Rayovac lanterns blinking locator LED

goods

Newly Enlightened
I have both of the lanterns pictured below. I bought them with the intent to load some fresh batteries in them and store them away for emergencies. The problem with that plan is that they have an always blinking locator LED. While the idea of a blinking locator might be good for a frequently used lantern, my idea of long term storage with the batteries inserted doesn't seem like a good plan.

My question is, if I open them up and simply remove the blinking locator LED, will this completely solve the long-term battery drain problem, or are there other components on the PCB that will drain the battery even with the locator LED removed?

591837.jpg

519iT1Dkq%2BL._SS500_.jpg

TPA

Enlightened
I just picked up the ROV 3D lantern last night. Quite impressed with it. Like everyone else has mentioned about it, the battery compartment notch leaves much to be desired. It would have been nice if they would have put a wedge-shaped guides that would self-align. Also a non-rotating base or something else would have been better. I've put some white glow-in-the-dark paint there to at least help me find the notch.

I don't think the blinking LED is the only parasitic load in the lantern. I haven't had time to tear mine apart yet, BUT the power button is a software switch, not a physical hardware one. Thus, I'd believe it also does contribute some to draining of the batteries. The actual blinking LED isn't particularly bright and only blinks every 5 seconds. I'd be willing to believe the logic system might be more of a load than the blinking LED.

Maybe someone with a meter can verify/deny this or at least measure out what the actual load is. It could very well be a non-issue.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
How about putting a piece of cardboard/tape between the battery and contact to keep the batts disconnected till use? Like companys do when they ship toys/items with batteries in them.

TPA

Enlightened
How about putting a piece of cardboard/tape between the battery and contact to keep the batts disconnected till use? Like companys do when they ship toys/items with batteries in them.

You've not opened the battery compartment on one of these have you? There's a rubber O-ring that seals the lid to the lamp. Additionally, due to how poorly-designed the battery compartment is, mainly the alignment marks on the lid, you'd never want to open/close this battery compartment if at all possible. It truly sucks.

Kremer

Enlightened
I think you have three options.

Open the lanterns and tear out the LED and the driver for it.
Open the lantern and put a disconnect switch in the side of it to break the battery path, like a master disconnect.
Put a piece of electrical tape over the back end of one of the batteries. <- what I suggest

I have two of the D size lanterns and while it is goofy, I wouldn't say the battery compartment is the worst design I've seen. Definitely very hard to reassemble blindfolded.

TPA

Enlightened
I have two of the D size lanterns and while it is goofy, I wouldn't say the battery compartment is the worst design I've seen. Definitely very hard to reassemble blindfolded.

That's exactly the problem! Lanterns are used to generate light. One would assume they would be used where light isn't available. Thus, the design of the battery compartment on this lantern is terrible. Batteries WILL die at the worst possible time. Sure, just about everyone on this forum most likely has 10+ more lights they can grab at that time, but it seems strange to me to design a lantern that requires another light source to change the batteries. Even the crappy old 2AA m@glights were capable of battery AND bulb changes in the dark, as I found out in a most unfortunate attic adventure one night. BUT the bulb change was entirely doable without light. Not sure I'd attempt that on this lantern.

filibuster

Enlightened
I reported some power measurements for the ROV 3D lantern in a different thread and could only get my meter to show .001 amps sporadically when the green LED would flash. I wiggled the LED until it broke off and couldn't measure any current fluctuations after removing the LED.

Not much of a parasitic load to worry about and not too hard to solve if you don't care for any.