• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Mack Gane nee the Mokume Gane #3

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I had mentioned in a previous thread, one method of etching produced a very nice, and different, appearance than the usual etching from ferric chloride. So, on my next Mokume Gane light, I decided to use this non-traditional etching technique--which reveals the crystalline structure on the surface:

MG14500-Etched-6.jpg

You can clearly see what appear to be the various facets of the various metals. And when done deeply enough, one gets a decent texture as well:

MG14500-End.jpg

If you look closely, at the top of the tail end, you can see the raised edges of the various metals--the nickel silver stands tall, since it is the hardest of the three metals.

So, now on to the light itself:

MG14500-Vert-1.jpg

MG14500-Slant-2.jpg

MG14500-Head-1.jpg

Light engine, lens, etc., are not installed yet, but this is the front of the light, albeit not quite bored out to match the McR-19XR reflector yet.

Couple of close-ups:

MG14500-Head-2.jpg

MG14500-Head-3.jpg

Since the MG-3 is ideally suited for driving an LED as hard as possible, due to the great thermal transfer ability of the copper, it will have a Cree XP-G R4 LED, a GD1000 driver and a 14500 Litium Ion battery. It will be O-ring sealed and have a mineral glass lens as well.

Last edited:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mokume Gane #3

once again........you push the envelope!!!!!!
Beautiful Job Phred

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful can't wait to see it finished.

Will it be a twistie or clickie and is it for sale?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is a twisty.

As for whether it will be for sale, or not, I really haven't decided yet. There is the question of the long-term appearance of the light, for instance. As we all know, both copper and brass with tarnish over time. So those pristine facets will look like something else down the road. The question is, would it still be nice, or not? The amount of time I've invested in this light is quite high, as was the investment in material, not to mention the pieces that were ruined while trying to make the light. :mecry:

Consequently, the price will be high, and I'm not comfortable yet in asking for top dollar when I can't say what the light will look like later.

Perhaps there something worth doing now to help preserve the appearance, such as using some Simichrome Polish on it, but only wiping it off very gently so as not to abrade the surface--that helps prevent oxidation, as I've seen on some other lights that I've made. Or, another option would be to just put on a thin layer of Renaissance Wax for some protection.

I may just hold onto it for a couple of months to see what the changes are before deciding. But someone might twist my arm enough to convince me to let it go. ;)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

I'm not sure if I've ever quoted a post with a picture - but had to with this.

Fred, that's sick. :sick2: Seriously. :shakehead :ohgeez: :duh2:

Outstanding, amazing, and beautiful. I'm not impressed - I'm blown away.

:thumbsup: john

gollum

Enlightened

very nice Fred...
another unique heirloom treasure

renaissance wax will work fine ...
but mokume is just as nice with patina
or you can polish occasionally

I have my own mokume on my keychain and the constant handling has kept it totally free of oxidation

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
MackGane!! :crackup:

Man, the postguy is going to get mugged!! :whistle::devil:

Can't wait, Fred. :twothumbs:bow:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:eek:oo: That may well be the coolest looking light in existence... and ERIC ended up with it? :thinking: :banghead: Talk about bass-ackwards. :nana: :kiss:

Love the "discs" Fred. And a solid AMP?? :cool: The MackGane is going to be a bright lil' guy.

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
and ERIC ended up with it? :thinking: :banghead:

Blind dog... bone.... you know the drill. :tinfoil::nana:

I just pick up the stuff that falls off the truck on the way to Cheecago. :whistle:

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome as always! If more people actually saw these in person you would need to add a second shift! The only problem would be quality control! You are the master and nobody can do it like the man himself Fred! :wave: Many thanks again for mine! :party:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek:oo: That may well be the coolest looking light in existence... and ERIC ended up with it? :thinking: :banghead: Talk about bass-ackwards. :nana: :kiss:

What he said! EM? :shakehead :banghead: Just a teasin. :grin2:

Beautiful but..... Hmmm???:thinking: .... :naughty: MoKen gane :twothumbs Fred :popcorn:

Me :D

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
What he said! EM? :shakehead :banghead: Just a teasin. :grin2:

And there he is! How ya been, Ken? We heard rumors you know, cuban prison, international double-cross, Iraqi Freedom fighting.... :eek:oo:

Me, I'm just glad to see Paris Hilton let you out after your....err.... vacation!! Yeah, that's it!! :eek::thumbsup:

Welcome Back, Kotter,,, Kenster! :wave:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

Love the "discs" Fred. And a solid AMP?? :cool: The MackGane is going to be a bright lil' guy.

What he said!!!

aikiman44

Enlightened
Fantastic looking light.:hitit:

And welcome back Kenster!:wave:
It took the Mack Gane to bring you back?