Replacement bulb question

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
In lieu of finding a light bulb forum (is there even such a site?), I'll post here first since I'm a cpf member already.

So, I have a desk lamp with a bulb that's got 4 fluorescent tubes coming out of it. The bulb I have in it blew out a few months ago after no less than 12 years of faithful service.

I went to buy a bulb that looked like it at OSH (local hardware chain), but after installing it, I'm not impressed, the light is way too blue and harsh for my eyes to work under it comfortably, so I'm looking to see what's a good replacemnt, since there are tons of them online, but I dunno which brand to choose.

Thanks for any help!

Original bulb:
National (Panasonic) FML27EX-N, it's a daylight bulb, dunno the color temp.

Right now (not happy):
Feit Electric 27W 6500K bulb, way too blue and harsh

My brother's (dropped it quite a few years ago and broke, I think it was my fault playing around with it :D):
Toshiba FML27EX-N

edit - a quick pic to show you the difference, settings locked, daylight balance, PS resize, brightness and saturation up a tad

bulbsb.jpg

Last edited:

Salena

Newly Enlightened
Did you ever find a decent substitute? I just broke my Toshiba bulb last night (after nearly 20 years of service) and I'm completely gutted. I can't find another Toshiba and years ago I tried other brands but ended up with horrible crappy light (too dim, too bright, too yellow, too blue). I just spoke to a lighting company and they said the Natural bulbs were discontinued by Toshiba several years back. I'm writing to you in the desperate hope you know of a replacement. It's the only fluorescent bulb that doesn't give me migraines.

Appreciate any answer you can give.

In lieu of finding a light bulb forum (is there even such a site?), I'll post here first since I'm a cpf member already.

Original bulb:
National (Panasonic) FML27EX-N, it's a daylight bulb, dunno the color temp.

Right now (not happy):
Feit Electric 27W 6500K bulb, way too blue and harsh

My brother's (dropped it quite a few years ago and broke, I think it was my fault playing around with it :D):
Toshiba FML27EX-N

edit - a quick pic to show you the difference, settings locked, daylight balance, PS resize, brightness and saturation up a tad

bulbsb.jpg

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
options found on 1000bulbs:

Eiko 49315 - FML27/65 (6500K, 82CRI)
Eiko 49313 - FML27/27 (2700K, 82 CRI)

also search for "4 pin GX10q-4"

there is apparently a 4100K version available as well - maybe that would be more to your liking?

This does seem like a fairly uncommon bulb - had never seen one until this post, which prompted me to do a quick google

Edit: Amazon also has a Halco 109238, 5000K, 81 CRI

and a generic "full spectrum" bulb (you'd think that'd be high CRI, but no brand name or CRI is listed)

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
Re: Replacement for fluorescent, FML27EX-N GX10q-4

Seems to be a lot of bait-and switch going on out there with these, so buyer beware.
The -N suffix should basically point to near-5000K CCT lamps. If not, see line above.

Those National ones seem to be popular & cheap! ... at Amazon Japan.
Just 84CRI, 6000 hours though?
To some CPFers, all this might look like an excellent excuse to progress to 90+CRI LED...
sssh.gif

tnforever

Newly Enlightened
Did you ever find a decent substitute? I just broke my Toshiba bulb last night (after nearly 20 years of service) and I'm completely gutted. I can't find another Toshiba and years ago I tried other brands but ended up with horrible crappy light (too dim, too bright, too yellow, too blue). I just spoke to a lighting company and they said the Natural bulbs were discontinued by Toshiba several years back. I'm writing to you in the desperate hope you know of a replacement. It's the only fluorescent bulb that doesn't give me migraines.

Appreciate any answer you can give.

No doubt you joined this forum to ask your question, and unfortunately I haven't visited CPF for quite a while (how quickly time passes).

I wound up buying one while on a trip to Asia, iirc it was around $25, and it was a Panasonic branded FML27EX-N, which was listed as 5000K, and was a much better replacement than the Eikos or Lights of America bulbs you can find at national chains.

A search on google also turned up a website with the bulb listed at $55, which to me is steep enough to consider buying a new light. My old bulb lasted 10+ years with moderate to heavy use, and the new bulb is still running strong.

I hope you've found a satisfying replacement for your lamp since, sorry for the late response!