Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best keychain LED light

Default Best keychain LED light

What is the best micro/keychain LED light?
    I currently have a PrincetonTec on my keychain and it works fairly well. Anything out there in that size that is better?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Best keychain LED light

There are many similar threads to this one, and the solution(s) to your question has/have been widely discussed many times recently.

The ABSOLUTE best keychain light out there right now, IMHO, is the IlluminaTi. It's made of titanium, runs off of a AAA-sized cell, uses an XP-G R5 emitter, and puts out about 115 lumens (stated.) It's a bout 55 dollars off of Battery Junction, prior to CPF discounts.

The best bang for the buck? iTP A3 EOS 3-mode or the Maratac AAA. They're the exact same light, except the Maratac has more aggressive knurling, and the iTP has a beefier keyring attachment point. About 20 to 25 bucks anywhere.

Most suited to carrying on a keychain full of keys? iTP A3 EOS Stainless Steel Edition. 30-ish bucks anywhere.

"Best" is a VERY relative term. For me, the "best" possible keychain light is the Photon Freedom Micro. It is bright, very small, cheap, and has a fantastically simply but feature rich UI.

What would be best to you?
    What size?
    What output/s?
    Batteries?
    Beam pattern?
    Price?

I am looking for something very small, like my PrincetonTec, that will not be bulky in my pocket.

Flashaholic

Which model of PeincetonTec do you currently have?

Quote Originally Posted by Flic View Post
    Which model of PeincetonTec do you currently have?
    Pulsar. I like the size but I wish that it were brighter and had a latching feature.

IMO the best keychain light is either a Wee or a Drake.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    "Best" is a VERY relative term. For me, the "best" possible keychain light is the Photon Freedom Micro. It is bright, very small, cheap, and has a fantastically simply but feature rich UI.
    If you want small like your Princeton Tech, get the Photon Freedom Micro like Marduke pointed out. Single AAA lights are much bigger, much brighter and more $$ so if you're happy with the light you have now...the more levels and output of the Photon should do it for you.
    Peak Pacific AAA UP brass (EDC) E01 (keys), Peaks, Arcs, Fenix, Q5 Aspheric HA-III Mag etc.

Flashaholic*

Best, objectively? Or favorite, subjectively? Many, many well-reasoned opinions on these points in CPF land. But for me, it's unquestionably the Peak Eiger for its objective and subjective qualities.
    Peakaholic!

Photon Rex, I never leave home without it in my pocket!!!!
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

if you feel like going up to a AAA size, the Liteflux LF2XT and Fenix LOD are great, but significantly more expensive and a little bit bigger than the princeton tec pulsar.

i carry a LF2XT clipped to the inside of my front pocket and a LOD on my keychain. i also carry an old film canister that holds 4 extra AAAs in a pocket.

i'm going to check out one of those photon freedoms one of these days; nice options for a light that size!
    i like flashlights.

Flashaholic*

The UK version of the Energizer key chain light is also very good,truly good quality and very very bright,downside it is press only to light would be a real winner if it had a switch to stay on.

I am not keen on using my ITP as a key chain light so I use a lanyard.

For a keychain you cant go wrong with any of the photon micro lights. I've had a micro II on my keys since they came out.

I really like the Nitecore EZ CR2 in warm-white on my key-chain. I use it now for a few weeks and I really like it.

rayman
    My Lights (current favourite: Maglite 2D XM-L2 mod; current EDC: Olight i1 SS)

Flashaholic

I wear my keys on my belt so I just could not have a lot of weight on them (or the noise that would come with the bulk).

I've had a red Photon II on my keyring since 1999, finally changed the battery last year

Two truck keys, one house key and four work keys.

For me it's the LPK, made out of Titanium, uses watch battery and is very, very reliable as well as beautiful!!

+1 Photon Rex I also carry the Fenix LD01 in Stainless Steel

Enlightened

Energizer Hi-Tech LED Keychain Light - $8 - Best Buy - metal case - 3 mode clicky - yes a clicky switch - click it on and it stays on - wonderful!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dave/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dave/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]

Enlightened

a cheaper alternative would be these led light [link removed - DM51]

I have one of these on each key sets

These are pretty bright and decent. Not too sure how they compare with the energizer or the photons though.

Edit... not too sure why the link was removed so I'll just add the sku number for the dx site: sku.1100
    Last edited by toughCookie; 01-28-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: giving ref to buy the LED light

There is a version of the PT Pulsar with a slide switch, making it similar to a Photon II. For something more upscale, I really like the La Petite Killer Ti. You can find them in BST though they are not made any more. In my opinion AAA lights are larger than ideal for a keychain, though they are workable. I carried one on my keys for several years.

I'll add in my vote for Draco, Drake, Wee and Eiger 10180.

For me it has to be my Ti Drake, the ultimate small edc, it goes everywhere with me

Flashaholic

For me it is the Photon freedom.

The best light is the one you have with you when you truly need it.
    So for me and about 30 other people I know, this one's the best, as it's on our keychains every day:
    dx/sku.1253
    Ten pieces of this light are cheaper than 1 piece of the second least expensive light mentioned here.

If you want to go bigger... Maratac AAA or Quark Mini AA are two interesting choices.
    Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
    Why has my link been removed? - Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 01-27-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    This space intentionally left blank

Flashaholic

I carried a Photon Micro on my car key ring and an ARC AAA on my main key ring for years. I've never EDC'd any other lights.

What a revelation the ITP AAA upgrade has been; now I can carry what I'd consider to be a 'real' flashlight (high-power LED + reflector) on a key ring for the same weight/bulk of the other two combined. There's just so much more utility available now, with only the slightest (if any) size penalty. My ITP with lithium AAA weighs about the same as two door keys, but puts out sooooo much more light than my old ones.

Best LED for keychains.

Well all of my keychains feature Lighthound LED's. He sends them with most orders and they work fabulous. Not to mention my kid loves them for messing around. It is a good little light. I have no need to carry those handlights size lights on a keychain.

Zach
    New to being a Flashoholic but have always had a taste for the good stuff. I edc a Malkoff MD2 with M60W or Surefire C2 with m61. XM-18 along with Victorinox cybertool 29 and Leatherman crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_5280 View Post
    Energizer Hi-Tech LED Keychain Light - $8 - Best Buy - metal case - 3 mode clicky - yes a clicky switch - click it on and it stays on - wonderful!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dave/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dave/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.png[/IMG]

Where did you get that one????

Question Re: Best keychain LED light

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_5280 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by prof student View Post
    Where did you get that one????
    I was wondering that, too, just now.

I typed "Energizer Hi-Tech LED Keychain Light" into google and came up with a model number: Model: HTKC2BUCS

I'd love to hear more feedback from Dave_5280 or from anyone else who owns it

Here's how one retailer describes that Energizer keychain light:

This key chain features a bright Nichia LED light with high, low and flash modes and a durable, impact-resistant cast-metal body for reliable strength.

What's Included

* Energizer LED Key Chain Light
    * 2 CR2016 lithium coin cell batteries

Product Features

* Nichia LED light
    Delivers 14 lumens for nighttime visibility

* 3 light modes
    Include high, low and flash for versatile use

* Integrated flat key ring
    Keeps your keys close at hand

* Cast-metal body
    Offers durable, impact-resistant construction