Building a Flashlight

tonym1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I am new here so I hope I dont bore people to death with my question. I would like to get a flashlight from Malkoff and had a look at their site but I just get more confused as what to get. I dont know what all the terms used mean and would probably be better off just buying one already madeup, one with a long really bright beam for use in the bush and to carry for self defence. I have a fenix TK10 and really like it and would like something around the same size, What would you get from this manufacturer? Thanks

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I will jump on this....

Malkoff has his own flashlight bodies....in these he mates the P60 dropins he designed...they have the driver, LEd and a plastic lens (actually a TIR optic) that forms the beam....

these optics have 2 advantages...first light losses are way less than a reflector. Second, they have predefined beam shapes....8-15-35-45 deg wide beams..

so malkoff made his choices and offers a narrow beam on and a wide beam one (Flood) (sorry I do not know the particlular beam degrees)

then there are choices on the light lever...
L is for low, LL is for very low...low is 170 lumens?

then he offers choices on the LED color, the "tint". The standard LED has a blusih white tint, like your xenon/HID car lights or camera flash...but there are versions that have a yellowish color close to the incadescent flashlights...this is the Warm LED

then there are the 30 and 60 series modules....the 60s work with one (diminished output) or two Lithium Ion rechargable batteries and 2 or 3 Cr123...

the 30s work with one CR123 or One Lithium Ion rechargable battery.

So noiw you can make sense of the M30LWF, can't you?

Regarding bodies the MD2 body is a good contender....

there is also another option, the 2 stage ring for the head...this is a ring that has a resistor....depending upon how much you tighten the head the ring allows electricity flow to the dropin either with or without the resistor....hence you can have a low and high output like when you twist your fenix head...

More expereinced members can offer more details but this is the essence, unless I am missing something...

Last edited:

tonym1

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for that explanation, I think I can work out what to build now I know what some things mean.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
just noticed...only 3 posts...as fersh as you can be....and you have a Tk10 going for a malkoff.....

well done and wellcome...

if you need more howler...