What voltage does a CR123 die at?

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Fenix TK-11 for 2 years nows and I noticed the beam was low yesterday so I put a new set of batteries in it. The new batteries had a voltage reading of 3.24 volts, the old batteries were at 2.879 volts - that loss of .361 volts represents a reduction of 11%. I assume that's a sufficient amount of loss? Thanks.

Illum

Flashaholic
the internal resistance of LiMnO2 cells exist that the OCV exists relatively nominal until the capacity of the cell literally drains to nothing. So if your measuring the cells with no load, they essentially die at the same voltage as they were new.

now...if you apply some load to it, they should sag [CCV] of around 1.5-2V

tpcollins

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused - if check the battery with a voltmeter, aren't I putting a load on it then?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused - if check the battery with a voltmeter, aren't I putting a load on it then?
It depends.

Some DMMs have a special battery test function that applies a load on a battery. If it does not have a battery test function, it's not applying a load and you are simply checking the open circuit voltage.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
All of my used up CR123's read right at a out 2.85 volts. I have had some battery miser lights draw a CR123 to a little under 2 volts open circuit, but that is rare. As already noted, the state of resting voltage is not a good indication of remaining capacity,, though I find that if a cell measures 2.90 volts, there is still some good life in it, not much, but some.

Bill

Latest posts