Brass or Stainless Steel?

George1

Newly Enlightened
What is the most durable material - brass or stainless steel. The light will be for pocket/keyring carry in a single mode AA light. I want something that will last a long time and not require much upkeep. I'm not too concerned about thermal efficiency as the light will not be used for long periods at a time. Any feedback will be appreciated.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass is not too good. Yes brass is harder than aluminum but it can't be anodized so it will probably wear faster than a good anodized aluminum. Plus it needs to be lacquered, once the lacquer wears off it will tarnish and turn ugly. Stainless is much harder and more durable and takes and keeps a polish well. Definitely go with stainless.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Stainless will last longer -- but could be heavier (is heavier than aluminum), which is not good for a pocket light. Either one should last long enough for the use....how long do your brass keys last? I'd go for brass just because I prefer the way it looks --- personal preference.

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass is heavier than stainless, 8.4 g/cm3 for brass 7.85 g/cm3 for stainless. Plus to get the same strength you'd have to use more brass making an even heavier light.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Brass is not too good. Yes brass is harder than aluminum but it can't be anodized so it will probably wear faster than a good anodized aluminum. Plus it needs to be lacquered, once the lacquer wears off it will tarnish and turn ugly. Stainless is much harder and more durable and takes and keeps a polish well. Definitely go with stainless.
Brass maintains a pretty good polish when pocket carried, the last thing I'd do to a brass light is to put lacquer on it, even kept in a draw brass dulls down but still isn't ugly. Having said all that my preference is for small ss lights, brass for smooth threads SS for maintenance free appearance.

Check out a Peak LED Solutions Pacific in either metal order it with a AA body.
Norm

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass maintains a pretty good polish when pocket carried, the last thing I'd do to a brass light is to put lacquer on it, even kept in a draw brass dulls down but still isn't ugly. Having said all that my preference is for small ss lights, brass for smooth threads SS for maintenance free appearance.

Check out a Peak LED Solutions Pacific in either metal order it with a AA body.
Norm

Exactly! But you just can't beat polished brass for its beauty. Even after a patina has developed, brass IMHO still looks better than any other metal especially if the light is attractively designed and finely machined as are the Peaks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The threads in my old brass Peak seem to stay cleaner than aluminum twisties. None of that typical oxidizing. I'd be more concerned about the weight of either. Even in aluminum the light's going to be a heavy-weight in the pocket or on a keychain, at least to me.

Geoff

Energie

Enlightened
I like brass and stainless steel too.

Some homemade lights
(used and not polished :)):
brass2.jpg

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice lights, Energie!

As for the OP's question, SS is preferable if your light is going in the pocket with keys, etc. I probably would not carry an SS light larger than AA. Anything bigger I prefer aluminum because of the weight.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying a Maratac SS light on my keychain
for the pass couple of months, not a single scratch so far :thumbsup:

gorn

Enlightened
I've had a Peak brass 3 LED light in my pocket for years. It still looks nice and works every time I twist the head. There is no need to put a protective coating on a brass light.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
I looked it up -- steel is less dense than brass, but titanium has them both beat -- about 1/2 the density, but still way heavier than aluminum.

I hear rumors that there are some nice titanium lights for sale... :whistle:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brass is better than SS for heatsinking, but not as good as aluminum.

This is actually a misconception. Though it is true that aluminum is pound for pound better than brass, brass has more mass and when comparing 2 flashlights with the same volume, the brass will actually be better.

Wow those are beautiful! Especially the middle 2. They look like something C-3PO would EDC.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If durability is what matters most to you, then go with stainless steel.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Exactly! But you just can't beat polished brass for its beauty. Even after a patina has developed, brass IMHO still looks better than any other metal especially if the light is attractively designed and finely machined as are the Peaks.

I think it can be beaten, gunmetal or bronze is beautiful. Take out the zinc and replace it with tin. Brass can't beat that.