Versati ET10 FRUSTRATION!

fnj

Enlightened
Help!!!

:shakehead

OK, I bought two of them supposedly brand new from ebay about a week apart. They were both DOA! This is pretty hard to believe. Surely I must be doing something wrong. Fresh AAA Duracell, right? Button (+ terminal) up, toward's the LED, right? Screw it together and loosen it a bit and it should come on, right? The springs are fine. Neither one gives any light at all, not at ANY position of head screw.

Really beautiful workmanship, by the way.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are among the best looking AAA lights available today IMHO... I've been on the sidelines trying to decide; I think you pushed me over the edge.

fnj, good luck in getting your issues resolved.

Last edited:

Dan FO

Enlightened

Marduke

Flashaholic
It would only somtimes turn on, rarely switch levels and would instead just flicker at a low output, and the threads were HORRIBLE. My fingers were raw after just one day of trying to get it to work.

Every time the head came off for whatever reason, it would behave completely differently when it put it back together.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand exactely how the switch works but if you look closely in the head, there is a transparent plastic disc. There is three brass pins around that disk. They should all touch the brass contact on the board. I guess that they must not be well aligned. I had to turn carefully the plastic disk to make the pins touch the inner contact ring to make the second level work on mine. Use a needle or some fine tweezers.

Another topic about that lamp. Mine is the low first version. When I switch to the higher level, nothing happens for the first 2 seconds and then a 2 seconds ramping sequence to reach the high setting. Kind of cool but not when you need light fast...

Anyone has experienced that behavior ?

Incidentalist

Enlightened
The ramping from low to high is normal on the low first models. I noticed it initially as well and inquired about it with the dealer. The dealer confirmed that this is how they operate. I agree, I prefer the instant jump.

I've not had any issues with mine other than the cruddy threads. The beam, on the other hand, is awesome!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ramping from low to high is normal on the low first models. I noticed it initially as well and inquired about it with the dealer. The dealer confirmed that this is how they operate. I agree, I prefer the instant jump.

I've not had any issues with mine other than the cruddy threads. The beam, on the other hand, is awesome!

Thanks for the info !:thumbsup:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two of them (one low first and the other high first) and they both work perfectly well. The only complaint I have is that on one of them I had to replace the o-ring with a thinner one for an easier turning of the head.

fnj

Enlightened
I have two of them (one low first and the other high first) and they both work perfectly well. The only complaint I have is that on one of them I had to replace the o-ring with a thinner one for an easier turning of the head.

Is there any trick to turning them on the first time? Battery in, positive contact up, put together, tighten head, loosen slightly, right?

Basically one would never loosen the bezel, right?

I'm strongly suspecting I'm just doing something wrong - I mean 2 out of 2?!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you check the head with a DMM (in case you have one) there's one failproof test: you put a battery in the body and as soon as the head touches the body even before you start to engage the threads the light must come on. If it does not it is likely that the circuit is dead.

If this is the case I suggest you send a mail to VersaTi <[email protected]> and explain the situation: I have been in contact with them and found them quite helpful. I got the impression that there is only one fellow answering this kind of mail so in case he's out of the office on a business trip it may take a few days before you get an answer.

I am quite confident that they will take good care of you i.e. you will receive new pills for your lights. Please keep us posted.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
The led should come on before you get it all the way together. Mine comes on as soon as the nip on the battery touches the center contact in the head. If it doesn't check that the switch pin can move freely it should be straight and push in and out easily.
I don't trust the threads or the switching mechanism in this light and am trying to do something about that or sell/shelf it.
Chris
Beat out by sloow typing

Last edited:

fnj

Enlightened
The led should come on before you get it all the way together. Mine comes on as soon as the nip on the battery touches the center contact in the head. If it doesn't check that the switch pin can move freely it should be straight and push in and out easily.
I don't trust the threads or the switching mechanism in this light and am trying to do something about that or sell/shelf it.
Chris
Beat out by sloow typing

That helps. I tried making a circuit by using a single cell with test leads, touching the negative to the shell of the head and touching the positive to the center contact in the head. It doesn't light when I touch the center contact, but it lights when I apply point pressure on the right part of the perimeter of the contact! It's definitely not corrosion; it's a mechanical problem.

There's no way they do proper testing on these before sending them out. Looks like systematic poor QC.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I read this thread as the Versati was on my radar as one of the next AAA lights to buy. I just saved me some $74!!!

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The output on high is questionable on mine. Specs say 45lm, I get 14lm. Maybe it's just my light.