Info on XM-18

BBQ BOY

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of one of these knives but before I do can anyone tell me about the utility factor. Would you say this knife is built for heavy utility more so than a slicer? I would like to be able to pry with it just a little bit and if I do I would not be prying a lot of weight. How about batoning and so on?
Does it carry nicely clipped to the inside of your front pocket? THat's what I love about my SnG CC. It disappears in my pocket making it easy for my hand to slide in out without catching the knife.

Last edited:

brucec

Enlightened
I have a 3.5" XM-18 and it is quite the beast of a knife. I find the blade is very thick and heavy, but it handles OK due to the great ergonomics. The XM-18 is obviously made for heavy duty purposes and I think batoning or a bit of prying should be fine. I don't have too many other larger knives to compare it to, but I think it must be very very tough in comparison. It feels much sturdier than my Spyderco Endura. It has an almost tanto like blade which makes for a somewhat awkward bevel at the belly of the knife. This is not very good for slicing an apple, but it would probably be good for stabbing a makeshift door through drywall or something. My preference is for smaller thinner slicing blades. My favorite small knives are the small Sebenza 21 and Benchmade 707 and my most used larger knife is a Spyderco Stretch II. I am positive the XM-18 has them all beat in terms of sheer toughness, but it is too big, heavy, and thick for my purposes. I don't think the 3.5" version is very comfortable for front pocket carry in jeans. Maybe the 3" version would be better, but if it is as thick as the 3.5" version, it would be a very stout knife.

commodorewheeler

Newly Enlightened
I am in search of one of these knives but before I do can anyone tell me about the utility factor. Would you say this knife is built for heavy utility more so than a slicer? I would like to be able to pry with it just a little bit and if I do I would not be prying a lot of weight. How about batoning and so on?
Does it carry nicely clipped to the inside of your front pocket? THat's what I love about my SnG CC. It disappears in my pocket making it easy for my hand to slide in out without catching the knife.

I have owned and carried several XM-18s in the past couple of years, and I would say that the 3 1/2" version of it is perfect for the things that you are asking about. It is definitely a heavy utility knife more than it is a slicer. I pried at stuff a little bit with mine and had absolutely no problems at all, and I would say that the XM-18 stands up to batoning as well as any folder does.

The XM-18 definitely feels a little bit more overbuilt than the SNG CC does. I found that it carried just fine in the front pocket, but it doesn't disappear into the pocket quite as well as an SNG CC does, since the SNG CC is slimmer and better contoured. It does feel like it is built tougher than the SNG CC, so I guess that is the trade-off that you get.

tundratrader

Enlightened
IMHO the XM-18 is the best knife ever made period. It is smooth as anything, kinda makes my sng look whimpy to be honest. It is a decent slicer, I would not hesitate to baton with it. But I usual have a fixed blade for that if I need it. I dont think there is anything it doesnt have or do. The clip is not as tight as the strider ones. But it is reversible so that is nice. When it is carried tip up it is a very low riding knife.

There are a couple on the bay right now.
Arizona custom had a few this morning but they only lasted a few minutes as they always do. They usual get a few every month from Rick and post them on Fridays

It just rocks!!! Dont hesitate to get one.
Zach

BBQ BOY

Newly Enlightened
Well I bought a BNIB black flipper for $500 and it should be here soon. Can't wait.
Next I am on the look out for a good cutter. Looking at Sebenza or the Fallkiniven PXL.

tundratrader

Enlightened
SWEET!!

That is a good price, I have noticed that dealers had them for 475 and now they are 495 if you can even find them. Out of curiosity where did you find yours?

BBQ BOY

Newly Enlightened
Bought from a member on Jerseydevil.com and it was NIB.
Came in today and so far I am IMPRESSED!!!! Has an amazing feel and definitely fells durable. I haven't used it yet but it inspires confidence. If you are a Alpha male then you need this. Now just need to decide which color scales to get. The blue, orange or the new digicamo, which I already have on my Paramilitary.
IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I initially wanted the tan or gray version, but aftet my eyes spoptted the yellow scales, the was no going back :D

XM18opensmall.jpg

Knifecolors3small.jpg

bernie

mbrown

Newly Enlightened
The yellow is cool! I dont think I have seen one for sale with yellow. Is that a factory scale?

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying do decide witch knife I want to buy 3.5" flipper ore none flipper.
What are the pros\cons?

thanks.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am a new member to the family, and just got a 3.5" flipper. I have plenty of high-end non-flipper knives, and I love them all. This action is so smooth, and the lock-up so tight, that I can't imagine having the non flipper. It's an absolute joy to open, a beast of a knife, and a pleasure to use. I look forward to haivng REAL work to feed it, so far, it has only done twine and box work.

On a side note, I want to change out the scale, anybody have good suggestions for a nice selection AND a place that has the required tools in stock? I believe I need th armorers kit to remove the scale, no?

I'm thinking orange, make it look less "big bad and scary" and more "big tough and helpful."

Last edited: