Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Default Re: Polarion Night Reaper (CSWL)

Quote Originally Posted by light36 View Post
    My NR was delivered , hee ha !!.
    Congrats with you NR , I'm sure it will not disapppoint you! It's a thrower and a beast!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewcyho View Post
    Maybe I can use the Abyss to compare it ? The Night Reaper is more flood and the Abyss is more focus
    Just the opposite, although the Abyss "S" does unexpectedly well even with textured reflector.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    The regular PH50 was already pushing its thermal limits, that's why they stopped making it. The CSWL doesn't really have that issue because of the extra mass around the head. Also, it has some very sophisticated thermal management circuitry and I've actually seen the light step down 25% in output after 10-15 minutes of running. From what I can gather the electronics in the CSWL won't fit in the PH body nor would you want to try.

The size weights are so close that the CSWL isn't really handicapped as compared to the PH body. If and effective handle can be made to fit the CSWL, it will be just as usable as the PH. I'm working on a handle as well as Vee73 so hopefully we will come up with one good design between us, if not two. Mine will be aluminum, Vee73's will be polycarbonate.
    Paul,
    Did you ever make an aluminum handle for your Night Reaper?
    Bob
    Polarion PH50 & Night Reaper, AE Xenide 20w, POB 35W, SL Scorpion, SL-35X, POB 55W, Jet Beam Jet-1, DEFT HO & EDC LR, MULE 35/80W HID, Maxa Beam MBS-410.

We just did a demo for a European Military Customer. They have elected to go with our Night Reaper.

Awesome Ken and congrats! Gotta love a heat discolored M134! Is it a GE or a Garwood?

It's actually a Dillon Aero
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-14-2012 at 05:47 PM.

My new (to me) 600 Watt Short Arc sits atop an M-134 - or, well it used to anyway. Its' high flying Huey days are long over but I hope to breath new life into it soon. Ken, is that an M-134 but by the company you name?
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by Ken J. Good View Post
    It's actually a Dillion Aero
    Ah ok. They're just down the street from me. In fact, I was just there today at lunch time to pick something up...haha! Funny coincidence. I didn't know they were filling overseas contracts.

Flashaholic

It's actually a Dillion Aero
    Just to be completely accurate Ken and Patriot, it is actually a "Dillon Aero", not Dillion.

100th POST!!!
    I HAVE NOW OFFICIALLY ACHIEVED FLASHAHOLICLISMNESS!!!

It has only taken me four long years to finally accomplish it yet now I can't even see it because of the stupid "Illustrious Supporter" thing. I just new that I shouldn't have paid for a subscription!!!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    My new (to me) 600 Watt Short Arc sits atop an M-134 - or, well it used to anyway. Its' high flying Huey days are long over but I hope to breath new life into it soon. Ken, is that an M-134 but by the company you name?
    Yes BVH, it is a M134. I think that you may just find that it is the very latest model from Dillon Aero and it's called the M134D Gatling Gun (see here).

Also if you are at all interested I highly recommend that you check out their two videos of it here.

Don't show it to your new light though as it may just make it feel a bit homesick.

Though if I was a light I too would most probably want to straddle it, well at least until it got a bit too warm that is.

P.S. Where I am from every man and his dog has at least one. Only joking!
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 07-07-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by vee73 View Post

Finally got the handle. I think this is the best lamp ever.
    Now this is really easy to carry, because the weight is distributed just the right place.
    I'm speechless.

Edit: I still have to at some point coated aluminum.

Very nice job there vee73. Speaking of which, is somebody ever going to make a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one for the Abyss, for all of us non scuba types. One that isn't so sharp that it nearly cuts all of your fingers off would be kinda handy too, unlike the standard one! Surely one of the many highly talented custom fabricators that are here at CPF would find it a job that they could very easily handle!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Ament View Post
    Very nice job there vee73. Speaking of which, is somebody ever going to make a slightly more aesthetically pleasing one for the Abyss, for all of us non scuba types. One that isn't so sharp that it nearly cuts all of your fingers off would be kinda handy too, unlike the standard one! Surely one of the many highly talented custom fabricators that are here at CPF would find it a job that they could very easily handle!
    I was wondering if Patriot ever made a handle for his as he mentioned having an aluminum one made.
    Bob
    Polarion PH50 & Night Reaper, AE Xenide 20w, POB 35W, SL Scorpion, SL-35X, POB 55W, Jet Beam Jet-1, DEFT HO & EDC LR, MULE 35/80W HID, Maxa Beam MBS-410.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker VH View Post
    I was wondering if Patriot ever made a handle for his as he mentioned having an aluminum one made.
    No, because I passed along the light to someone who really needed it.

I took Ken's spelling as a type-o since I know that he knows who Dillon is. I've known Mike Dillon since I was a kid picking up reloading components from the back door of his original 800 square foot shop then riding them home on my bicycle. He used to stay late himself if my dad called in an order for me to pick up. Later on in life Dillon Precision sponsored my shooting and I also serviced his and his wife's Mercedes vehicles. Funny to look back and consider how successful he has become.

I own the Abyss, and though I do carry it mostly with the shoulder strap (always on dry land, btw), I'm usually hanging on to the handle just in case and also to direct the beam better. I've never noticed anything sharp about it, nor do I think it's uncomfortable. Just my humble opinion.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    I own the Abyss, and though I do carry it mostly with the shoulder strap (always on dry land, btw), I'm usually hanging on to the handle just in case and also to direct the beam better. I've never noticed anything sharp about it, nor do I think it's uncomfortable. Just my humble opinion.
    Hmmmm, that's just a little strange. On my Abyss where the groove is on the handle that runs the full length along each side, it is bordering on being razor sharp, especially on the front and rear corners. So sharp in fact I could cut paper on it and it would very easily slice through skin with absolutely no trouble at all, and which is something that I have unfortunately already done. I also know two other people with an Abyss and theirs are exactly the same too, and as a matter of fact it is so bad that they have both had to smooth out the edges with a file for fear of also cutting themselves too, and one day soon I will have to do the very same thing to mine. Bit disappointing really, especially for such a relatively expensive light!

P.S. Not to be argumentative or anything, but I never actually said that it was uncomfortable, that is of course as long as it is not slicing through skin.

Sorry, Phil, I took "could someone make it more aesthetically pleasing" to mean more comfortable.

I just rechecked mine and rubbed my hand and fingers over and over along the ridges you speak of. While mine cannot cut skin, I also ran my Amex bill up and down it. When I did it enough times, or caught it just right, it did put a tiny slice in the paper.

I do see what you mean by a fine edge, but yours and others must be a lot finer than mine as mine could not cut skin no matter how it's held. And I'm sure glad about that.

Hmmmm, that's just a little strange. On my Abyss where the groove is on the handle that runs the full length along each side, it is bordering on being razor sharp, especially on the front and rear corners. So sharp in fact I could cut paper on it and it would very easily slice through skin with absolutely no trouble at all, and which is something that I have unfortunately already done. I also know two other people with an Abyss and theirs are exactly the same too, and as a matter of fact it is so bad that they have both had to smooth out the edges with a file for fear of also cutting themselves too, and one day soon I will have to do the very same thing to mine. Bit disappointing really, especially for such a relatively expensive light!

P.S. Not to be argumentative or anything, but I never actually said that it was uncomfortable, that is of course as long as it is not slicing through skin.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
    Sorry, Phil, I took "could someone make it more aesthetically pleasing" to mean more comfortable.

I just rechecked mine and rubbed my hand and fingers over and over along the ridges you speak of. While mine cannot cut skin, I also ran my Amex bill up and down it. When I did it enough times, or caught it just right, it did put a tiny slice in the paper.

I do see what you mean by a fine edge, but yours and others must be a lot finer than mine as mine could not cut skin no matter how it's held. And I'm sure glad about that.
    Absolutely no problems whatsoever MDJAK, no apologies necessary! When I had said that I wouldn't mind one that was a little more aesthetically pleasing (like a PH40/50 one), it's just that when it's compared to the body I feel that the handle is more than just a little fugly, if you know what I mean. Whilst I do realise that it may be almost perfect for a scuba diver (well maybe not the slice and dice aspect of it), I am not one of these and so for this reason I would much rather have a handle that is easier on the eye, or more accurately, one that is just as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the light is.

P.S. I also just wanted you to know that I am not exaggerating in any way about the sharpness of it. So much so that whenever I go to pick it up it is always the very first thing that comes to mind, and I have to make a conscious effort to very positively and firmly grab the handle so as to ensure that it does not slide through my hand/fingers at all!
    Last edited by Phil Ament; 07-23-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added Post Scriptum.

All. Just so you know we have not been asleep at the switch.

You can get more details of the new direction here: http://nightreaper.com/pdfs/NR-Ver3.pdf

Want to keep everything on a SUPER POSITIVE note.
    I am never satisfied with the Status Quo. If and when I determine that current process is moving too slowly or directly agains the stated goal, then I make the changes necessary to reach that goal and move forward.

I am standing up full US Production of the Night Reaper CSWL which is my design and patents pending. The new company will be Night Reaper Systems LLC and we will be teaming with some significant companies to create excellent synergy.

US-Based manufacturing gives us complete control of design, manufacturing and distribution process Front to Back, Inside and Out. The result: A significantly improved System. We own the process and there will be no more "Mother may I's"

With respect to hardware, instead of extruded body components, each part is CNC machined. The fit and finish is like nothing I have handled in the past, and I have some experience with illumination tools.

The heart of the system is a Digitally Regulated AC 50W (at full power) Ballast as opposed to the previous DC ballast. Our electrical engineer has told me this greatly increases lamp life. This Night Reaper can accept external power from 10-30V without the need for any inline voltage reduction hardware. In other words, direct hookup to many military vehicles with 24V NATO outlets. It is programmable for power, switching, and thermal threshold settings prior to embedding into the Ballast housing. This gives end-users some useful options, including the ability to strobe. If a searchlight comes back to us with problems, we can download it's digital runtime history for analysis. It has been designed to create a low EMI signature which is important in today's battlefield conditions.

New battery will feature 20% more capacity and a more ruggedized case. It is fully backwards compatible with existing Polarion searchlights.

Ver 3.1 is already in the works and will feature some MASTER ON/OFF & Toggle ON/OFF switch changes which will make the searchlight waterproof as opposed it's current water-resistant rating.

We have had some "issues' lately with unscrupulous parties trying to hijack our webstore, misuse our name, folks stating to customers that they are representing our company (Polarion-USA) and/or we are no longer in business. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have stated it a thousand times: "It's is much easier to steal than innovate." If you ever have any questions on that front, just drop us a line and we can discuss the facts.

Can't wait to put a couple of these in some CPF'rs hands. As soon as you "fondle" it and fire it off you will appreciate what is under the hood!

Standby for some cool things coming out of Night Reaper Systems!

Great to see improvements on an already great product!
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

I had been made to understand that the reason for my Polarion's instant-strike/restrike capability without the minute-long warmup required by other HIDs was due to the specially selected lamp assembly and electronics.

With the change to off-the-shelf lamp assemblies, does the new Night Reaper still have this capability? I understand it might not be as critical for a mounted gun application.
    Last edited by jellydonut; 09-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.

The Night Reaper is a Instant Strike/Re-Strike HID Searchlight.

I think it is exceptionally critical that you have this capability for a light to be used in a combat application. You need to locate, identify and act accordingly with all possible haste! That last thing an operator would want is latency.

Regardless of what you may have been told, the Lamp Assembly is not proprietary in any of the Polarion searchlights, other that it has had it's protective shield removed, the plug connector cut to facilitate a 3-wire solder as opposed to a connector to fit into the space allotted. We re-engineered the existing ballast housing and body components so that the end-user does not have to obtain anything but an off-the-shelf Osram DS1.

With respect to the electronics. Yes, one needs to have a ballast that is capable of instantly striking/re-striking, which is a matter of understanding what is needed to accomplish this tasking.
    Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-15-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Ken,
    That is beautiful!! I love the OD Green option. Just when you think it can't get any better. Very nice work.
    Bob

Bob,

Thank you. It is quite satisfying to take it from concept to reality. We looked at EVERY part and questioned everything. Made quite a few changes to "tighten" everything up and make the fit and function what I have always wanted. Last thing to do on this model is replace the Toggle Switches with a different set of switches. We had to stay with the Toggles on this run because we had already won a contract and we could not drift to far from what was accepted.

We also have some digital safeguards built in that were not possible with the original ballast. Now we can inject code as required, to meet customer needs or address unforeseen applications.

For instance, we had a customer connect 24V of power to the 5-Pin Connector and then connect a switch separately. The customer then Opened the switch (kept it open) and started rapidly cycling full power. The ballast could not handle that. It was designed to be toggled with the switch not power. So the searchlight was switching to the internal battery and then to external power when it was reapplied.

Digital Fix: Code the Ballast so that the external power is interrupted with the power ON, immediately go to the internal battery and stay there for X amount of time. Do not go back to the external power until it is stabilized (not rapidly cycling ON/OFF). We shut off that unforeseen situation through the USB port.

This could not have happened with our cabling, but the customer is scheduled to be using Night Reaper's on their tanks so their were developing their own power/switching cables and they are boss!

I have some really awesome images of the new Night Reaper in action on some weapons platforms. As soon as we get permission to share them, we will decimate.

In the meantime, static will have to do....

Congratulations, Ken - the new Night Reaper is SO impressive with it's great new features.

Can you tell us if the digitally regulated AC ballast and increased capacity battery are exclusive to the Night Reaper, or will they also find their way into the other products in the Polarion line?

Where can you buy this new NR and what is list on it..?

jfL: Exclusive to the Night Reaper manufactured under Night Reaper Systems LLC.
    Bulbmogul: If you would like pricing information, please contact me directly at info@nightreaper.com

Flashaholic*

jfL: Exclusive to the Night Reaper manufactured under Night Reaper Systems LLC.
    I suppose the next logical question would be if Night Reaper Systems LLC are looking to branch out and make their own handhelds as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I suppose the next logical question would be if Night Reaper Systems LLC are looking to branch out and make their own handhelds as well.
    Maybe they can make a Night Reaper Jr., compact in size for more mainstream usage with a 45watt AC ballast or a 45 / 30 watt with smooth reflector...

Night Reaper Ver 3.0 with MK2 Mount / Dual Throw Lever Base
    Very Small Footprint for 5,200 Lumen Unit.

Last edited by Ken J. Good; 09-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.