The M30WF - thoughts and thanks

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF,

This isn't a full blown review of the M30WF, but rather a few thoughts.

I received the drop-in from Gene Malkoff promptly; only one or two days to reach Canada. Speedy service!

I've been using it in a Solarforce "9P" (with extension tubes), and 3 AA batteries.

In my case, I had to wrap the drop-in with a bit of aluminum foil to make secure contact in the Solarforce head, but that was no problem.

The only issue I ran into was with the batteries themselves; my 9P setup was a bit too short, and the batteries got a bit smushed. Eventually, the spring in the tailcap gave out...but I had learned that it (and maybe more of the parts of the "Solarforce" light were fakes). Now to get some real parts!

Beyond that, the drop-in (which is what this thread is about) has been wonderful. Though I have sometimes wished for a flatter high output regulation from it (except, I use AAs, not 18650), I see and can appreciate the value of it not instantly dying on me. There have been occasions when I've drained the batteries to their last with it.

The tint is very nice. It is still white-ish to my eyes, but not the harsh cool white that many lights seem to have; last night, compared to someone's LED headlamp (not sure which make), the M30WF looked almost incandescent, whereas the headlamp seemed nearly blue. Most details are quite distinguishable with the M30WF.

As for my use, I've been out in the country for the last few months, and the drop-in has shone underneath sinks and trailers, into closets, dark living rooms, orchards, down driveways, through trees...

...and the majority of the time, it's been excellent. The only thing I found it not so great for was long, straight, rural roads with few objects along their sides. It's not a thrower (obviously), but for a light with so much flood, it goes quite a long way.

The first time I used it, I spent a quarter of an hour just shining it at large trees and marvelling at how I could illumintate them. It's quite bright on three fresh AAs, and it's very neat how I could also run it on one or two.

The beam pattern is great. There's a "hotspot", but I can hardly call it that, because at all but the closest distances (where it can be distinguished by a slight fading ring before the wall of flood) it's a pretty smooth transition. For almost all I've used this drop-in for, this type of beam is much preferred over a blinding hotspot. Eventually, I'll be getting a thrower, too, but for now I'm going to enjoy this great drop-in, and messing about with it in various Solarforce configurations.

I know I'm late to the party, enthusing about it, but hey. My sincere thanks to everyone here who kindly put up with my incessant questions, and helped me choose this setup as my first "real" flashlight.

Cheers

Latest posts