Solarforce Skyline Review : Pics, comparisons, beamshots, runtime and more

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

Up for review is the Solarforce skyline, a heavy duty dedicated thrower.

Here are some of the specs from Solarforce:

• Use 7090 XR-E WC R2 Cree Led
  • 18650 3.7v – 3.5 hours, CR123A 3.0v x 2 – 1.5 hours
  • Length: 47mm Head diameter: 180mm length

• "infinite output system"
  • Weight: 278 g
  • Length: 47mm Head diameter: 180mm length
  • Includes 1x Solarforce protected 18650, 1x Solarforce Charger, and 1x LY-1 Solarforce Sling.

The light was supplied by Solarforce for review. it can also be purchased at sbflashlights:

here is the light:

IMG_0553_processed.JPG

The light comes in a blue gift box.

IMG_0555_processed.JPG

my sample included 2 extra orings, a nice heavy duty strap, and 2 Solarforce CR123A

IMG_0556_processed.JPG

the light has a very tough head with rather thick aluminum.

IMG_0557_processed.JPG

knurling is similar to tiablo's knurling used on their A10/ACE-G series

IMG_0558_processed.JPG

IMG_0559_processed.JPG

in order of assembly.

IMG_0560_processed.JPG

the reflector is extremely deep for throw.

IMG_0561_processed.JPG

IMG_0562_processed.JPG

IMG_0563_processed.JPG

the tiablo parts are actually compatible with the skyline parts.. the tube also looks extremely similar, but has finer knurling.

IMG_0566_processed.JPG

IMG_0569_processed.JPG

IMG_0571_processed.JPG

Comparisons:
IMG_0633_processed.JPG

White Wall Shots:
IMG_0770_processed.JPG

IMG_0772_processed.JPG

Comparison Beamshots:
the competition..
IMG_0783_processed.JPG

IMG_0786_processed.JPG

IMG_0787_processed.JPG

IMG_0788_processed.JPG

IMG_0789_processed.JPG

IMG_0790_processed.JPG

Outdoor Beamshots:

coming

Runtime:
SS-2009.11.23-16.43.51.png

runtime appears unregulated on 1x18650, but pretty long.

SS-2009.11.23-17.29.03.png

runtime is short on the solarforce 123s -- at the end it appears that the cells are recovering enough to allow the driver to run again -- then off, repeatedly,

Impressions
The Solarforce Skyline is built to be a "thrower", as in, the light is more concentrated in the center for spotting of objects in the distance. To achieve this, the Skyline uses an extremely deep reflector.
The Solarforce Skyline is an interesting light -- it's a dedicated thrower with an extremely deep reflector, but it didn't throw as much as I thought it would. The light outthrows the Tiablo A9, but when the Tiablo A9 is equipped with the aspheric lens, the A9 blows the Skyline out of the water. but, let's back up for a moment and look at build quality. This light feels extremely tough -- tougher than the A9, at the very least. the thick walled construction at the head left me with no doubt that the light would survive falls -- but, with its heft, I am unsure as to how large of a dent it would get when falling. The benefits of the thick aluminum walls offsets the drawbacks of the weight.
I noticed that the controlling circuitry (strobing and dimming) is all built into the tailcap -- If you missed my earlier statement: the battery tube is compatible with the Tiablo ACE/10-G series.. interestingly enough, when put on the tiablo ACE-G, the light can be dimmed(though only when using 1 18650 or 2x123A, because the tailcap does not support the voltage of 2 li-ions) and also strobed. note: a strobing MC-E LED can be quite distracting in a small room when it is completely dark. The Skyline uses the same type of square knurling with offers a very good grip and feel. (though the knurling is smaller)
On the topic of dimming -- the circuitry dims the LED through the use of PWM (pulse width modulation)-- thus, the "strobe" effect can be noticed when looking around with the light, as the PWM is of medium speed, and I wish it could be higher.
Now, as for the UI.. the light basically will always turn on in high, there is no memory mode. to dim, all you have to do is hold down the button when the light is off, and the light will ramp from high to low. for the strobe mode, double tap the tailcap when the light is off. I wish the UI were more like the nitecore UI, but as a dedicated thrower, high mode would probably be all you actually need.
So, in general, this is a decent heavy duty thrower, I just wish it would throw more for its size.

As of [11/25/09], the price of this light is roughly 100$

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review...

Do you think it will out throw the Tiablo A10 or the TLS Q5 bezel you saw at MrGmans?

Thanks,
bigC

TechnoBill

Newly Enlightened
Runtime:
SS-2009.11.23-16.43.51.png

runtime appears unregulated on 1x18650, but pretty long.

Nice review Sir Craigory!

Lacking a light meter I was unable to document {TechnoBill's Skyline Driving Impressions} the runtime of the Skyline, depending only on the highly unreliable psycho-neuro observations from casual use. Your graph substantiates my subjective observation that "it runs strong for the first couple of miles (dog walking) and from there it gets quite difficult to discern drop off." I should add I've never done a "run down" test as that would provide, statistically speaking now mind you, approximately... how you say... Jacques Squat :ohgeez: .

Also, I think it is significant to note that Solarforce is now providing accessories with their middle to upper end lights, something noticeably absent in the past. Good Job Solarforce!

P.S. bigchelis; Until Sir Craigory gets his outdoor beamshots posted, there are some outdoor shots, not great outdoor shots but assuredly outdoor shots in my Driving Impression linked above.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I've been curious about this light for a little while now.

Do you feel this is a better light than the Tiablo A10 even though it does not throw was far? Is the functionality, build quality, and carry ability any better?

Thanks for any info. Keep up the great work :twothumbs

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, I've been curious about this light for a little while now.

Do you feel this is a better light than the Tiablo A10 even though it does not throw was far? Is the functionality, build quality, and carry ability any better?

Thanks for any info. Keep up the great work :twothumbs
thank you all for your support!

I am starting to think that they may be made in the same factory.. battery tubes are very similar and they are lego-able. :thinking: you never know.
the skyline may be a bit easier to carry, It has a smaller head I believe?
functionality is about the same.. and build quality pretty much also the same. :thinking:

Ian2381

Enlightened
Hi, I have a Solarforce skyline 1 and I think It is a great thrower but it looks like throwing capability was not maximized, anybody has an idea in maximizing throw with 1x18650.

IvanC

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an ancient thread, but does anyone know of a similar long-throw flashlight to the old Solarforce Skyline? These were very cost-effective and had a nice tight beam for long-throw use.

Latest posts