Flashaholic*

Default Re: Cars, Man

Not interested in being tracked that overtly
    Travis

Various Neutral Tinted/Hi CRI Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Have you used Waze?
    I've used the adaptive routing on my phone before and found it kind of useless saving me little if any time with untimely changes and the usual pitfalls of GPS: using the least-prominent name for a road and emphasizing trivial routing information over critical information (keep right at the highway fork but then tells me afterwards that I needed to be in the right lane to exit).
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I've used the adaptive routing on my phone before and found it kind of useless saving me little if any time
    But how do you know how much time was saved if you don't know how long your default route took in that moment

Waze is not-optional in Cali, there's at least a half dozen ways for me to get to/from work and choosing wrong means the difference between a 30 min drive and an hour's drive. On any trip that takes more than one highway, even if I know the straightest route, I will always have Waze on.

Track me, smack me. If it cuts 30 minutes of me being stuck in stop - n - go traffic.... count me in.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Flashaholic

It depends on the area. Waze learns the more people use it. It plugs in data from current users. For example, a few users took the route I'm about to take, it bases the info relayed to me on their travel. Speed, traffic, etc.

Since commercial GPS has been around developed countries for several years already (Magellan, TomTom, Garmin, etc.), a lot still use them which is why it took a while for Waze to be adopted. Since there are less users too, especially for those away from large metropolitan areas, Waze hasn't learned as much as some places.
    Also, Google in developed countries is quite complete and people would use Maps since it's already built in rather than download another app.

Google where I'm from can't even give a bus number or a train schedule, and most users are in the city just trying to look for a shorter route.

I started with Waze and Nokia Maps when they 1st came out. They didn't even have a map overlay. It was just showing a car over a blank area. I'm an early adopter.) Often they would only suggest 1 route because that's the only one the app has learned or in their database.

That article is only the first in a lengthy series of them covering the topic exhaustively in the new issue, I'd link you to the set but they don't have it on the site yet.
    The entire suite of articles on the autonomous car from the November issue.

Hm, well that's a new one; glad I stopped for gas tonight:

Johnny Bohmer's street-legal BADD GT; this Ford GT40 makes 2,700 emissions-compliant horsepower and has air conditioning/license plates/insurance, but here it loses boost at 292.9 MPH. Then the parachute rips. Then the rear rotors shatter. But this is how close we are to a 300 MPH street-legal car (it's tuned for a realistic ~310.)

The cockpit view of 284 mph in a street-legal production car on a [closed] public road; skip to ~4:00 and cackle evilly as the driver applies more throttle through each gear so the car accelerates harder from 175 mph:

This thread turns 8 years old later this week, and we just crossed half a million views, well played gents..

In other news: From the cars-I-forgot-about file, the 1991-92 Dodge Spirit R/T: A K-car with a 224hp Lotus-Chrysler turbo engine (1hp less than the Ford Mustang GT of the time,) 5-speed Getrag manual transmission (auto not available,) disc brakes all around with optional ABS, 0-60 in ~6 seconds, 14.5 sec quarter mile (on par with same-year Mustang/Camaro/Firebird,) top speed 141mph. 1,400 sold total.

Somebody posted audio of the new Corvette ZR1; it sounds exactly like the infamous Pantera at 2:28 - how they got a boosted front-engine car to sound like a rear-engined one is quite a feat of engineering..

Saw this Dodge Ram compact on the road today, clever little design:

More artful than ice skating (now put it back in the climate-controlled garage..)

Hm.. (Tokyo Auto Salon; the Prius is available in AWD in Japan..)

The Hellcat-motored 707 hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk vs the Tesla SUV; combustion, quaint..

Ford Motor Company's first-quarter financial report released today announces that they are discontinuing all sedans and small cars in their portfolio in North America, except for the Mustang and the upcoming Focus Active crossover. The current model cycle for the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus, and C-Max is the last, the company will not be investing in any further generations of these models.

Dodge is bringing back the Viper as a '20/'21 model.

Also: The upcoming Marvel movie gives us yet another creative use for a flatbed:

Ford Motor Company's first-quarter financial report released today announces that they are discontinuing all sedans and small cars in their portfolio in North America...
    Kewl, that’s exactly the core range in the European market, except the Mustang maybe...
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

Around town with Starhalo: You'd think a freshly unboxed copy of the new hot item would include badges (Tesla 3)

Nobody was up to parking next to this guy, so I volunteered since our cars are so similar. Both have four wheels. (Ferrari 458)

Flashaholic*

I was able to drive one of my clients Model 3 last week for about 6 miles that they just received a few weeks prior to that. It's quite the car & I strongly suggest people at least take one for a test drive if they are given the opportunity.

So many neat details & the car UI/controls are very intuitive. It really surprised me on that level.

Once the dual motor version releases it will be even more impressive on the performance front.
    Travis

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    I was able to drive one of my clients Model 3 last week for about 6 miles that they just received a few weeks prior to that. It's quite the car & I strongly suggest people at least take one for a test drive if they are given the opportunity.

So many neat details & the car UI/controls are very intuitive. It really surprised me on that level.
    So ... what were your specific impressions of what seems to be the Model 3's most controversial design choice - most controls on that massive stalk-mounted center touchscreen?
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Flashaholic*

If you own & use a smartphone it will be a very natural adaptation IMO. With my albeit brief time in the drivers seat basically the majority of the "settings" are essentially "one time" programming & then unless your preference changes you won't need to adjust it again.

Also the steering wheel has two very innovative control knob/dials. Think of a console joystick d-pad with a PC mouse wheel. They are placed so that you operate them with your thumbs & easily adjust stereo volume, or cruise control in 1 mph increments up or down(as low as 19mph btw), etc so control is again very intuitive & non-distracting.

The "gear shift" handle/lever is where the windshield wiper stalk would be & is a super simple up for reverse, & down for Drive control with a very nice tactile detents at the end of movement range to positively know that you have correctly completed the intended action.

One essential thing that most people perhaps don't yet realize myself included until I had the literal hands on opportunity to play with everything is how Tesla takes the established concept of "Driver seat/mirror" position memory to a whole new level. Again think of a Phone/desktop login. The car has the ability to save multiple profiles & either via your phone bluetooth or a credit card "key" when you approach & step into the car it identifies which profile gets into the drivers seat & auto configures the car to the pre-saved preferences so everything is already configured to your liking.
    Travis

Quote Originally Posted by FroggyTaco View Post
    If you own & use a smartphone it will be a very natural adaptation IMO. With my albeit brief time in the drivers seat basically the majority of the "settings" are essentially "one time" programming & then unless your preference changes you won't need to adjust it again.

Also the steering wheel has two very innovative control knob/dials. Think of a console joystick d-pad with a PC mouse wheel. They are placed so that you operate them with your thumbs & easily adjust Head unit volume, or cruise control in 1 mph increments up or down(as low as 19mph btw), etc so control is again very intuitive & non-distracting.
    On my vehicles, I often adjust the following during a drive:
    • Headlights
    • Windshield wipers
    • Cruise control on/of
    • Cruise control speed adjust
    • Cruise control cancel/resume
    • Head unit on/off
    • Head unit volume/mute
    • Head unit change source
    • Head unit browse songs
    • Head unit change audio track / tune radio
    • Bluetooth accept/terminate call
    • Climate control on/off
    • Climate control mode
    • Climate control fan speed
    • Climate control temperature

Most of these can be done from steering wheel controls or control stalks. But some require the touchscreen on the head unit.

While I find the head unit touch screen UI reasonably intuitive, it's a bit frustrating at times because it often doesn't register a touch or since I'm in a moving car and there's no boundary on a given UI control element it's more difficult to hit and requires more concentration than a physical switch.

I'm sure that some of the above functions are automated and some have migrated to the steering wheel controls, but how many require a visit to that touchscreen?
    Last edited by idleprocess; 05-13-2018 at 07:49 AM.

But 307 lb ft @ 1 RPM, and the view..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    On my vehicles, I often adjust the following during a drive:
    • Headlights
    • Windshield wipers
    • Cruise control on/of
    • Cruise control speed adjust
    • Cruise control cancel/resume
    • Head unit on/off
    • Head unit volume/mute
    • Head unit change source
    • Head unit browse songs
    • Head unit change audio track / tune radio
    • Bluetooth accept/terminate call
    • Climate control on/off
    • Climate control mode
    • Climate control fan speed
    • Climate control temperature

Most of these can be done from steering wheel controls or control stalks. But some require the touchscreen on the head unit.

While I find the head unit touch screen UI reasonably intuitive, it's a bit frustrating at times because it often doesn't register a touch or since I'm in a moving car and there's no boundary on a given UI control element it's more difficult to hit and requires more concentration than a physical switch.

I'm sure that some of the above functions are automated and some have migrated to the steering wheel controls, but how many require a visit to that touchscreen?
    Take a look at the steering wheel controls. The left side handles ALL of your audio control concerns. The Right side handles all of your cruise control concerns. It wasn't raining & I didn't notice any wiper control so I would presume it's auto controlled & again you have total control over it's operation but once you find your preference the car will scale its performance based upon speed & rain intensity so the whole point is less user input required.

I didn't mess with the climate control but I have become a huge fan of any vehicles "Auto" setting because it's literally the most efficient option 95% of the time & again you let the cars computers micromanage the details. The nice part about the large screen is the "buttons" on the touchscreen are 2-4x bigger than your thumb so it's easy to make a positive input choice.

I didn't use the car's phone bluetooth to answer or hang up a call so I can't comment on that aspect.

The attached owners manual shows how much extra thought this cars software has compared to other cars:

Travis

A very cherry MG coupe; drive at eye-level with the door handles on other cars..

Wasn't me this time; seeing them side-by-side it's strange that there's not a whole lot of difference in their basic silhouettes:

Do you have any project cars?

Starting to become a fairly common new story...

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2018/0...le-in-traffic/

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Starting to become a fairly common new story...

https://www.dailybulletin.com/2018/0...le-in-traffic/
    WOW! That is some serious flame. Imagine it happening while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on a multi lane highway....... Gas cars go BOOM!

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by heelsthrow View Post
    Do you have any project cars?
    This was my last project. Had it done by professionals. -

25 hours to remove this. -

Then replace it with this. -

Almost ready to be buttoned up, but one, not so obvious, missing part from the beginning still needs to be purchased and installed. Any keen eyed mechanics able to identify the missing part?

Also, where's the flashlight?

~ Chance

Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3272757677787980818283 LastLast