Koenigsegg leave Saab out to dry

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know many of you probably have not been following this but GM has been in talks with Koenigsegg for quite some time now to sell Saab to them. Despite all the odds against them the K-segg boys were doing it. They even managed to past the test of getting a loan approved by the European Investment Bank which is no small task to say the least. Then today I get the news that they pulled out at the last second when the only thing that needed finalizing was a 99% sure thing.

I feel like I have been kicked in the gut. Saab deserves better than this.

cloggy

Newly Enlightened
As the happy owner of a 9-3 for the past 4 years I despair at whats been happening to Saab. Lets hope for a management buy out and a return to
their old, trusted, quirky and inovative methods.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch the movie "Wall Street"........ Saab is gone. Globalization. Topic for the UG. It makes me so ANGRY but I have to respect the forum rules. Things will nevr be the same again.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch the movie "Wall Street"........ Saab is gone. Globalization. Topic for the UG. It makes me so ANGRY but I have to respect the forum rules. Things will nevr be the same again.
Saab is far from gone. GM would be out of their minds to close them down now. They have restructured and got out from under almost all their debts(much like the new GM has done). They have two new models completely done and ready to come on the market. There is way to much value to Saab from many perspectives.

What about Saab Aircraft? Surely they're not gone too?
Saab the aircraft company and Saab the automotive company were separated a long time ago and have no links now other than history.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if any of you Saabisti follow it, but for those interested, check out http://www.saabsunited.com/.

It's THE source for all news Saab related.

I was once the proud owner of a 9-5 sedan, modded much like an ROP. Looks the same, goes a hell of a lot harder.

Add the vowels to my screen name for that good old slogan...

Apparently what really broke the deal was BAIC (China) involvement.

BAIC were giving K-segg some capital to help smooth the deal. GM doesn't want China getting it's secrets and intellectual property.

It's more or less the same reason the Opel deal sank with the Russians.

Last edited by a moderator:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if any of you Saabisti follow it, but for those interested, check out www.saabsunited.com.

It's THE source for all news Saab related.

I was once the proud owner of a 9-5 sedan, modded much like an ROP. Looks the same, goes a hell of a lot harder.

Add the vowels to my screen name for that good old slogan...

Apparently what really broke the deal was BAIC (China) involvement.

BAIC were giving K-segg some capital to help smooth the deal. GM doesn't want China getting it's secrets and intellectual property.

Yeah I have been a regular at Steven's site since the beginning. No other Saab news source comes as close to having level headed and non-sensational reporting. He is the best in the biz.

Move your mind. Nice:thumbsup: It's obvious now that you mention it but I don't think I would have noticed if you had not said something. It is nice to see some fellow Saabers here. Glenn7 where are you?:poke:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong assumption or why is GM about to sell Hummer to the chinese Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Corp?

GM had sale possibilities for Opel that did not involve communist countrys. They also didn´t happen.

Eric

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I bought my A4 I thought about picking up a 9-3. Nice cars. I probably wouldn't have regretted it either.

With all the insecurity going on (despite the economic recovery) I'm not too shocked at what happened with the deal. I agree that Saab is far from dead, though.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saab is far from gone. GM would be out of their minds to close them down now. They have restructured and got out from under almost all their debts(much like the new GM has done). They have two new models completely done and ready to come on the market. There is way to much value to Saab from many perspectives.

Saab the aircraft company and Saab the automotive company were separated a long time ago and have no links now other than history.
I hope you are right. I wouldn't bet my life on it. :shakehead

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Saaby

Flashaholic
The fat lady has sung, but the curtain isn't down yet. It's all a joke, isn't it. Still, Jån-Ake Jonsson just might have 1 more ace up his sleeve.

Saaby

Flashaholic
They are your neighbors and friends, who purchased Nissans and Toyotas and Hyundais.

Yeah it's not really that simple, but that's not important right now.

What's important is this:

1 - SPYKER CARS RENEWS OFFER FOR SAAB THAT REMOVES LAST HURDLES

2 - Ask GM to sell Saab, rather than kill it.

Those of you who are not Saab enthusiasts -- I would ask you to take a look, with the rest of us, at what GM is doing. They are not acting responsibly, and though they have been saying they want to sell Saab, they seem to be engaged in a game of 'moving the goal posts' every time a ball is thrown. Are they afraid to license their technology out for a few years? If they're creating new innovations, that really shouldn't be a worry. Are they afraid that Saab could become a competitor to Cadillac in Europe? It certainly wouldn't surprise me -- but Cadillac just won't be viable in Europe anyway. Come on GM, let Saab have another chance..."May the best car win" and all that...