Suggestions for more throw (modded mag)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
A year or so ago I decided to mod a 3D mag with a P7 running DD on 3 D cell rechargable's. I picked up a reflector from the sandwich shoppe http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?products_id=808 to help with the excessive doughnut hole though it didn't completely get rid of it. I really like the light and don't really have any complaints but I keep wondering if a different reflector or optic would provide me with a better beam/throw and get rid of the hole.

I recently got a new job working the night shift and with all the ambient light around me from street lights its the only light in my collection that gives me the spotting distance needed, but because of the beam pattern that's still only around 50 to 75 yards then after that it gets washed out.

Right now its my mag and a milky modded SF L2 that get the most use, the SF for up close and the mag for the long range stuff. I've also tried my pelican 7060 and my other SF's mostly with malkoff drop-in's but the mag is the only one that produces enough light to be useful at a distance with the presents of ambient light.

So my question is, is their a better reflector/optic, should I upgrade to a different LED, or should I get a new light? :devil:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I don't want to get too complex with it, going to a mag85 would mean a AA battery pack, bulb, tower and most likely more money than I'm looking to spend. Though the SST led would give me more output would I need to change my battery set-up and would it produce a flood or throw beam?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest two options:

#1,
Budget Option:
WF500 Host
5xCree Dx Drop-in
Runs on 2xAW18500

I have this set-up & it's got throw almost as far as Mag85.
P7/Mc3/SSR-50/SSR-90, non of them can match the throw of
5xXRE perfectly paired up with smooth reflector.
Need to mod on the heat sink connection to body. Mine is still running stong, but the other guy burned it out.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237067

#2,
Best throw you can get with big lED.
SSR-90 de-doom in a Mag Host with mag SMO stock reflector

The SSR-90 doesn't throw further than p7, the doom lens make the die appears to be
3x bigger. The SSR-90 de-doom does not drop out-put like XRE, because
the doom is not contacting the die to begin with, it's only acting like
a colinmator lens & send more light forward, therfore the doom will give you more spill, less throw due to:

1. More light is sent forward & escape the reflector.
2. Increased apparent die size reduce light intensity & thus reduce throw.
It's still a lot of light, I have some beam shots against Mag85 here (SSR-90 with Doom):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/238232

I did the De-doom SST-90 mod (using SST-90) & was shocked how strong the throw was,
it's got pretty good beam with stock smooth reflector, with P7 size hot spot just much brighter hot spot
with reduced spill.

Unfortunately, I poofed the SST-90 before I has a chance to take photos of my de-doom build
& post as DIY, I am going to stick to SSR going forward, the SST is to fragile for me.

You can obviously do Aspherical mod on SSR 50 or 90, but zero spill may not be practical.

Also, SSR-50 won't throw any further than P7 under same driving current,
unless you drive it up to 5A. DD with single LI-ion will not get to 5A.

SSR-90 de-doom will drive up to 4-5A under 25600 IMR single Li-ion,
due to de-doom, gives same size hot spot as SSR-50 with doom.
So, for Simple Build, the SSR-90 de-doom with 1 IMR is a great option.
If you manage to drive it to 9A, it'll go crazy throw.

With doom, it'll still throw as far as P7, but with a jumbo hot spot
St least, it throw further than 3xP7 using 3 smaller reflectors.

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Kinda liking the SSR-90 idea but I see some threads talking about 2250 lumens, I'm guessing that requires a driver?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda liking the SSR-90 idea but I see some threads talking about 2250 lumens, I'm guessing that requires a driver?

2250 lumens need both Top Bin (N-Bin) and 9A current, plus excellent heatsinking beyond P7.

No current limiting driver can do 9A, a few have done it with modified DC-DC converter, looks quite complex. Alternatively, you can get to 7-8A with 4xNiMN.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you use the SST-50 or SST-90, your current setup will work, just swap the LED. I'd suggest the SST-50 because it doesn't require as much current as the SST-90, and it won't have a doughnut hole because it is a single die LED unlike the 4 die Seoul P7.

Both the SST-50 and SST-90 have similar Vfs to the Seoul P7.

SST-50 page.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I looked over a lot of options, some of them will still happen but for now I have found a quick fix that turned out better than I thought. I found the "How to" for sputtering a reflector and went to work on my stock mag reflector. Probably won't solve the problem of throw but it sure did make the beam a lot better.

It looks better in person but I had a hard time getting a good pic with all the reflection.
Picture860.jpg

Painted the back too, to help with light loss.
Picture859.jpg

Picture858.jpg

I'm not very good at beam shots and it is the middle of the day but the beam is now flawless with no more doughnut hole.
Picture862.jpg