• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

To QL3 or not to QL3?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is the question...

before i am jumped about doing a search, i just spent an hour reading through the entire "everything you always wanted to know...' thread. couldnt find a definite answer to my questions.

i am about to order 2 madmaxes (or perhaps BB400). i am specifically looking to attain 200+ lux at 1 meter for ~3 hours. the dropins will reside in either a minimag or brinkmann--with the nx05 optics.

i am looking more at the madmax because i can detune it a bit, allowing more runtime. however, i am still considering the BB400...darn choices!

the bigger question: is the QL3 "cold" in comparison to the regular luxeon? i tend to like a warmer "incan-ish" beam. i like a nice white beam, but a LITTLE bit of blue or green is ok.

any comments?

thanks,
Bob

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, if you order just the BB, you would get either K L M N or (maybe) P binned in flux of the lux. Also, you can get 2,3,4,or 5 binned in Color lux. you said a bit of green or blue is ok, but it is possible for you to get a 5 binned, which is purplish. If you doesn't really care about the lux color and brightness or you are a lucky guy, go with just BB. But if you really picky, want a brighter light, or just not so lucky, get the Q3 too.

just my nickel

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Get QL3 in MM. Mine runs 3+ hours at full brightness before dropping to half life. That is with 2000mAh NilMH's, or alkalines. Great lite and bright, and you could turn it down for longer runtime. Bill

obeck

Newly Enlightened
I would not say that the QL3 is cold compared to regular luxeons.

"Regular" luxeons tend to be either sick green or blue-purple. My BB400QL3 is the second whitest luxeon I have (tends toward blue) The corona of my MM+Q3 tends to the green. Both are whiter than my Arc LS1, but not as white as my Arc LSH-P

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the Q,
You wanted over 200 lux for 3+ hours so the Q rank will give you brighter light with less battery power. The MM can be "tuned" for the light and battery life that you require. I have two BB Q3L's and a BB500 (bin unknown) The Q3L's are as bright as the older BB500 and whiter. Worth the extra cabbage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok...i cannot wait any longer...

i just fried one of my luxeon mods doing something REALLY stupid, so im going to go ahead and order 2 of the BB400 Q3's. i think i may not really need the MM adjustability.

i have heard many state that they get 2-3 hours out of the BB400, so that should be good enough for my needs.

i know that most people run theirs on rechargeables (i may be getting some soon), but i will be running alkies.

i am under the impression that the BB runs fine on alkies?

MANY thanks to all of you!

Bob

Zeppert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
darn...he is out of the MM and BB with Q3....

im going to have to be patient...

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm waiting too for the BBQ3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif