Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry guys for the blatant teaser but I'll be posting a lot more info as the next couple of days unfold.

NightReaper001picasa.jpg

NightReaper004picasa.jpg

NightReaper005picasa.jpg

NightReaper006picasa.jpg

NightReaper007picasa.jpg

NightReaper009picasa.jpg

NightReaper011picasa.jpg

Yes dudes, it's the Iatola of Rockn'rolla! ....and darkness hasn't even fallen yet.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: Polarion Night Reaper

You musta been waiting by the front door all day just to catch the UPS guy! A mighty fine piece of hardware if I do say so myself!

I don't see in the pics how you charge it? Through the DIN connector and if so, where's the cord/and/or charger.

"The strategies of LOW LIGHT engagements"??? Now Ken G, how in the heck does one accomplish that with this light???

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

I know what time the truck hits my hood so it wasn't hard.

That battery is removed and then charges from the port on the back of the battery pack, just like other Polarion models. The battery can't be charged through the DIN connection but perhaps someday. I already had the charging equipment from my other Polarions so didn't need any of that equipment.

As for the Ken Good's publication, if I can figure out how to mount this on a 1911 pistol, I'll employ his methods...:p But I love the pun "low light"...lol. Like that's possible...haha.

Illum

Flashaholic

You musta been waiting by the front door all day just to catch the UPS guy! A mighty fine piece of hardware if I do say so myself!

indeed, the UPS truck is quite well built in my opinion, I used to wait for the UPS truck too, but hardly ever thinking about a package.

I'm good friends with the driver:grin2:

BVH

Flashaholic

Paul, what is the DIN for if not for charging? Axillary power and/or charging when used as a crew served light?

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

Charge-on-Place
It is short-fall in this version of the Night Reaper. It was framed around the PF40 and the only way "I could get there from here", given the time, engineering and manufacturing resources available at the time of conception.

That being said, we have made believers now...The path is wide open for continued development/improvement.

Short-run: We can add an additional connector through the tail cap to add this capability for those customers that have to have it. In fact, we are doing for a foreign customer as we speak.

Longer-run: This and many other cool enhancements are in process.

Keep in mind, the leading system (was leading :sssh:) out there in this category does not even have an internal battery....

The basic Strategies for Low Light Engagements do not change even if the weapon systems and distances change. The tactics and specific techniques do, of course. But there are underlying principles that remain constant.

When I was still running around shooting people with Simunitions F/X, on several occasions I would use a pistol in one hand and a PH40 in the other during the drilling. I use offset flashlight techniques. After multiple engagements (read lambs to the slaughter), people would refuse to step up on the other end because of the incredible advantage we had.

I am talking about element on element. It was game over almost immediately. The total surface area and angles my element could dominate in comparison to the opposing force was ridiculously lopsided. Any individual who tried to deal with my light was hit in the pupils with 4,000 plus lumens. When I wanted the light out so I could re-position, I simply tucked the bezel into my chest. When I talked to those we engaged post the drill, all they could see for several minutes were blue dancing stars....

Fairly easy for my element teammates to move in and successfully engage, blind, hiding targets. I use the word "target" very specifically here, because they were not longer credible threats.

Any individuals who chose not to expose anything, were systematically dealt with. Hide blind or hide with vision, either way your are stuck.
Maneuver warfare wins the field. If you can't maneuver and you are dealing with folks that can, you will die more times than not.

"Win the light fight first and you will probably win the gunfight"

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

I am talking about element on element. It was game over almost immediately. The total surface area and angles my element could dominate in comparison to the opposing force was ridiculously lopsided. Any individual who tried to deal with my light was hit in the pupils with 4,000 plus lumens. When I wanted the light out so I could re-position, I simply tucked the bezel into my chest. When I talked to those we engaged post the drill, all they could see for several minutes were blue dancing stars....

During some testing, and playing, with the light inside the house (day adapted eyes, I originally made the mistake of examining the shape of the hotspot on the white wall. About 3 minutes later I was entering some notes about my observations in MS Word and I just had a big, dead, darkened blind spot at the center axis of my vision. I sort of had to look a degree or two off to the side to read properly. Since then I've been wearing two pairs of my darkest sunglasses for the lux tests I've been doing which helps a lot but I'm also making sure to shine the light a good 30 feet away otherwise the blind spots in the eyes still occurs. I doubt it's healthy to repeatedly subject your eyes to that anyhow especially after seeing how long after exposure the effect remained. It reminded me of one of those times that I've not used the best judgment and felt a bit convicted afterward, as if I went quail hunting without hearing protection on...haha. Mind you, we're only talking about the reflected beam on the wall and not exposure to light coming directly off the reflector.

Lux tests:

PH50.................886 peak 526 stabilized
Night Reaper......902 peak 609 stabilized

Double check my math folks but that 1.2% "peak" and 13-14% "stabilized" increase beyond the venerable PH50. 14% equates to 500-600 lumens of difference. Wow! Taking into consideration that previous lux tests with my PH50 showed it to indeed be very close, or right at 50W compared to the 40W Polarion and other 35W and 24/25W lights, I have to suspect that the Night Reaper is exceeding 50W. The original test that I did about and hour after unpacking the light showed a 9% stabilized increase but I quickly realized that I had been standing practically on top of the sensor which was throwing the results. I was more careful during subsequent tests.

Overall, this light is significantly brighter and has a tighter hot spot than my PH50. After staring into the reflector area of each of the two lights for several minutes it's a mystery to me how this was accomplished. My only guess is that the Night Reaper underwent a lot of tuning TLC during assembly. Most of you know that I have a nice power line tower about 335 yards from the end of my driveway. If a person was to stand behind me with both lights and shine them alternately at the tower while trying to fake me out, I could call out each time which light was which.

More to come later including the full story behind how this light arrived in my hands. :)

Last edited:

vee73

Newly Enlightened

Now I can say that I have a hard time keeping my pants. I look so forward to my own Night Reaper. Time passes slowly.:ironic:
Patriot, I am surprised that the Night Reaper is more effective than the PH50. Great!:kiss:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Now I can say that I have a hard time keeping my pants. I look so forward to my own Night Reaper. Time passes slowly.:ironic:
Patriot, I am surprised that the Night Reaper is more effective than the PH50. Great!:kiss:

Your lux testing methods are more sophisticated and consistent than my own so I'll be eager to see your results as well. Since you have a PH50 also, I hope your NR provides slightly better performance as well. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic

Interestingly, their weights are pretty close since my PH50 has the heavy duty tailcap on it. The Night Reaper feels noticeably heavier because of the lack of top handle.

PH50 with heavy duty tailcap 4.23lbs (1.9kg)
NightReaper012.jpg

Night Reaper 4.43lbs (2.0kg)
NightReaper013.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Opps, same photo for both..

Now fixed. That's better

You're too fast Bob! :thumbsup:

Thanks though because I feel like a buffoon when I do that and leave it overnight.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, that's some serious equipment!

Thought the Night Reaper would be much heavier, looks great.

On the output point, my two PH-50's were about 20% different in output from each other according to ceiling bounce test. One was significantly brighter than the PH-40 and one was pretty good bit brighter than the next. The brightest one was just 20% less output than the 75 watt barnburner. That's allot of light and I'm guessing it was dialed in more around 60 watts instead of 50 watts...

Paul, you ought to join your police dept's reserve unit and ride around with that thing hanging out the window :eek:

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know what that driver is thinking.....

"There's that guy that's been stalking me for the last 3 years.Is that a camera he's pointing at me?!?!?!Why did I wear these skimpy shorts today?I hope my picture doesn't end up on some internet site being viewed by a bunch of weirdo's."

Sorry Patriot-but I couldn't resist.

What a magnificent looking light.Can't wait to see some beamshots.

vee73

Newly Enlightened

On the output point, my two PH-50's were about 20% different in output from each other according to ceiling bounce test. One was significantly brighter than the PH-40 and one was pretty good bit brighter than the next. The brightest one was just 20% less output than the 75 watt barnburner. That's allot of light and I'm guessing it was dialed in more around 60 watts instead of 50 watts...

What is your estimate of what that power could be due to the differences? Ballast or burner?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*

Congratulations on your beautiful new HID, Patriot! It must be incredibly nice to have a light that size with so much throw and mind blowing output. I hope you enjoy using it, and it would be great to see a reflector shot.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Congratulations on your beautiful new HID, Patriot! It must be incredibly nice to have a light that size with so much throw and mind blowing output. I hope you enjoy using it, and it would be great to see a reflector shot.

Thanks Houston. The last couple of weeks have been hard getting over the flu myself and helping with my uncle who's terminally ill with cancer. I'm squeezing in bits here and there where I can. Also, I'm eager to tell the story of how this light wound up in my hands but I'll probably be teaming up with Vee73 to coordinate that.

Here is your pic man... The front of this light is very robust and protected compared to the P and X1 series. It's not that the others are weak it's just that this one was obviously build with more lens protection in mind. Its bezel protrudes and the threaded retainer is a heavy alloy ring, instead of plastic. The lens is recessed 13.5mm from the tip of the bezel.
NightReaper015.jpg

I hope you enjoy it even 1/100th as much as I'm enjoying this light so far.

Last edited: