Vibram FiveFingers

LEDobsession

Enlightened
So I found some crazy looking shoes in a rock climbing magazine a couple of years back and just recently was reminded of them, and I have decided that when I can actually find a place that isn't sold out, I'll buy some. They are called the Five Fingers, made by Vibram of Italy. Remember those old toe socks? Thats basically what these are only with a sole. They say its like going barefoot with some protection. Great for running, hiking, water, yoga, and many other outdoor activities.

Anyone here had a pair, seen them worn by others, or even heard of these before?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can just see people getting their little toes hurt by hitting on a rock or something hard, no thanks!

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I thought about that but I plan on mostly using them on the Slack Line and running. You're definitely right though, that could really hurt. :ohgeez:

Im still stuck on getting them. Haha.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Thats it. I'm gettin some tomorrow. Haha.

What "model" do you own, mossyoak? Worth the $$?

I don't know why I have to have them now, Its blasted snowing here in Utah right now. Curse you snow!

Solus

Newly Enlightened
I have two pairs of them. The first pair Which I've been wearing almost every day for about two years now are the KSO's. The kso's are made to keep stuff out, hence te name. They do a fairly good job at keeping thing warm in cooler weather. I wear them in the winter even in the snow but I'm crazy. The other pair I have are the classics. I've had them sence the summer. They are great for the easy on and off thing. They are a tad on the fem side though. They are both equaly great at keeping the feet safe on supper hot surfaces and in rocky areas while preserving the barefoot feeling. As far as stoning your toes it hurts much less then if you were to do it barefoot. They have a little overlap over the toes to sorta protect them. When you buy them make sure you measure your foot and get the right size. The black kso's are slightly tighter then the grey and soon to be discontinued brown ones so make sure you try on a few pairs. The kso's are my personal favorite and the most confertable of the bunch I think. I havnt had the chance to try the new treks due to lack of fnds but they are said to be warmer and comfertable as well. If you wear them in public be prepaired for stares and questions.

Last edited:

hawkz

Newly Enlightened
I've got 3 pairs. 2 were on clearance so they there strange blue colors. The third one I splurged and got all-black KSOs. I think the KSO are my favorite. I use them to walk around on the weekends and to go jogging at the local lake. They are NOT recommended for any place there's pebbles and rougher terrain. This kind of roading will bring you to your knees, I promise.

They're coming out with a newer model that has a harder bottom for use on rougher trails. Here's a link:

http://funcfash.com/2009/07/new-vibram-fivefingers-kso-trek-uses-kangaroo/

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I've got 3 pairs. 2 were on clearance so they there strange blue colors. The third one I splurged and got all-black KSOs. I think the KSO are my favorite. I use them to walk around on the weekends and to go jogging at the local lake. They are NOT recommended for any place there's pebbles and rougher terrain. This kind of roading will bring you to your knees, I promise.

They're coming out with a newer model that has a harder bottom for use on rougher trails. Here's a link:

http://funcfash.com/2009/07/new-vibram-fivefingers-kso-trek-uses-kangaroo/

Yeah I saw those on their website. Looks nice but a bit more pricey too. I'm thinking I'll go for the black KSO's unless I try on the KSO Treks and like them more.

KSO's here, very comfy yet you still have the bare foot walking sensation but with more protection for your feet. :)

That seems to be the just of all I've heard. Nothing but good for fit and feel. The worst I've heard of them is the smell and some have worn the sole out right through to their foot. :eek:

Im going hunting in the morning for some. :twothumbs

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I have 2 pairs of the KSO's. I was a little skeptical when I bought my first pair, but I find them to be incredibly comfortable. I wear them pretty much all the time when not at work.

burtonmotox

Newly Enlightened
Classics here, love them. Really have to work on your stride if you are doing a lot of walking on hard surfaces. Grip well, but classics tend to want to come off of your feet while swimming and such because of their lack of straps. Also odor becomes an issue. I have found the best way is either use them in the water all the time, or wash them occasionally and use some of that all natural crystal style deodorant spray. Other then that they are wonderful, get lots of looks.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I got a pair of the Sprint and then followed up with a purchase of two more pair as I figured these might not be available down the road. I prefer going barefoot but I do wear them at times when I am riding my wave ski in waves breaking in shallow water over the reefs. I haven't tried them on the surfboard but suspect they would work reasonably well. They do conform well and give you a feel of barefeet with protection. :thumbsup:

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
These shoes are actually good for the intrinsic muscles of the feet. There is very little extra support and your muscles have to do what they are supposed to do.

Solus

Newly Enlightened
Being barefoot is best but for the times where being barefoot ist an option fivefingers are the best option. Like the above poster said they are good for the feet. From wearing shoes most of our lives are feet get lazy. These shoes/being barefoot force your feet to use all of the muscles. Make sure you ease into them slowly. Unacustomed feet can hurt after awhile.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I got myself a pair at a local dealer yesterday. For the small town they were at, the guy helping me said they sold tons of them, in fact, many people came there from other dealers in SLC for better selection. They sell so much that the KSOs, which I wanted, were sold out and I had to buy the next pair I liked, the Flows. They gave me a discount because one shoe had a stitching coming undone. I pulled out the needle and thread and... viola, fixed! I already love these things!

Patriot

Flashaholic
=LEDobsession;3171204] They say its like going barefoot with some protection. Great for running, hiking, water, yoga, and many other outdoor activities.

I could see where they would be fantastic in many applications but I'd probably have to cross running off the list. I'm a runner and mountain biker and can't imagine doing any serious running on pavement without more protection and arch support. I'm not sure of the the historical facts, but I seem to recall that even ancient runners used a supportive shoe of some type. I'm not sure though....nor do I know what the indigenous people with their great running heritage on the African continent use. Guess I'll have to go find out.