• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Question about Badboy wiring diagram in Mclux

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
I just want to make sure I have this correct, referring to pics located here: Converter boards

Red wire gets soldered to capacitor @ C1
Black wire gets soldered into hole @ J6
Bare wire comes out the back from hole @ J6
Yellow wire comes out hole @ J5

Is this correct?
Is there anything critical about soldering at the capacitor? Location on the capacitor?

Also concerning the leads at the LED, I assume that it is critical that at the positive lead the joint be clean and not contact the head at all. Any recommendations for the ham fisted?

Also how critical is this at the negative lead?

Darell

Flashaholic
Looks like you got it to me. Just attach right where the arrows point, and you're good to go. Yes, it is critical to insulate the positive wire. The negative leads can touch anything EXCEPT the positive stuff. If your neg lead will be near the BB, keep it insulated. But it can be bare and touching the housing, no problem. The housing is all negative.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is correct. For the McLux the backside of the board will be facing the LED and the front (component side) will be towards the contact assembly.

I think there is a good picture in the McLux Assembly document.

I see my old link still doesn't work... Note to self. Fix it...

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne,
Could you post a picture with the board flat on the table, so you can see the wires? It is tilted in the instructions.
They say attach the red and black wire to the capacitor. Or should I just follow what ExMB just said?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, hold on, let me see if I can take some pics...

While I'm making a board and taking some pics. Some general tips...

Soldering the red wire to the board.

TIP: Solder the C1 location and add some new solder. This will help build a well of solder and attaching the wire will attach better. As is there is probably not enough solder and it's hard to solder cold. Pre-soldering adds some flux and makes it easier to re-flow when you add the wire. Don't add too much...

Pre-tin the wire. Flux the end of the wire. Add some solder to the tip of the soldering iron. Touch the molten solder to the wire end and it should "flash" or flux burn. If this happens, you will have soldered the end of the wire.

Now that both ends have solder, heat the C1 location and when it heats up and liquifies, insert the end of the wire into the molten solder. Remove the soldering iron and hold still until the solder joint sets up.

Does this help? If so, I can add it to the instructions, or create a FAQ.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, wow!

Thanks for the pics Wayne.
Now I know what I did wrong the first time I tried to solder up a BB750...

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent pics, Wayne!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Just what I was looking for. The soldiering tips are a big help too. Those of us who are electronically challenged appreciate any and all help. I really do want my DIY Mclux to work.

Thanks again,

Jody