Duracell Procell

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
We get the Procell version of Duracell batteries at work.
Lately some of the AA procells have been made in China.
Do the China cells last/perform as well as the U.S. made batteries?
Are some of the coppertops sold in stores now made in china? Is Duracell moving production?

I have noticed that products made in China, that come with Duracells ,have china made cells. Which makes since for shipping reasons.

I realize that all Alkline batteries can leak and are not recommended for high performance lights, but what is the max current that should be put on a AA alkline.
I just want to take advantage of using the free (to me) batteries at work.

Egsise

Banned
You really want to gamble with alkies?
Do you get flashlights, cameras etc. for free too?
Alkies can leak even if you just leave them in your drawer.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've phased out alkalines after some bad experiences with them. Had 1 set leak inside of a Mini M@g Lite and another set just go poof sitting in a box unused.

The ones made overseas in my experience are alright but they will leak or pop (bust) just like the others. Sometimes they have less juice than the name brand counterparts.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
You really want to gamble with alkies?
Do you get flashlights, cameras etc. for free too?
Alkies can leak even if you just leave them in your drawer.
Well I quess my employer is willing to take this risk since they buy these batteries in bulk.
Also, I can purchase electrical equipment with company funds.

I am just currious what the quality differance is between the china and U.S. Duracells.

I have read several times on CPF to look for U.S. made primaries, wondered if this applies to alklines to.

JBorneu

Enlightened
I am just currious what the quality differance is between the china and U.S. Duracells.

I have read several times on CPF to look for U.S. made primaries, wondered if this applies to alklines to.

For primary alkalines, the difference is not relevant.

The big "usa-made" thing is with primary CR123 cells. These cells won't just leak if something goes wrong, like alkalines do, they can explode violently. These explosions are caused either by quality control problems from the manufacturer or by improper use by the consumer (mixing old and new / charged and discharged / different brands cells). Quality control is almoast always better in the USA / Japan than in China. It's just a different working culture.

For CR123 primaries, buy USA or Japan made, for alkalines, no difference. But be aware of leaking alkalines, all brands, all types can leak, no matter how fresh / usa-made / properly stored and used they are.