A better charger than Lacrosse BC-9009 and MH-C9000

apostolis22

Newly Enlightened
I had been reading almost all the threads i could find that have to do with these 2 chargers. Especially I read many posts from Mike abcd and SilverFox.

I came to the conclusion than none of the two chargers are really good.

Is there a better charger than these two that cost up to 150$ ?

P.S Why I cant send private messages to users?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next step up is a good hobby charger. The biggest drawback to them, is they are primarily designed for charging packs with cells that are in series. This limits you to one or maybe two independent channels.

You can't PM until you have, I believe, 10 posts. I think this is a form of "spammer" control.

Dave

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many will say you came to the wrong conclusion regarding the MH-C9000.

If you want a charger that will charge pretty much everything under the sun and don't mind having to make your own battery holders, as 45/70 said, a hobby charger would be the next step up.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, no charger is perfect, including the C9000. For instance it doesn't have slots for C and D cells even though it could charge them at a perfectly respectable 2 A if it did. But I would have to say it is a really good charger.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Yes, no charger is perfect, including the C9000. For instance it doesn't have slots for C and D cells even though it could charge them at a perfectly respectable 2 A if it did. But I would have to say it is a really good charger.

I second that! It's the only charger that I feel safe leaving my batteries unattended knowing that it won't overheat my batteries. I have an Ansmann Powerline 5 charger that is non-programmable that can charge C and D cells but it once in a while it'll heat up my batteries so I have to keep on checking on it.

Bones

Enlightened
I had been reading almost all the threads i could find that have to do with these 2 chargers. Especially I read many posts from Mike abcd and SilverFox.

I too read the extensive dialogue between Mike abcd and SilverFox, and still decided to purchase the first release of MH-C9000. Forearmed with the few cautions initially set down by SilverFox, I have since utilized it as my primary charger/analyzer without incident.

Of course, almost immediately after its release, the charger underwent a revision that I believe more than adequately addressed the termination issues with the first release. Consequently, I now consider it the best in its class, with a charging methodology that is inherently gentle and safe providing your cells will reach at least 1.47 volts, in which regard this post by Mr Happy is relevant:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post3165792

It bears mentioning that should your cells not reach 1.47 volts, than the charger will have to rely on negative deltaV to terminate, and the charge rate must then be set to high enough to maximize that signal, ie: 0.5C to 1.0C.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use this one: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7523 it works really well with any cell chemistry and I use the included thermal sensor to have the charge cut off if the cell gets too warm.

It does require a 12V power source - I use a computer PSU.
It also only has one charging port, so you have to charge multiple cells in series or parallel - compared to 4 separate charging channels on many good NiMH chargers.