TerraLUX TLE-1x Headlamp Upgrade

tnuckels

Enlightened
I recently bought 2 each of TerraLUX's TLE-1S (screw mount) & TLE-1F (flange mount) replacement "bulbs". My intention was to use them as upgrades to my old Petzl Micro and my father's old Princeton Tec Matrix headlamps, which use screw and flange bulbs, respectively.

I was unable to find a suitable position within the focusing head of the Micro to obtain a usable beam. Further, the tint of the 1S was very poor, being a dim yellow-green, and its output seemed considerably less than the old EverLED bulb it was intended to replace, though that may have been due to the striking color difference between the two.

Prior to installing the 1F in the Matrix I decided to try it out in a 3 cell Mag handheld. Once again the tint was the same yellow-green, and though I was able to find a usable beam pattern, it was nowhere near as good as the side-emitter EverLED, nor as bright, again tint may color brightness in the eye of the beholder. I changed batteries and swapped LEDs between the two handhelds but the results were the same.

I have since sent the two opened and two unopened samples back to the vendor for a refund. Counting the shipping in both directions and the restock fee about 40% of my purchase was for the joy of being frustrated by this experience, and so I thought to share it with others.

Couple of points:

I probably should have tried the other two unopened bulbs, in the name of scientific sampling

I should have taken some beam shots to bolster my claims

I have read that some low cost dealers sell what are essentially manufacturer quality control rejects, and though I did pay toward to low end of the spectrum for these, I've always had good luck with this re-seller in the past

I have used other TerraLUX products in the past, mostly mini-m@g drop-ins, and had good experiences with them, especially considering how old the products are.

So, was I just unlucky this go round, or did I get what every cheap ******* deserves, or were these two identical performing dud samples, or is the TLE-1x just a sub-par product? I look forward to any contrary or confirming comments.

EDIT: BTW, it appears that the EverLED bulbs are no longer available. Bummer. While pricy, they were a great performer and could handle anything from 1.5 to 9 VDC. I wish now that I hadn't gutted that one extra I had only to find inside … a LED Dynamics MicroPuck. At the time I hadn't made the connection that EverLED is made by LED Dynamics, who makes the Micro Puck.

Never mind. I got an email from LED Dynamics who said they still make the EverLED bulb, and they provided a pointer to LED Supply. Dang, I forgot just how pricey these are … but at least they work well.

Last edited: