the catapult.

I have just seen the Solarforce Skyline on another thread. Has anyone got one of these or could be objective compared to the M21 or Thrunite?

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I got my M21 today. The beam is similar to my M30 with a large hot spot and bright spill. The spill is not as wide as the M30 and the transition from spot to spill is very smooth. It is not going to be anything close to a thrower. Just from a initial white wall hunt, it does produce lots of light for it's size. Comparing it to two lights I have with similar beam patterns, I would put it somewhere in the middle of my PD30 and my M30. 350 lumens, maybe a bit more. The beam is very good. It is smooth and centered. Fit and finish is typical Olight. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do outside tonight. I wish I could snap a couple of pictures for you, but my camera isn't working.

Biodarren

Newly Enlightened
I would love to see some beam shots if you can get a camera!!

I think i am swaying towards the Catapult at the moment. It just looks like a very well made light that should be able to put up with any potential knocks that may come its way when i'm on duty. Ive only ever had cree emitters though so i will be stepping into "unlightened" territory!!:candle:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
More info:

I see no output difference between 18650 and RCR123's. Though the difference is hard to see on other multi powered lights, I have seen a difference A/B'ing my T20C2 and T10LC2.
I also notice no PWM on low and medium.

As far as my camera goes, the jack for the usb is broken, so I can't load pictures onto my computer. Sorry.

stallion2

Enlightened
I would love to see some beam shots if you can get a camera!!

I think i am swaying towards the Catapult at the moment. It just looks like a very well made light that should be able to put up with any potential knocks that may come its way when i'm on duty.

i'll get some tonight...i have an M20 and M30 so i can do comparison shots.

I got my M21 today. The beam is similar to my M30 with a large hot spot and bright spill. The spill is not as wide as the M30 and the transition from spot to spill is very smooth. It is not going to be anything close to a thrower. Just from a initial white wall hunt, it does produce lots of light for it's size. Comparing it to two lights I have with similar beam patterns, I would put it somewhere in the middle of my PD30 and my M30. 350 lumens, maybe a bit more. The beam is very good. It is smooth and centered. Fit and finish is typical Olight. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do outside tonight. I wish I could snap a couple of pictures for you, but my camera isn't working.

i haven't been able to find a thorough review on the M21 so i'll punish you w/ some questions. it sounds like you're less than impressed. i never expected it to have more flood than an M30 but does it at least have more throw? i was hoping it would have a beam more like the M20 but a lot brighter, now it sounds like its somewhere in between, yes/no? do you feel as though its a practical light? if you have to grab a light on short notice would this be one of the first you reach for? if not then what would you grab before this?