ArmyTek
Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161959 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars, Man

Default Re: Cars, Man

Suddenly I'd like to go on a family vacation.. (Ferrari 456 Venice Estate Speciale, 1 of 17)

Oh please tell me that is photoshopped!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Nope, it was assembled right on the line next to all the other 456's, commissioned by the Sultan of Brunei. It may not be a ravishing sports car, but for those of us who miss non-SUV non-"crossover" non-gas-guzzling non-high-center-of-gravity plain ol' station wagons, it's a nice sight..

How bout a Mazda 6 wagon. I'm afraid tho, that they're not going to release them in the US.

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    How bout a Mazda 6 wagon.
    With the V6, definitely; especially awesome since Honda and Toyota gave up on the idea of wagon versions of their sedans long ago..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Nope, it was assembled right on the line next to all the other 456's, commissioned by the Sultan of Brunei. It may not be a ravishing sports car, but for those of us who miss non-SUV non-"crossover" non-gas-guzzling non-high-center-of-gravity plain ol' station wagons, it's a nice sight...
    Well . . . Not the first time some Mad scientist decided to combine a pure sports car with a station wagon. Check out this 1954 concept car. Corvette front end, combined with a Nomad body.

"The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Check out this 1954 concept car. Corvette front end, combined with a Nomad body.
    That makes some sense, since the first-gen Corvette wasn't much of an actual sports car anyway (and had a truck engine..)

A smoother Rex: 2011 Subaru WRX STi, optional leather interior and moonroof now available..

I like that Subi.
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

+

Couple shots from R.A. this past weekend..

The Bloodhound is coming..

The British are ready to break the land speed record set only a few years ago in this new model developed by previous record holder Richard Noble and current record holder Andy Green, with backing from the British government. The Bloodhound SSC is powered by a Rolls Royce jet engine plus a rocket for a total of 47,500 lbs of thrust. They plan on not only matching the old Mach 1 speed record, but surpassing it by another 240mph, a target of 1000mph. That's five football fields per second. Or fast enough the entirety of the Black Rock dry lake bed's 19 mile strip will only provide a 42 second run.

Americans have responded by pointing out that the car needs a 12" lift with chrome wheels, and more cupholders.

Don't forget spinners!
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Does this make you angry?

It's a new Ford crossover, based on the Taurus/Flex platform. But it's not a new-name model; this is the 2011 Ford Explorer.

A lot of Ford faithful are up in arms, as this means the Explorer is now technically no longer an SUV, no longer a body-on-frame truck. The new unibody design is obviously not for offroading..

But personally, I'm not seeing the drawback here; I don't know of anyone who has an Explorer for actual offroading, and I can't say I've ever seen one traversing the High Desert here where I live, alongside the Jeeps and lifted trucks. I see them on the road all the time though, not doing anything outside of the usual duties of the other sedans and compacts. This is the same company that no longer offers a manual transmission for their F150 truck, because it wasn't popular, so it would make sense to make the daily driver Explorer a more solid and comfortable ride..

I predict GM SUV sales are going to go up significantly. Apparently Ford learned nothing from Coke's bone-headed blunder called "New Coke."

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Apparently Ford learned nothing from Coke's bone-headed blunder called "New Coke."
    But if nearly all Explorers never go offroad, what difference would it make? It would follow that you should make it as refined as possible to stand out against the other non-offroad SUVs; How many soccer moms know what a "unibody" is?

Ah, but it's not about how often the average buyer takes their Explorer or Suburban off-road. It's about the buyer knowing that he always has that option. It's about the fantasy of blazing a trail, or being able to off-road it like Mad Max if the world suddenly falls apart . . .

"Most of them will be stuck on crowded, paved, roads. While I'll be off-roading it to safety with me and my loved ones."

Not about any pragmatic reasons. It's about knowing you can. I can blow the doors off of most Honda Civics that are pimped out as racers. Few of the owners bother to upgrade the engine. They just pimp out the looks and sound system. That doesn't mean I go racing late into the night. But it's nice knowing I could easily show them up, if I chose to. Heck, the low-end torque from my ride often comes in far more useful than the horsepower.

I owned one just like this in my early 20's-best $3900 I ever spent.

When your 6'2" the backseat of a TA is the most uncomfortable place you can imagine.Even more uncomfortable for the young lady because of the drive shaft hump that divides the backseats(these cars are often referred to as 2+2 because of seating arrangement).

I once managed to get it up to 160km per hour in front of a police station.When I think how stupid and reckless I was back than(with girls and cars)it's a wonder I'm still alive.

One icy winter's night it was savagely attacked by a telephone pole.No car I have owned has meant so much to me-not counting the '64 Impala low-rider I drove from age 19-20.
    Is it just me or did summer's seem to last forever back than.
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

A lot of Ford faithful are up in arms, as this means the Explorer is now technically no longer an SUV, no longer a body-on-frame truck. The new unibody design is obviously not for offroading..
    I say they made that switch in 2002 when they took it off the Ranger frame. 20-30% better economy while driving the places people actually drive the things is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Good on Ford for realizing that the Explorer has to compete with the Chevy Equinox and not the Chevy Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREAS FERRARI View Post
    I owned one just like this in my early 20's-best $3900 I ever spent.
    Definitely one of the all-time great teenage guy cars, glad you got the most out of it. So would you be interested in buying the modern version?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
    Good on Ford for realizing that the Explorer has to compete with the Chevy Equinox and not the Chevy Blazer.
    And that's the point, that there isn't really a broad need for a Chevy Blazer anymore.. The majority of buyers don't want unrefined offroad SUVs, they just want large car-like vehicles. How man modern-day SUV buyers even take offroad ability into consideration?

StarHalo-the link you gave is to a portable air conditioner.I don't get it.
    My girlfriend said if I bought one more light she would leave me...........I'm sure gonna miss her.

StarHalo-the link you gave is to a portable air conditioner.I don't get it.
    lol, well I don't think you want to drive an air conditioner, my dumb cut n' paste function does though..

Here's the correct link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=182

I haven't been following this thread StarHalo but isn't that a 1969 1/2 Daytona Hemi Charger with a 426 Hemi engine and the soon to be banned from stock racing rear foil?

This is the only car I would trade for my long departed '77 TA.

Drooooooooooooling

I haven't been following this thread StarHalo but isn't that a 1969 1/2 Daytona Hemi Charger with a 426 Hemi engine and the soon to be banned from stock racing rear foil?
    Yup; there's very little difference dynamically between the Daytona and the stock Charger, and the main feature is the exhaust sound anyway; I'd only get the Daytona if you just had to have the body package. And you'd need a lot of TAs to trade for one of those..

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    Drooooooooooooling
    They top-speed tested the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport on the last episode of Top Gear (Season 15, Episode 5), it's worth seeing..

Just seen it, it's unthinkably awesome. There's one thing I find unique in this car, it's the sound. Not "empty" but full of bass, don't know how to explain it better but a ferrari sounds like crap compared to it (two different animals for sure, the comparison ends here...)

Hooked and I can't stop starin'..

(1400hp custom drag Camaro, those rear tires are 15" across..)

That's a beauty, but how does she take the corners?
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

Quote Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
    That's a beauty, but how does she take the corners?
    Probably like a go kart with no suspension. If it weren't for the ride height, it wouldn't be too bad, those wide low-profile tires are better suited for turns rather than straights.

This is the only car I would trade for my long departed '77 TA.
    Forgot to mention, if you start with a current Dodge Challenger, Heide Performance Products will turn it into a Daytona or Superbird starting at $16,395..

I want to believe those aren't hub caps/wheel covers, but they sure do look like them.