RCR123 - I am all mixed up

kestak

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I am reading since a little while here and I AM LOST.

I got it that for my AA the Lacrosse 9009 and Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrids are the way to go. Yay! I even discovered you can put an AA into a spacer and it becomes compatible with flashlights using D batteries.This problem solved.

------
I have a simple question that maybe someone can answer:

I bought an ATN night vision rifle scope that uses 2 CR123 batteries. I want to use rechargeable batteries instead of normal ones (if possible).

I read about explosions, overheating, batteries damaging the electronic, protected unprotected circuits, etc...

What charger and battery do you recommend/can I use?

Thank you

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You probably don't want to use RCR123's in that scope unless you know that it can handle the additional voltage (8.4V vs. 6.0). Otherwise it might go poof!

There are rechargeable lithium batteries that can replace CR123's and have the same voltage, but I am not personally experienced with them, but someone here will tell you more.

kestak

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

The problem with this scope is the time the batteries last WHEN NOT USING THE IR illuminator. When using it, it goes down to a 2-3 hours. And it is bad to lose power when you are aiming at a target (Varmints...not humans yet...:twothumbs).

Scope Magnification: 4X
Lens system: F1-1.4, F90mm
FOV: 6 Degrees
Range of focus: 4m to infinity
Reticle: Red On Green
Windage & elevation adjustments: 1/8 MOA
ATN IR illuminator: Super 450mw
Battery life: 10-20 hours
Dimensions: 12"x4"x2.8"
Diopter adjustment: +-5
Operating temperature: -40 C to +40 C
Weight: 2.8 lbs.

The best price I found for non-rechargeable Surefire is 21$/12 pack. I use normal AA in my head mounted IR, but I am not using it for shooting. I really need to find a more economical solution.

Thank you

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm .... a more economical solution ....(in batteries)....for a night vision scope .... Hmm....

Whatever rechargables you may end up with , their output should not exceed 3.25 volts or you may FRY your expensive scope . (have you thought of rechargable bullets too)

EDIT/P.S. > and be aware that some rechargables may not fit in the battery compartment. (size-wise )

Last edited:

kestak

Newly Enlightened
Greetings,

I just bought 3 boxes of 12 surefire at 21$ each. Until I run out of those, I'll try to find a solution maybe the Life0something will work.

Thank you