I recently purchased a SWM T20CS, which is fantastic, and got a batch of XTAR CR123's with it. I normally carry the light in my in my bag where ever I go, so it does get knocked around a bit. Nothing major tho, just walking around or geocaching. I went to use it yesterday and to my surprise it did not come on at all. I have only had this light for a couple of weeks, and not put a lot of usage on these batteries yet. So I don't think they ran dry from my usage. I opened up the light and found this.
I tested the batteries with a multimeter and they read 1.7 volts. Yikes. What I think may have happened is that the light was accidentally turned on in my bag and ran it dead. (yes, next time I will unscrew the cap a turn to disconnect the batteries.)
Is it normal for primaries to either heat up or expand, the only two things I can think that would do this to the plastic, when they are run down? (I'm leaning towards the heat more than expansion as the metal does not appear to have expanded.) Or is it possible that there is something wrong with these batteries?