Which dropins compete with the Malkoff M30WF?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize there's a 3-part thread comparing P60-size dropins. But it's a lot of material to wade through. So I'm hoping you'll forgive me for asking: Which drop-ins compete directly with the Malkoff Devices M30WF? That is, which are warm or neutral, very floody (with little or no hotspot), and able to run decently on 3.6V? I want to use one in a 3AA Dereelight Javelin body to run on 1.2V NiMH cells.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
in short, nothing competes, it sounds like you are describing the M30 perfectly, i am not aware of any other drop-ins that fit your desirez as well as malkoff, you may spend all night looking and still find one similar for only a few dollars less, then it becomes how much is your time worth, and how much do you trust another brand?

the only suggestion i have is to go to nailbender's thread on custom P60 pills, i know he does warm drop-ins, maybe he can fabricate something closer to what you want...

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one that's somewhat similar is this dereelight dropin. 1S Q4 5A/B w/OP for 2.8-4.2v lights. This is the single output, 5A tint, orange peel reflector model for a single lithium ion cell. And I'm pretty sure the beam profile won't be as floody as the malkoff F optic, it will be somewhere between the M60 and M60F as far as shape goes.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only way to make any other reflectorized LED module more comparable to the flood version malkoff is to put a diffuser in front of it. Some guys use scotch tape, some actually have diffuser materials, some make them by scratching up a sheet of clear plastic or sand blasting it for a uniform frosted appearance. You will lose light in the process with any frosted filtering material on a light that didn't have one.

You are better off with the Malkoff M30WF.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one that's somewhat similar is this dereelight dropin. 1S Q4 5A/B w/OP for 2.8-4.2v lights. This is the single output, 5A tint, orange peel reflector model for a single lithium ion cell. And I'm pretty sure the beam profile won't be as floody as the malkoff F optic, it will be somewhere between the M60 and M60F as far as shape goes.

I just checked it out at its home page. Dereelight provides no beam shot for this module, but farther down the page there's a beamshot for its 3-stage equivalent. That shot doesn't look very floody:

Q2-5A.jpg

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, the M30WF is unique as far as I know; I have one and like it alot. On the other hand, you may be happy buying an LDF/UCL lens from flashlight lens and using it with an existing neutral tint drop-in of any brand. The beam produced is a bit more of a directed flood than the M30WF is, but I think will meet with your approval. It removes a hotspot per se and replaces it with a hotter zone in the center that tapers to spill. If you don't like it, you'll only be down a few bucks. I like both setups.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about those lenses that even out the beam. But I actually welcome a broader beam--say, 15 or 20 degrees--so I can see all the obstacles as I walk through my backyard to the bus before dawn, and walk from the bus to my home after dark.

Recently returning to the forums, I picked up a Zebralight H501W. The 80-degree flood was impressive, but 80 lumens were spread too broad; leaving me with too few lux. I now carry two 2AA warm lights: a Fenix TK20 (with an Olilight M20 diffuser lens) and an EagleTac P20A2 with its diffuser cap. Their beams are just the right width: about as wide as a sidewalk at 2 paces. But I need more lumens and prefer to stick with AA cells for various reasons. Too bad: The good stuff (500 lumens and higher) really kicks in when you jump to largish lithium-ion cells.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just checked it out at its home page. Dereelight provides no beam shot for this module, but farther down the page there's a beamshot for its 3-stage equivalent. That shot doesn't look very floody: - snip -
I have the older version of that drop-in. It pushes 1 amp to the emitter instead of the 1.2 amps of the current version but is otherwise the same. The beamshot is pretty much spot on, though mine looks a hair smoother but it could be just my eyes. I've tried the Scotch tape trick on my light and it works nice, though the output is compromised. For the money, the M30WF is the way to go, IMHO.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, all. I've ordered an M30WF module direct from Malkoff Devices as well as a 2AA Javelin body +1AA extender from Dereelight's U.S. seller, Flashlightconnection. The seller's site states that they're out of the Javelin 2AA body/head/tail-only offering, so I ordered the 2AA body-tail-only, head only, and tail only, then added the 1AA extender. I still saved about $15 over buying a full Javelin whose throwy module I wouldn't use.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You've made a good choice. What I do is use the medium SF beam shaper with my M30, for a wide beam, but not too diffused. I do not have a M30W, but my beam color is on the warm side, not in the least neutral, or blue.

Bill

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Nailbender just contacted me about a month ago regarding a new optic system he is starting to deploy in his products. Ask him about it, I'm pretty sure he can add a 40 degree flood optic to any emitter in a D26 size drop in. He also said he has a diffuser "optic" and a 5 degree that can be added on, so one drop in can do anything. I haven't seen it advertised on his sales thread, but shoot him a PM, he'll tell you about it.
OC

Latest posts