Lummi Lab's

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have created a new blog (Lummi Lab's) which will be updated with development work.
Not all will come to fruition & is purely a way of documenting & sharing work in progress.
I also really wish I'd done Chemistry @ school :ohgeez:
My first entry is my working prototype of a Wee with XP-G light engine design.
Please check out Lummi Lab's here http://lummilab.blogspot.com/
Please Provide feedback & subscribe for updates :thanks:

Labs.jpg

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer the question you asked on your blog, the smaller module looks like a laser conversion for a Wee, which is actually a very intriguing idea.

Cool Idea, but not the answer.
I will provide the video later today.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two stage switch ?
Or better still, a potentiometer that as you tighten to turn on gives you infinite output levels.

Now that's a bloody good idea.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two stage switch ?.

Or to be specific….
The bit on the left fits into the bottom of the light engine. The 'button' on it is sprung and connected via a resistor to its outer case from which it is normally insulated. When you tighten the Wee, the battery touches the button of the insert causing current to flow through the resistor making a 'low'. When you tighten further, the button shorts against the outer case and gives you 'high'.

I know this because my Lego man told me when he was making it...

Last edited:

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Jay R your pretty much figured it out. The small component on the left enables twistable variable brightness. From off to infinitely variable to high. The VBC (Variable Brightness Component or Control) could be thought of in a similar way to a potentiometer, however it is a far simpilar & less mechanical than that.
All to be said at this stage is its thanks to Quantum Tunneling!
How Techy is that! Wee VBC with Quantum Physics.
Video here: http://vimeo.com/8077919

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks cool. You may be getting me as a new customer if you start selling that. Is that a Spy on the table below the screen?
Chris

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see no way this could be installed in a already existing light. There´s no room at all. The only available space in these is used by the rechargeable. Of course it might be possible to just pop it into a light resulting in much less useable threads. But I doubt it.

Eric

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
The light in the video doesn't appear to have any reflector, and there is no way to remove it from the existing Wees (it's part of the body)... Too bad, I would love to have this setup in my BB Ti Wee...

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VBC is not something I think I can offer as a drop in for the current Wee. As it is the overall length may need to be increased by a few mm's. Also I would like to begin using the XP-G which calls for a different parabolic curve on the reflector. As many are aware the Wee's reflector is all part of the front body.

This is very much work in progress & is subject to change or even not happen. However i do believe there is or will be interest in a VBC Wee & would love to be able to offer these as a production item. Time frame is unknown at this time? It depends mostly on how things go with the machine shop. I would like to think we could get something started in the early part of the new year. I hope this does not appear as a tease, I just wanted to start sharing some R&D again.

I took a photo of the Lummi WS or Lab after a tidy up:
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm474/Lummi_2008/BWWS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gollum

Enlightened
very cool Rob

great idea

I love the Wee and its small size
I also edc my raw and really like the dual output system

what I would love is this VBC in a 18650 light...

the 18650 is one of the biggest edc-able batteries
coupled with the perfect variable brightness UI
I believe that would be the perfect light

especially with your great sense of design and quality finish

sign me up :thumbsup: