Gerber Expert 2xCR123A military LED light - anybody try one?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the Gerber Expert M flashlight on a few dealer web pages, but never see it discussed on CPF. It is designated as "military," runs on 2 CR123A batteries, and the specs claim 100 lumen output.

The Gerber web site claims this light is made in USA, which is unusual for a Gerber flashlight nowadays.

Anybody try the Gerber Expert M? What is the runtime? How is the beam tint? the throw?

What type of LED does it use?

Thanks

[Note to moderator: If this is posted in the wrong forum, please move it. - Tnx]

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
While it could possibly be a good light, it's hard to get excited by Gerber's description of it.

Military specific type III, waterproof to 10 feet, high output energy efficient white LED, rugged compact design, one of the brightest, most robust lights on the market at ( a whopping 100 lumens ), almost half the price of the competition. (MSRP is $230)

No mention of the LED type or driver type, spec's are pure mush...

You would think for over $200 they'd give you a little more hype.

There's no mention of it, other than for sale...anywhere

The only way you'll see that reviewed is if someone gets it for free. :huh:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Most USA made gear that complies to the Berry Amendment for the US military is priced high, and will leave you :thinking: when you compare performance specs.

100 Lumens for 60 minutes should be easily obtainable from a pair of primary CR123 cells, unless they are using a severely out-dated emitter that requires a ton of current to get that much light.

Its in the same price / performance / market as the type III SF-C2L. Another USA made light that also has relatively un-impressive performance specs on paper.

If its P60 compatible it could make a nice host for an M60.

;)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments. Amazon has discounted the light so perhaps we'll see more comments about it in the future.

The 100 lumens for one hour rating is underwhelming, considering the K2 TFFC version Inova T2 pumps out 100 lumens for 4+ hours with the same two CR123A batteries.

That said, I like the physical appearance of the Gerber Expert.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reviving this old thread. Still wondering if any CPFers have owned a Gerber Expert military LED light? If so, what is your evaluation of it? Just curious.

Thanks.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I like the look of this light too. It looks quite sturdy, like you could throw it around without worry.... but at a $183 I can understand why we haven't seen a review here.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the light in person and actually did get to try it out. This was Gerber's contender for the MIL-Spec Kroma (KMS). Neither of these lights were designed by accident, but both were made at the request of the military (We, the US Military, want a light that does this, this, and this...and Gerber and SF answered), so, the Gerber M-II, has the exact same features of the Kroma; Red/Blue/NVG/IR, with the rotating ring, etc.. Put a fresnel lens on the Kroma Mil-Spec, and you have the Gerber M-II. The Gerber M-II how ever, doesn't use separate LED's like the KMS (except the IR LEDs), but functions a lot like the recon.

The Gerber M-II had to be made in the US for it to fit the bill for the military contract, much like the difference between the Gerber Recon (made in China) and the Gerber Recon-M (Made in USA).

It appears there's a filter disc underneath the semi-diffused fresnel lens, that changes the color, as opposed to separate LED's. It appeared well built, but not as well as the KMS. If you can't afford the KMS, but still need a light with all these functions, then this is probably your only other option. There was a big requirement mandating units going to Afghanistan to have "multi-spectrum LED lights" for black-outs, etc.

I can still go check it out if you guys have any more queries, etc. Hope this helped!

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ThruNite 1AA uses a single AA battery to power a CREE XM-L at 105 lumens for (2.2hrs) $59

<o><o>

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course there are MANY lights that will put out over 100 lumens for well over an hour, and at a price point much less than the Gerber Expert, but to be fair.... if I were in a combat situation, and my life depended on my light working under the harshest imaginable conditions and stress..... I don't think I'd have minded paying the extra price if it did indeed give me a light I could count on under those conditions.

So, there definitely is a place for an over engineered light like this (at least I'm guessing that the price reflects that)....... just maybe not in the collection of of your average CPF member :).

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the light in person and actually did get to try it out. ..... the Gerber M-II, has the exact same features of the Kroma; Red/Blue/NVG/IR, with the rotating ring, etc.. ...

Thanks for the info, although I think you are writing about the 40 lumen Gerber Recon-M II multi color light.

I was more curious about Gerber's other military 2xCR123A light, the 100 lumen Expert Military light.

The street price for either light is now about $120.

Thanks.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I have heard from someone at First Light that the costs to get a flashlight qualified as a military approved light are quite expensive. He told me this because I asked why they hadn't update their LED. I am assuming that this probably is why these companies don't update their lights that often because they would have to spend more money to go through the process to get the new version approved.
But if this is a new light I would still expect higher lumens and/or better runtime.