Are there any Japanese flashlight manufacturers?

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
sweet. do you own one? :grin2:

I don't actually. I never felt tempted enough by the older models (SuperFire, SuperJupina, Sen, Stealth Pro, etc.) to buy one, and I haven't seen the newer models (T-REX, Patorio) yet in the shops (though I haven't been looking lately).

The T-REX series does look interesting. :)
I hope a fellow CPFer from Japan can chime in and share his/her experiences. lovecpf

roguesw

Enlightened
I see this line of flashlights being sold at all the electronics store here, but I guess they dont export them outside of Japan ? Maybe that's why you dont see them?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's Arcmania of course but he's a custom bulider/modder rather than a manufacturer. He makes some pretty high end stuff and seems to get hold of unheard of LED bins.

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone find more info on the Gentos T-Rex 230 lumen model... translated?

The original page says something like this:

Item no. TX-230LM
All operations can be done with a single switch!

Brightness: 230 lumen
Battery life:
- 5 hours of usable light (@100%)
- 50 hours of usable light (@10%)
- 8 hours of usable light (quick flash mode)
- 15 hours of usable light (SOS)
Light source: chip type white LED
Features: instant off switch/smooth dimmer control/quick flash/SOS/water resistant
Optical system: reflector type
Battery: CR123 lithium battery x 2 (included)
Body dimensions: approx. dia=32mm, length=128mm
Weight: approx. 118g
Accessories: neck strap, original pouch, batteries
JAN code: 4950654 028485

:wave:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
The SJ-H3A looks like a River Rock light sold in the USA at Target.

Thats what I was thinking so does the SENN SG-300 it runs on 2XAA and has an aspherical lens and throws out like a square beam that you can adjust from spot to flood. The single cell looks good and looks like its a CR123 with those lumens.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
I also remember I have seen a SANYO 2xCR123 xenon flashlight when I have been to Romania , 4-5 years ago. About 30$ but I am not sure if it was made in Japan, could be China ...

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
I used yahoo translator here, and 6500 yen converts to $75 at today's rate. Note they say Li-Ions can't be used at the bottom of the page. Looks like a hardy device though. As for where it's actually made...

T-Rex 500LM is a 3 'C' cell Cree MC-E that costs $138 before taxes/shipping. I was curious because it had 'Eneloop' on the picture, thought it was AA

Byydo

Newly Enlightened
I've been living in Japan for around 7 years now, and basically the domestic flashlight market is a joke. The lights from the domestic manufacturers such as National (Panasonic) and Toshiba are about 5 years behind the curve. The CREE LEDs have just started showing up as of around last year.

The Gentos lights are rebranded Chinese lights, made by the same OEMs as Nuwai and others. I do own a few of them, and the build quality isn't particularly great when compared to Fenix etc.

The only really interesting light I've seen lately is one of the "GENTOS ULTRAFIRE" lights that has 7 LEDs in the head and is quoted at 500 lumens. Of course, it runs off of 7 "D" batteries and costs around $240 US. About the same size and shape as a WWII Panzerfaust, but probably a lot heavier if you use NIMH D cells (which apparently you can't get here domestically in capacities over 5000mAh or so)

Among people who use high-powered flashlights, Fenix and Surefire lights are the standard, with military reenactors/airsofters leaning towards Surefire.

Gradually we are seeing better lights in the electronics stores, but they don't compete in terms of power or price/performance, and most of the desirable ones are imports anyway.

EDIT: Correction - after looking at the link above, I believe it's one of the Megafire 1000 lumen models I was thinking of - gigantic monster of a light compared to my TK-40. 6 D cells...
The direct rechargeable one looks kind of interesting:
http://www.saint-gentleman.co.jp/list/?id=3_58&pid=203
I might consider carrying one of these if I ever got a job as a professional monkey hunter. I could smear myself with bananas and then use this more-than-4-pound monstrosity as a cudgel during the subsequent monkey wave attack.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure MJP is in Japan, I don't know if I'd call him a "manufacturer", though.

Pro-light is an excellent dealer in Japan, again not a manufacturer.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi folks,

I've had the Gentos SG-309, aka SENN for a few months.

Its a cool little light.
Definitely no complaints for the price.
The variable beam focus and small size is what makes it so usable. Single mode and decent runtime, its close to idiot proof.

There's another maker called ELPA. They have a small, single CR123 6P light that looks like a good host for some custom drop-ins :)

tgwnn