• Yes it's OK, not a big deal

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No, I'd expect better

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pobox1475

Enlightened
I recently received a JetBeam RRT-2. Originally ordered an OP reflector, but got a smooth. I know the SMO will highlight the Cree rings and show if the emitter is not centered. Am not looking for true perfection and am a little bothered because the Jet SMO beam shots I have seen are not off like mine. I know...I know that as a true thrower these things are unperceivable in the field. Would you be satisfied with this on a $100 + light?

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7530.jpg

IMG_7529.jpg

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Malkoff M60 that was off center about like yours. You can only see it on a wall.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a Jetbeam and for the money, no I definitely wouldn't be satisfied.

It's not bad. It'd be acceptable if it were a "cheap" $35 light. But we don't buy $100+ lights for them to come with obvious flaws. We generally buy the C-bill lights to be more than just a source of light, we buy them to have a "nice" light.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you see is the position of the LED die relative to the dome. It is easily seen by the smooth reflector, which basically mirrors the emitter's image to the wall.

Every single Cree XR-E will have some sort of mismatch between die and dome.

Yours is actually pretty good. I've seen the hot spot completely on one side of the dark center. Do not send it back unless you want something worse.

If you don't like the way it looks, go with OP reflector for sure.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'd notify the dealer that you got it from (if you haven't already) and then demand -- I mean, ask nicely -- that they send you an OP reflector.

If you ordered an OP and you got a SMO, then you should definitely be following up on that as the dealer made a mistake.

pobox1475

Enlightened
If you ordered an OP and you got a SMO, then you should definitely be following up on that as the dealer made a mistake.
I neglected to notate that part. OP is on it's way to me. I probably would have never known it is a little off if OP was installed. Thanks for the responses guys. As I initially stated "not looking for true perfection". Just wanted a few opinions. I actually may keep the SMO in place. Realized all my other lights -SF L2 are floody lights. This one having the largest head might as well get the most distance from it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Personally that would not bother me much.

Beam imperfections generally tend to wash out in the field. The only imperfection I absolutely can't stand is an off center aim. I had a couple lights like that and it drove me nuts.

Patriot

Flashaholic
EngerPaul is right.

You could probably have 5 of these lights shipped to you and find that only 1 or 2 were close and neither was perfect. I have yet to see a perfect RRT-1. Mine is close and acceptable not unlike yours. When you have such a smooth reflector everything is going to show. It's the price we pay in our desire for more and more throw but I consider them special application lights. This applies to all of the throw lights and it's rare to have one that's just right. Ultimately it's doesn't effect throw and so that aspect of performance isn't degraded. If you send it back for another you could easily get one that's worse.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could probably have 5 of these lights shipped to you and find that only 1 or 2 were close and neither was perfect.

Some people do this, and is the reason some seller consider a restocking fee... :rolleyes:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours is actually pretty good.

Amen! When I looked at the picture I thought it looked fine. I have lights that don't fare any better.

People People, you have to stop measuring the perfection of your light on a white wall at 10 feet or less. TAKE IT OUTSIDE.

Bill

Bass

Enlightened
My RRT-2 is exactly the same. Only shows up on a white wall though, which is the last place to shine the RRT-2 ;)

The emitter is dead centre within the reflector, so must be as EngrPaul says above about the LED within the dome. I wouldn't worry but I understand your concern; it's a lot of money for something that at first appears 'flawed'.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an RRT-0 with the OP reflector too and they better send me the right reflector... :rant:

If I ordered SMO and would get such a beam, I would keep the light. It would be too expensive, too risky and too long to send it back for a minor off-center while it would not be sure to get a better one back.

I would perhaps stop doing living-room wall hunting and go on a night walk! :poke:

pobox1475

Enlightened
I would perhaps stop doing living-room wall hunting and go on a night walk! :poke:
Show me one person that does not check out the beam pattern of a new light on a wall :wave:. We all do it. Whether or not it matters is a different story.