Battery Junction - Olight
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

You probably would get more out of two 28650s in series and a buck circuit USB charger than a 1x18650 and boost circuit. Some of the ebay 4x18650 setups are 2x2 some are 4x1.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    You probably would get more out of two 28650s in series and a buck circuit USB charger than a 1x18650 and boost circuit. Some of the ebay 4x18650 setups are 2x2 some are 4x1.
    I'd agree with that! But then again the 1 x 18650 unit is pretty compact and can fully charge a dead phone in a reasonable time from 1 battery, so it would often be a case of 'good enough' is good enough. A better set-up may just not be needed for the majority of us.

Boost circuits can be fairly efficient:
    Quote Originally Posted by malow View Post
    just measured:

Vin: 4.0v = 83% efficiency
    Vin: 1.2v = 48% efficiency
    Well, efficient enough if they don't have to boost by too huge an amount. From a single NiMH cell they aren't very efficient, but from a Li-ion cell they are up near 80%. This isn't bad for a cheap boost circuit.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I'd agree with that! But then again the 1 x 18650 unit is pretty compact and can fully charge a dead phone in a reasonable time from 1 battery, so it would often be a case of 'good enough' is good enough. A better set-up may just not be needed for the majority of us.

Boost circuits can be fairly efficient:

Well, efficient enough if they don't have to boost by too huge an amount. From a single NiMH cell they aren't very efficient, but from a Li-ion cell they are up near 80%. This isn't bad for a cheap boost circuit.
    what is the efficiency when it drops to 3.7v? If you already carry 2 18650s I would look for something that you could just put both of them in.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

what is the efficiency when it drops to 3.7v? If you already carry 2 18650s I would look for something that you could just put both of them in.
    I would guess that it would still be above 75%, for my purposes that is definitely good enough. I don't think that boost circuits are too bad for efficiency. If I have 2 18650s I may prefer to drain only one to charge my phone so that I still have a spare for one of my lights.

Everyone needs to evaluate their own needs, to some the maximum amount of charging from the minimum weight/bulk of carrying is vitally important, to others it wouldn't matter if they only got 50% efficiency as long as they could take one 18650 and fully charge a dead phone that may be all they need. For most of my camping trips I would only need a couple of phone recharges and I can easily take a couple more 18650 cells without really caring about the weight (I'm not hiking in so weight isn't a big issue).

Having said all that - does anyone have a link to a good 2s2p 18650 cell phone charger - I might consider adding one of those to my collection of cell phone chargers.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Flashaholic

Here you go:::::

http://cgi.ebay.com/5V-Mobile-Power-...item3cb6f30861

2S2P configuration.

Claims 95% efficiency

I have one of these also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot98 View Post

2S2P configuration.

Claims 95% efficiency

I wonder if you only put two cells in it if the charge rate would be too high or not?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lightfoot98 View Post

2S2P configuration.

Claims 95% efficiency

Obviously you cannot use this with 1 cell or with 3 cells, but would it work fine with 2 cells or 4 cells? The other one I got that is 4p would work fine with 1, 2, 3 or 4 cells even if they aren't very well matched - obviously this 2s2p unit would be only good for fairly well matched cells, you would never want to put mismatched cells in series.

I might get 4 new cells for this unit and therefore create a ~10Ah unit with ~95% efficiency which should be good for ~7 dead to full charges (at least 6 if claimed efficiency of charger and claimed capacity of cells are anywhere near accurate) of my cellphone.

I would be hesitant to match parallel cells up that had considerably different voltages as this could cause the higher voltage cells to try and charge the lower cells up immediately to equalize the voltages. Once you do have them matched in voltage then that issue is not a problem any more.

Flashaholic*

I would be hesitant to match parallel cells up that had considerably different voltages as this could cause the higher voltage cells to try and charge the lower cells up immediately to equalize the voltages. Once you do have them matched in voltage then that issue is not a problem any more.
    Yeah - they don't have to be matched, but you don't want to put a dead cell (3.3V) and a full cell (4.20) together. As long as the voltage is reasonably close it wouldn't matter if you put a 2900mAh cell and a 2200mAh cell together in parallel. In series is another matter altogether though.

Yeah - they don't have to be matched, but you don't want to put a dead cell (3.3V) and a full cell (4.20) together. As long as the voltage is reasonably close it wouldn't matter if you put a 2900mAh cell and a 2200mAh cell together in parallel. In series is another matter altogether though.
    I figure within 0.3v may be ok. I wonder what sort of protection is in these to keep from overdischarging etc..

I figure within 0.3v may be ok. I wonder what sort of protection is in these to keep from overdischarging etc..
    You can always check my anatomy of a proteced battery
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    You can always check my anatomy of a proteced battery
    I meant the usb charger not the individual batteries.

I meant the usb charger not the individual batteries.
    You will have to check the datasheet for the used chip. They usual has a good protection, because they are designed for consumer equipment with a buildin LiIon battery.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

yeah - the single cell ones are so compact Im more likely to keep
    it my backpack/car etc. I kinda like the built in light too
    woulda been GREAT on the airplane home from Moscow this weekend
    as I was using the kindle app on my iPhone to read the new GRRM.
    the flight was delayed on the runway for 2 hrs... Delta... UGH
    Ill post a mini review when I get it.

Just recieved this one today. I have a cpl of 18650's in it, i will try and charge my htc desire hd with it later...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3059wt_932

It charged my phone just fine. Just testing out recharging them inside the unit, its a bit slow, i was getting 300ma per battery with two in there or 600ma with one. (using a 1A usb input).

I plan to charge them with my hobby charger anyway, just wanted to see its charging capabilities.

I left batteries in the unit for few days with it switched off just to check there wasnt any drain while not using it. Doesnt appear to be, they went in and came out at 3.95v.

A bit home-made looking but functioning perfectly so far.

Enlightened

A few years ago I needed a portable power source for some of my equipment. I wanted it to be fast and cheap.

I always have a lot of charged 18650's around the house so that was an easy choice.

I made a battery holder using 3/4" PVC pipe.
    Originally I was going to glue all of the fittings, but just 'force fit' was good enough to hold it all together.
    That also allowed me to use 3 OR 4 18650's with a quick change-out of the length of 3/4" pipe.

I took the spring-loaded terminals out of an old fuse holder and drilled the end caps to pass the wires through.

The white 'molex' connectors I've been using for lots of years for all of my power connections. So, I just made up a 12V power socket.

Now when I want to charge my cell phone, I just plug in the 12V car adapter.

The first photo shows the finished 3 x 18650 charger using a 7" pvc pipe.

The other shows the components.
    When I want to use 4 X 18650 batteries I use the 9.6" pvc pipe.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...cropped_sm.jpg

Last edited by Norm; 12-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.

^^^^
    wow thats really simple and awesome!
    so many 12v components out there...

still waiting on my single 18650 charger.
    will post back after Ive used it.

Flashaholic*

It's hard to think of any negatives from being in possession of a pipe with electrical wire coming out of each end attached to a cellphone . . .

It's hard to think of any negatives from being in possession of a pipe with electrical wire coming out of each end attached to a cellphone . . .
    I had a similar thought. I'd like to see someone try and get that through airport security

Enlightened

I bought a few 12V car inverters also. They have their own USB charging ports.
    I can plug them into the 18650 pack, and run small ac powered devices no matter where I am.
    When I bought them, they were on sale for $19.

AC voltage: 100-120V
    Continuous Output Power: 150W

No load current draw: 0.2A

USB port Power Outlet: 5-Volt, 1 Amp

Battery low shutdown: 11+/- 0.5V (12V); 22+/-1.0V(24V)
    Over voltage: 16±0.5V (12V)

Last edited by Norm; 12-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.

got my ebay single 18650 USB charger today!

its the one with the usb led optic plug in light (very smooth beam actually)

works with my iPhone4 great so far and fits an AW2600 fine.
    probably enough room for the AW2900 etc.

I dont have time to see if it will charge the phone up from dead but
    at least it works....always a gamble with cheap HK ebay stuff.

I also have one of those small rectangular cheapo portable chargers that says
    1900mah on it and it only charges er up about 10-15% before dying.
    avoid those if you see em!

really liking this little USB optic light for some reason.. *shrug*

If I may add my own 2 cents here:

Someone mentioned earlier that Apple products require certain voltages on the data lines to initiate charging. Another then replied to about the use of HTC phones.

Apple isn't the only company to do charger verification, they're just the only ones who are strict about it. What I mean is this: an iPhone will refuse to charge on a non-OEM charger that (for example) a HTC product would work with. However, it may not charge at the maximum rate, even if the rated current is high enough for the device.

Using a battery monitoring app on my HTC phone (Current Widget), I noticed two different charging rates when connected to the supplied HTC charger (~800mA) and an off-brand car charger (~350mA). While the slower charging rate may be fine if you only want to supplement your device's internal battery during use, it's not the best for charging the device as quickly as possible.

I bring this up for 2 reasons:

1 - most portable chargers only supply 500mA because that is the most common standard cellphone manufacturers use. (Even in-car chargers have this limit, because it is cheaper to provide 500mA than it is 1A) Because of this, any devices that do charger verification will limit the charging rate to at or below 500mA, reserving a higher rate for when they are charged by an OEM charger.

2 - many battery operated chargers don't supply more than 500mA because of efficiency or physical limits. In the case of those who are using Li-xx cells though, you have much more capabilities available. As someone had pointed out before, buck regulators are more capable than boost regulators by nature, so having a higher starting voltage allows for supplying higher current.

If you do have a charger that is rated for supplying 1A and you have an Apple or HTC product (I know those two manufacturers do charger verification), I would suggest using DATA line voltages that enable the higher charging rate so you can get the most out of your batteries and chargers.

For example, if you modified an iPod/iPhone charging cable with 4 resistors (create two voltage dividers to set the voltages on the data wires going to the device but do not connect them to the data lines of the USB plug going to the charger, so the data line voltages will always be correct) and labeled it exclusively for 1A charging, it would work with any 1A charger you have.
    Last edited by aEx155; 08-06-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by aEx155 View Post
    Another then replied to about the use of HTC phones.
    Well, my HTC got down to 2% last night, so I thought it was an excellent time to test out my 18650 charger (charger that charges cellphone from 1 x 18650 from DX) with a Trustfire protected 18650 cell (black/red 2400mAh from DX) which went OK.
    I got my phone from 2% to 100% fine with the 18650 pretty much fully drained - clearly some power lost to whatever inefficiencies, but the desired result was achieved.

I installed battery monitor widget and found that the phone was a/c charging at a good rate from the charger that came with it, but only USB charging (slower rate) from the DX 18650 charger even if I held down the charger's power button to put it into high output mode. I have bought spare USB leads from DX so I decided to sacrifice one of those to an experiment: I slice open the cable near the phone end and cut the green & white wires (leaving the red & black wires alone) then I shorted the green & white wires together and tested the 18650 charger with this cable - I got a/c charging at around 800mA according to battery monitor widget. So it seems the higher charge rate is available on the HTC if the 2 data pins are shorted or if the supplied a/c charger is used (it presumable shorts the data wires).
    Last edited by KiwiMark; 08-10-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Changed DX deleted to simple description

So it seems the higher charge rate is available on the HTC if the 2 data pins are shorted or if the supplied a/c charger is used (it presumable shorts the data wires).
    FYI KiwiMark:
    http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

Wonder if the HTC uses something similar (non-standard voltage on the data lines to control charge current).

UPDATED:
    Oops looks like Rando already pointed it out to you. Anyway in case you want to play around with resistors on the data lines.
    Last edited by thamster; 08-08-2011 at 03:03 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thamster View Post
    FYI KiwiMark:
    http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

Wonder if the HTC uses something similar (non-standard voltage on the data lines to control charge current).

UPDATED:
    Oops looks like Rando already pointed it out to you. Anyway in case you want to play around with resistors on the data lines.
    It really does look like the HTC method is ultra simple - normal data wires = USB charging capped at 500mA to avoid harming the PC and shorted (or at least <200 Ohms) data wires = mains charging so it's OK to go up to 1A. Since the phone's battery is only 1260 then at 1A a flat battery can go to 80% in an hour which is decent enough charging performance.

I have 2 of the 1S chargers from DX and 2 of the 4P chargers from Ebay and 2 of the 2S2P chargers from Ebay - all are claiming to be capable of 1A charging. The 2S2P chargers will hopefully have 4 cells each tomorrow (or the day after at the latest) which will be 2500mAh unprotected cells - these are the chargers that are supposed to be really efficient (with only buck voltage conversion required) which hopefully means 6 or 7 full charges from one fully charged set of 4 cells. This should mean 1 charger with 4 cells is good for 7+ days and 2 fully loaded chargers should cover me for 14+ days away from power. Although if I use GPS while hiking I'll probably get much less because the GPS drains the hell out of the phone, but then again I usually would be less than 1 week away from power so I should be OK.

These days we tend to rely more on our cellphones with them often covering many duties like phone, camera, video camera, GPS, book reader, calculator, sending & receiving texts, sending & receiving E-Mail, web browsing, uploading photos & videos to Facebook/Twitter/Google+/youtube, music player, etc. With the larger screens (mine is 4.3") and the higher performance the smartphones often need to be charged every night, so the ability to recharge for a few days away from power is VERY useful. When I only had a 1 x AA or 2 x AA charger I would have needed a LOT of batteries to recharge the phone every night for several nights, but now using 18650 cells it is all so much easier! A charger little bigger than a deck of card but with 37Wh of power storage is pretty darned good IMO.

Shorted data lines is actually in the USB Consortium's USB Charging specs. However, the HTC would be also in violation of those specs, since they don't allow you to draw more than 100mA if presented only with voltage across Vcc and GND (in that case must wait for negoatiation with Host PC).

hmm

I wonder if thats why this charger worked with my iPhone4 and not with
    my friends iPhone3GS. Mine is def charging on the slow side - maybe Ill
    buy an extra USB/iPhone cable and try splicing two of the wires together?

Im cool with the slow charge as its more of an emergency backup. I noticed
    it takes almost all of an AW2600 to charge my phone batt to full. def not that
    efficient with the boost and then buck conversion.

still it DOES work and the little USB flashlight is nice to have as another backup.
    I havent tried charging the 18650 with the USB plugged into my computer as I
    dont have any of those cables around + Id rather use a dedicated LiCo charger.

one of these days Ill get one of the 4X 18650 chargers on eBay.

for now Im more than satisfied with the single.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    still it DOES work and the little USB flashlight is nice to have as another backup.
    I havent tried charging the 18650 with the USB plugged into my computer as I
    dont have any of those cables around + Id rather use a dedicated LiCo charger.

for now Im more than satisfied with the single.
    Hey, if it does the job then it is pretty much good enough.

I bought one of those cables so that I could charge my Li-ion cells from someone's computer while away from my home & hobby chargers - I figure I could charge my phone + Li-ion cells while a computer with USB ports is available and then charge my phone from the Li-ion cells later on when there is no computer available. A USB male to USB male cable isn't exactly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLumen View Post
    Just recieved this one today. I have a cpl of 18650's in it, i will try and charge my htc desire hd with it later...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3059wt_932
    Just got exactly this one (with 3 leds on one side, to distinguish it from others I've seen on ebay). So far, it seems to do what it's supposed to, but I was wondering if anyone has figured out what the micro switches are for. (There's one beside the red rocker switch that's accessible when the case is closed up and another on the other side of the pcb that you can only get at with the cover off.)

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast