GONCZ M2/M3

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOOD POINTS
I received "tactical versions"* of the M2/M3 lights earlier this week. (*Tailcap assembly is is set up for remote trigger, and no provision for spare bulb). The regular production models will have the tailcap with spare bulb, and a set of Duracell batteries.

The construction of the lights is solid. Both feature a 1/4 turn quick focus mechanism (the bezel will focus, not uncrew). Similar types of mechanisms normally have a big black hole, but Goncz seems to have limited the travel of his focusing mechanism so the black hole doesn't have a chance to rear its head too much. The reflector which is solid machined aluminum, has a very light orange peel stochastic surface much like the Pelican M6, so the beam quality is good, with an artifact here or there. The lights also have a glass lens.

The lights that I received are highly water resistant (waterproof). I dropped by a friends dive shop, and pressure tested the lights to 100 psi = 6+ atm = 180 feet. I would note that even though they are waterproof, I would not use the lights as a dive light becasue of the accessabilty of the seals in the quick focusing head

The tactical tailcap has but a 1/4" of knurling which made it difficult to grasp and turn on; the momentary button is slighty recessed and works just fine. Goncz indicated that the standard tailcaps (includes a spare bulb) have more knurling for the typical flashlight user needs.

BAD POINTS
The bulb... The beam quality is good, so is the overall output (LUMENS) BUT the color is very YELLOW. As a modder what-to-be, I replaced the stock bulb with one from a UK dive light, and viola, the M2's performance was GREATLY enhanced; brighter than a p60. More like the Pelican or p61.

Overall, I give the m2/m3 high marks... a very nice offering except for the yellowish color.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Can you post any pics of the flashlights and beams?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I see it, the m2/m3 (from the factory), both have the same problem... the wrong bulbs are being used in each.

I have been experimenting with different bi-pin bulbs, and have managed combinations which either improve the color temperature, or the beam pattern, but havent found the perfect combination yet. Actually, the first Uk bulb I tried was the best, subsequent bulbs from UK the filaments don't seem to be as centered.

I have been able to get patterns and focus ability like the Brinkman LX & Pelican M6, closer to the M6; not as round as SureFire but very smooth.

What bothers me, is: if I can make noticeable improvements
by simply changing readily available bulbs, why doesn't Goncz ?

m2/m3 line up
large.jpg

bulb replecemnt is simple bi-pin
large.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the photos.

I like to see photos of new flashlights next to flashlights I have or know.

Interesting that the Pelican PM6 doesn't look as big when you put it next to an Brinkmann LX...

Jeff,
Why is it that the Goncz GM2 is similar in length to other 2 cell models where as the GM3 is longer than the 9P?
Am I looking at the photo all wrong?

Thanks!

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
do you feel the the output ratings are accurate?

i don't know if they've been revised, but the last time i looked at our friends site, they seemed impossibly high...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the new photo.

I'm still wondering why the difference in length between the GM3 and 9P is greater than the difference in length between the GM2 and 6P.
Something doesn't add up...
Is that "9P" a 6P with A19 and non-LOTC?

Thanks

Al

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or are those flashlights pretty gaudy looking in terms of design and ornamentation? Two equal width bands of knurling on the head would look less busy than three. Also, do tactical users really want the brand name engraved on the head in huge pseudo-LCD typeface? Ugh.

Also, the knurling looks really coarse.

Wilkey

Size15's

Flashaholic
Coarse knurling isn't a bad thing I don't think.
I don't care for the styling of the GM2/GM3 but then I don't care for the styling of the LX, Scorpion, TACM3, PM6 or the new Streamlights... The ASP TacLite can look pretty cool sometimes though. I suppose the PM6 isn't too bad.

Style is important, but performance is far more important. A 'crude' style flashlight with raw power is okay I guess.

Al

Orcinus Orca

Newly Enlightened
When you get right down to it, aside from the ridiculous branding on the bezel, the styling is not really all that much more gaudy than the older SureFires. While the looks certainly aren't pleasing, IMHO, fuctionality comes first. So far, the only thing I've seen that the GM2/3 has going for it is water resistance--something I can just as easily achieve by shrink-wrapping one of my Maglights.

Beam shots and/or runtime comparisons would be much appreciated.

-Dale

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expsoure was to show pattern, not brightness ... new battereis were not used in all lights

left Goncz M2---middle Pelican m6--- right Brinkman LX--- bottom Surefire p60
large.jpg

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures are with a retro bulb, but I couldn't say which because I have dozen+ in a pile on my desk. The bulb that came with the M2 is very yellow but just as bright,and about the same beam pattern.

I will say this... the very first bulb I tried (was for a UK C4 dive light) was nearly perfect. Perfectly round, and no artifacts. I blew that bulb up by trying it in the M3. This showed me that the M2 has a very good reflector

When I went back to the store, there was only 3 bulbs left. One of the UK bulbs, the glass element was too big to fit the M2 reflector. The second, the filament was way off center and the length was shorter (was necessary to pull the bulb a little out of the socket) to focus. The third bulb was better than the second, but no where near the first. Then theere's RS bulbs, and the bulbs from the industrial supply.

What I am saying is that the beam pattern and brightness are OK (using other brands of bulbs)... personally I do not like YELLOW

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Thanks for the new photo.

I'm still wondering why the difference in length between the GM3 and 9P is greater than the difference in length between the GM2 and 6P.
Something doesn't add up...
Is that "9P" a 6P with A19 and non-LOTC?

Thanks

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a 6R to me.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, ok, ok thats a 6p with a19 extension. However, the 6p is 12mm shorter than the M2, and the 6pa19 aka 9p is 13mm shorter than the m3. Easy fix, turn on the GM3, or backout the 6pA19 tailcap.

Have you had your eyes checked lately