Upcoming Fenix Headlamp: HL20

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe that the upcoming Fenix HL20 isn't getting more attention than a mention in the headlamp contender thread. With Fenix build quality and constant current regulation circuitry, this will likely be a winner if the price is in the <$50 range. It looks like it is designed to compete with ZebraLight, though the design is quite different.

Thanks to Huz and jirik_cz for the link to the HL20 on the Czech site.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here's 7k worth.

HL20_1.jpg

HL20_6.jpg

HL20_13.jpg

HL20_10.jpg

HL20_5.jpg

HL20_4.jpg

HL20_11.jpg

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
That does look pretty good, nice and simple. Could be fairly cost effective and it will hopefully be pretty reliable.

I might be more excited about the headband itself though; I'm going to need to buy one of those for my MC10!

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy it if the head can be attached to the body to turn it into a flashlight. But it does not look like it designed that way. I don't think it was designed to compete with Zebralight because it is way bigger than the H501 and does not look like it can be of much use without the headband.

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
And who will buy that ?? Browning Phantom 70 have less lumens, but is more compact, have diffuser, red led and almost for certain will be much cheaper than HL20 :cool:

browningphantom.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I am not likely to buy it because it was not designed to turn into a flashlight, the design is innovative and should inspire some DIY projects turning clicky flashlights into headlamps. The long separate head assembly should result in some decent throw.

Last edited:

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
I'd rather just buy the headband and clip an MC10 to it. Much more versatile.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry, that doesn't have a neutral-white xp-g.
That is what I need in a general purpose headlight.

It is snowing now, so I need that Rebel PC amber in any form. (headlight, or flashlight in headband)

Ace12

Enlightened
I would find it useful if it was floody, but it looks to be a pretty tight beam pattern.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I would find it useful if it was floody, but it looks to be a pretty tight beam pattern.

I believe that is why it comes with a diffuser, just like the MC10. It's a nice solution, imo. I clips on easily but securely and it gives you a pretty smooth flood, or with a quick flip you have nice throw again.

andrew123

Newly Enlightened
After Googling this headlamp I found it sells for about $45. That's pretty reasonable and a better price than the browning headlamp too.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 To Fenix! I approve the design. I like the concept a lot. And I totally agree this will inspire DIY'ers. It's a good step IHMO.
Szemhazai, that pic is dishonest. I bought that light for my partner, she thinks it's huge. the image you posted is the profile and hides the huge depth. That light is a big hunk of emitters sitting atop the battery tube.
The Fenix headlamp looks to be more compact, more streamlined and tighter to the head. I like the metal housing, and that they've minimized the distance it protrudes from the wearer.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Looks very bulky for a headlamp. Also isn't nearly floody enough for most of the activities I use a headlamp for. I could see it being nice for biking but not a whole lot else?

bhds

Enlightened
"output automatic memory function" :thumbsdow
"the rest parts are made of high quality plastic" :thumbsdow
"flashing mode: SOS(15 hrs)" :thumbsdow and :ohgeez:

I'll stick with my zebralights :nana:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks very bulky for a headlamp. Also isn't nearly floody enough for most of the activities I use a headlamp for. I could see it being nice for biking but not a whole lot else?

+1

To big for a single AA light I will pass but good to see Fenix in the single AA headlamp category.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that it might look bigger on the pictures. I would expect the size will be similar to H501 with a reflector sitting on the middle of the body :)

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
I'll stick with my zebralights :nana:

I've seen quite a few posts of ZL owners saying they use a flashlight for throw in parallel to the ZL because it is such a floody light. I am really hoping that the H51 has some throw to it, otherwise it really is a niche headlamp.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it's not the same size as the H501. It is way bigger. Pictures are almost always designed to make things smaller and nicer. The length of the lighting head is 64.3 mm (2.53 inches) long. That's longer than an AA battery. Try putting that in a pocket.