Flashaholic*

Default Re: Cars, Man

Not interested in being tracked that overtly
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Have you used Waze?
    I've used the adaptive routing on my phone before and found it kind of useless saving me little if any time with untimely changes and the usual pitfalls of GPS: using the least-prominent name for a road and emphasizing trivial routing information over critical information (keep right at the highway fork but then tells me afterwards that I needed to be in the right lane to exit).
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I've used the adaptive routing on my phone before and found it kind of useless saving me little if any time
    But how do you know how much time was saved if you don't know how long your default route took in that moment

Waze is not-optional in Cali, there's at least a half dozen ways for me to get to/from work and choosing wrong means the difference between a 30 min drive and an hour's drive. On any trip that takes more than one highway, even if I know the straightest route, I will always have Waze on.

Track me, smack me. If it cuts 30 minutes of me being stuck in stop - n - go traffic.... count me in.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic

It depends on the area. Waze learns the more people use it. It plugs in data from current users. For example, a few users took the route I'm about to take, it bases the info relayed to me on their travel. Speed, traffic, etc.

Since commercial GPS has been around developed countries for several years already (Magellan, TomTom, Garmin, etc.), a lot still use them which is why it took a while for Waze to be adopted. Since there are less users too, especially for those away from large metropolitan areas, Waze hasn't learned as much as some places.
    Also, Google in developed countries is quite complete and people would use Maps since it's already built in rather than download another app.

Google where I'm from can't even give a bus number or a train schedule, and most users are in the city just trying to look for a shorter route.

I started with Waze and Nokia Maps when they 1st came out. They didn't even have a map overlay. It was just showing a car over a blank area. I'm an early adopter.) Often they would only suggest 1 route because that's the only one the app has learned or in their database.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That article is only the first in a lengthy series of them covering the topic exhaustively in the new issue, I'd link you to the set but they don't have it on the site yet.
    The entire suite of articles on the autonomous car from the November issue.

Hm, well that's a new one; glad I stopped for gas tonight:

Johnny Bohmer's street-legal BADD GT; this Ford GT40 makes 2,700 emissions-compliant horsepower and has air conditioning/license plates/insurance, but here it loses boost at 292.9 MPH. Then the parachute rips. Then the rear rotors shatter. But this is how close we are to a 300 MPH street-legal car (it's tuned for a realistic ~310.)

The cockpit view of 284 mph in a street-legal production car on a [closed] public road; skip to ~4:00 and cackle evilly as the driver applies more throttle through each gear so the car accelerates harder from 175 mph:

This thread turns 8 years old later this week, and we just crossed half a million views, well played gents..

In other news: From the cars-I-forgot-about file, the 1991-92 Dodge Spirit R/T: A K-car with a 224hp Lotus-Chrysler turbo engine (1hp less than the Ford Mustang GT of the time,) 5-speed Getrag manual transmission (auto not available,) disc brakes all around with optional ABS, 0-60 in ~6 seconds, 14.5 sec quarter mile (on par with same-year Mustang/Camaro/Firebird,) top speed 141mph. 1,400 sold total.

Somebody posted audio of the new Corvette ZR1; it sounds exactly like the infamous Pantera at 2:28 - how they got a boosted front-engine car to sound like a rear-engined one is quite a feat of engineering..

Saw this Dodge Ram compact on the road today, clever little design:

Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 32727576777879808182