does anyone know dinotte 200L AA L where to get the red leds (mini tail)

tweezak

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know what the 200L-AA-L rear red LEDs are and where they can be pick up from they are some type of surface mounted LED

the light is this one

http://store.dinottelighting.com/sh...nt2=245933175&ProductID=3&Target=products.asp

please help

jon

I'll bump this because I'm interested too. I recently upgraded my helmet light and moved my Dinotte 200L to the rear. I want to swap out the white LED for a red one. So, I'm looking for a red emitter that has the same form factor and pattern as the white LED that is in the 200L headlamp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

panicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, no info on the emitter(s) used. But it may not be a simple exchange, as the forward voltages of white and red emitters are typically different by about 1 V.
Have you asked Dinotte about that?

And :welcome:

tweezak

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, no info on the emitter(s) used. But it may not be a simple exchange, as the forward voltages of white and red emitters are typically different by about 1 V.
Have you asked Dinotte about that?

And :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome.

I was about to drop them a line and ask. I've always found them to be very responsive and easy to work with. I'll post up what I find out.

Even if it isn't a perfect fit and the beam pattern takes a hit, that's okay. After all...it's a tail light now so I'm not relying on it for illuminating my path.

FWIW...I'm now running an Ayup on my bicycle helmet and a Baja Designs Strykr on my handlebars. I'm punching out more light than most cars. :D

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I could be wrong but IIRC (foggy memory) I recall talks of the 140L Dinotte a while ago. I'm an owner of the 140L 4xAA model. IIRC it is a Luxeon K2 red-orange LED.

Hope this helps. I always get jaw drop amazement looks from drivers seeing the light reflect back like 5blocks off the reflective signs. :party: Most speeders always think I'm either a cop or ambulance when on strobe and most drive slowly around me or lane change about 2 bus lengths away. :grin2:

BrianMc

Enlightened
Most speeders always think I'm either a cop or ambulance when on strobe and most drive slowly around me or lane change about 2 bus lengths away. :grin2:

THAT's what I've been talkin' 'bout! Same response with these in the day? If so, the OP's got the right idea.

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
THAT's what I've been talkin' 'bout! Same response with these in the day? If so, the OP's got the right idea.

Well in the day time I use the strobe more being all very bright and such with the light people driving sometimes see you semi blended into the enviroment combined with enviromental haze sometimes.

At night you can save some power by using the Dinotte in slow flash mode backed up with a PB Superflash running. The slow flash will be good for long range detection for cars driving fast while the PB flashing is good for close range as well.

In the day time the strobing I've found is dwarfed by the bright light of the sun all around but it does stand out as the brightest red light which is very useful when drivers are driving fast on the roads and see you at a heads up earlier then later at a distance.

If you want the 140L cheap wait for the sales and buy it without a charger/batts and you should be able to get it for $99 (what I paid) or probably cheaper now given they have some newer products out (dual tail light and the epic triple red tail light which they sell but mention you have to make your own mount).

tweezak

Newly Enlightened
I could be wrong but IIRC (foggy memory) I recall talks of the 140L Dinotte a while ago. I'm an owner of the 140L 4xAA model. IIRC it is a Luxeon K2 red-orange LED.

Hope this helps. I always get jaw drop amazement looks from drivers seeing the light reflect back like 5blocks off the reflective signs. :party: Most speeders always think I'm either a cop or ambulance when on strobe and most drive slowly around me or lane change about 2 bus lengths away. :grin2:

Thanks!!

panicmechanic

Newly Enlightened
The good news is that the red K2 has a high maximum Voltage of 3.5V, so you could get away with an emitter swap.

tweezak

Newly Enlightened
Got 'er done

I just swapped the white emitter for the K2 orange-red. It fits perfectly and the pattern looks right (not that it really matters that much for a tail light). I haven't run it for an extended period but I think it will be fine.

Here's the LED I used.

http://www.luxeonstar.com/luxeon-k2-led-redorange-lambertian-100-lm-700ma-p-261.php

Note that this product is being discontinued at the end of February 2010 and the suggested replacement will not be as easy to use for the swap.

Thanks, y'all for the tips!!

Latest posts