K2 to P7

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Energizer torch (flashlight) that has a luxeon K2 emitter running on 2 D cells. Am I able to just ditch the K2 and put in it's place a SSC P7, or will I need to modify any other electronic components. I'm a mod virgin so please be gentle.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You'll get more output and less throw. If it's a current version of the K2, then you won't get too much more output.

If it uses a reflector, you might have to wide the base of the reflector for the LED to fit, but besides that, the driver should work fine.

If it uses an optic, then you won't be able to do much.

I'd suggest a Seoul P4 for this mod.

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
I was considering a Q5 version of this mod as I also have an old K2 type Terralux dropin. Would you have concerns on this or is the suggestion of a P4 simply because of the die size being similiar whereas the Q5 has a tiny die area.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
:welcome:

Hi!
Does this flashlight have a metal or plastic body? Do you know what model it is, and is the K2 the LED it came with?

If the body is plastic you can probably forget about using a P7 at it's maximum brightness.
Most likely the K2 LED it uses is the standard version which has decent output, but there is a newer,
brighter version of it. This is the K2 TFFC. It should be a direct replacement in your light.
The Seoul P4 should also be an improvement though it may have a wider bright spot depending on the reflector/optic used. The TFFC generally has a tighter beam than the P4 and higher output.

If you want to use a P7 I would suggest starting with D or C cell Maglite. All the parts and information you need are available in this forum.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The torch in question has a plastic body but a large aluminium cone where the led sits. I spose it's a heatsink but large and thin. I have a couple of 4D mags I'm considering modding. Just have to get the guts to pull apart one of these beauties and hopefully put it back together working better than before.