Harbor freight HID

RRRKKK

Newly Enlightened
I recieved a HID spotlight from Harbor Freight for Christmas last year it is red and black in color made in China. Looks like the one in Cabelas Catalogue. It has never really been used, it seemed to lose the battery charge just sitting there, I have recharged it severals times. Now it will only flash the bulb 2 or 3 times within a second or so when turned on. The indicators light that supposedly shows the battery to be charged. Help what do I need to make this thing work?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I know which light it is that you have - the mostly red version of the well known "Sam's Club POB" HID. It sounds to me like it has a bad battery and you need to replace it, which luckily is easy to do on this light. It is possible that it has some other problem such as with the ballast though, so I am just guessing at what it most likely is.

If it was ever able to turn on and work properly at first, then that would be evidence that it is indeed a bad battery.

RRRKKK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks that is my suspision also, any idea where is best place to get battery?

BVH

Flashaholic
didn't many of the POB's have loose battery connections from the factory? IIRC, many on here had similar problems. Open it up and check/repair the connections and see if that works.

Patriot

Flashaholic
In trying to ID you particular HID your description sounds like the POB but I don't think Cabelas ever sold that light. Is your switch under the forward part of the handle or is it on the side of the light case itself?

If it is a POB, BVH brought up a good point about the connections. I had to fix the contact one of my POBs a long time ago. Since the light is only a year or two old, SLA batteries are pretty reliable if left on the shelf with an occasional charge. I'm always amazed at how long they last in storage. 5-6 years sometimes.

RRRKKK

Newly Enlightened
Yes the switch is under the handl near the front of the light, I haven't taken it apart, wife has me putting up outdoor lights. You guys are great, thanks!

RRRKKK

Newly Enlightened
Guy's you got a newbie here what is a "POB"? searched and found it means
"Power on Board"
Took light apart, all connections are tight fuse is ok 10A, battery has 12.38V, when I turn on switch voltage drops to 11.45. Charger output is 16.30 volts.
As before the light bulb flashes bright blue 4 or 5 times in the round center section of the bulb then goes out.
I am assuming the battery is ok right????
If so the only thing left is the ballast I am guessing, as the switch momentarly light the bulb it would appear ok .
Also found a light that looked like it that was made by Vector that is now Black & Decker?
Also read the thread on here about Harbor Freight HID this is the light, but it doesen't tell me how to trouble shoot it. or where I can get replacement parts. Can't locate manuel
Ron K

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Guy's you got a newbie here what is a "POB"? searched and found it means
"Power on Board"
Took light apart, all connections are tight fuse is ok 10A, battery has 12.38V, when I turn on switch voltage drops to 11.45. Charger output is 16.30 volts.
As before the light bulb flashes bright blue 4 or 5 times in the round center section of the bulb then goes out.
I am assuming the battery is ok right????
If so the only thing left is the ballast I am guessing, as the switch momentarly light the bulb it would appear ok .
Also found a light that looked like it that was made by Vector that is now Black & Decker?
Also read the thread on here about Harbor Freight HID this is the light, but it doesen't tell me how to trouble shoot it. or where I can get replacement parts. Can't locate manuel
Ron K

Hey Ron,

Power on Board is the model name of the HID light once produced by Vector. It's also known under the older name Ammondotech 3152. The only difference is that the POB used the less desirable, bluer 6500K bulb, instead of 4300K. The most recent name behind the POB distribution is Black and Decker as you stated, but as far as I can tell the boxes haven't been relabled with B&D's name. I don't know if it's still being produced or of B&D are simply selling off the old Vector stock.

Your battery and connections sound just fine. I doubt that replacement parts are available from B&D or Harbor Freight and will guess that it's much more likely that if under warranty they'd just replace the entire light. Fortunately these lights are all generic and can use any generic, 35W automotive HID. Most people here have purchased there from ebay. If you go the route of ordering a new ballast, you might want to consider changing to a 55W set-up in which case you'll want to order a 55W bulb and ballast. It will be substantially brighter but with a reduction in run-time.

Parker VH

Enlightened
RRRKKK,
I might have a ballast lying around if you need one. I took out the stock ballast from my POB and replaced it with a 55W and I think I kept the stock ballast.
Let me know what you decide and I'll check to see if I still have it.