I dropped my DEFT !!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I could have sworn I had the wrist strap on when I flipped my Saabluster DEFT into my other hand. Alas, I did not.

The light fell straight down from about 4 feet onto concrete, landing squarely on the edge of the bezel. Given that it was in the 40's, I was expecting to pick up shattered pieces.

Look how well this held up. This was the ONLY damage. It did dislodge the newer version inside lens over the LED, but that was just put back no problem. This is a real testimony to the strength of the fiber bezel construction Saabluster used. (thumbs)

All I did to fix it was apply some clear "Epoxy 330" and it is nearly as good as new. Pretty amazing.

Hacken

Enlightened
like that carbon fiber look to it.. reminds me of my CF hood I had a while back..

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
That's very impressive how it held up to the impact. It seems like an all-around top quality light, along with its unbelievable performance. Nice job on the repair, and thanks for showing this, LuxLuthor.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch Lux! And that was on the newest one too. Good job on the repair though. Hope it holds. If not and you want me to work on it let me know.

Looks great, but I'm concerned those layers don't look very well bonded at all.

The outer coat is an automotive clear coat. We go to great lengths to see that the plastic surface is prepared to accept the paint layer but there is only so much one can do. Try throwing a rock at your car and see how it fairs. And keep in mind we can't use any primer like is used on a car. It is and should be considered a beauty enhancing layer and not a structural layer. I can assure you that the underling structure is very strong. It will hold up to repeated bashings with large metal tools without adversely affecting the structural strength or ability to protect the lens which is its main point. I've had some fun doing testing in this regard.

That said I am always trying to improve things and have a few ideas I am working on for the carbon fiber model when I bring it back. The soon to be released FTP model DEFT is going to have a high impact resistant bezel for use in "the line of duty". My goal is that if you drop it from normal heights(4'-5') you will see little or no damage at all on the bezel itself. I am using a highly abrasion resistant material combined with an energy absorbing and redistributing structure. It's not done yet but I am working feverishly on it. It is hard with limited resources.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sounds good, Michael. I didn't really appreciate that your custom bezel was as strong as it was. I was not expecting to pick up the light with such minimal damage.

Partly because of the cold winter being hard to hold a freezing cold metal flashlight, but also now because of the slippery body the DEFT has (like many flashlights without effective grid patterns), I am going to add that layer of Pachmayr "Pac-Skin" which is used primarily for handgun grips.

The 5"x20" size is a perfect fit for DEFT and Mag D handle. I clean with alcohol, mask the button then spray some 3M spray adhesive. Presto--insulated, effective grip.