DX.com
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 434

Thread: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

  1. #241

    Default Re: 18650 Battery Power Box, USB, 4 Cells, No Protection - Thoughts?

    mine works fine with protected trustfires. Very useful box

  2. #242
    Flashaholic* tobrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Georgia Highway 441
    Posts
    3,787

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    i'm trying mine out for the first time now. using pulled laptop cells. i have it plugged into an XTAR MP2 with an AW protected in the charger.

    i checked with my Fluke DMM and the voltage going to the battery is a solid 4.18v. will report back if it blows up
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

  3. #243

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    I just bought one today, supposedly one with adjustable output current (eBay #170880896962).

    After ordering it I did have one concern: do these chargers terminate correctly? I don't exactly plan to open the pack to charge the batteries with an external charger, so I hope the box itself is smart enough not to overcharge the cells.

    Also, I will need to balance the cells when putting them in for the first time?

  4. #244

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
    I just bought one today, supposedly one with adjustable output current (eBay #170880896962).

    After ordering it I did have one concern: do these chargers terminate correctly? I don't exactly plan to open the pack to charge the batteries with an external charger, so I hope the box itself is smart enough not to overcharge the cells.

    Also, I will need to balance the cells when putting them in for the first time?
    You need to check the voltage of the batteries to see if they are close enough in voltage otherwise one battery will try and charge the other(s) and if voltage difference is too much could draw a lot of current through the wires in the box and either melt something or burn something up. I would probably consider charging them 1 at a time using the box if you don't have a meter to check I am thinking the charge rate would be the same 1 at a time vs all 4 at once anyway.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  5. #245

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    You need to check the voltage of the batteries to see if they are close enough in voltage otherwise one battery will try and charge the other(s) and if voltage difference is too much could draw a lot of current through the wires in the box and either melt something or burn something up. I would probably consider charging them 1 at a time using the box if you don't have a meter to check I am thinking the charge rate would be the same 1 at a time vs all 4 at once anyway.
    Eh, just so we are clear on this, I only need to match the voltage right?

    I can use my 87V

    I don't have a hobby charger at the moment, so I won't be able to do discharge testing on the cells.

  6. #246

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
    I had bought two similar to this but in a 4P configuration. Both ended up dying on me. One just will not turn on anymore unless the activate button inside is held down. The other just died one day when I switched it on to use it (hadn't even used it yet, it just lit up for a short time and that was it).

    So either I have had extremely bad luck or these things are way cheaply built. They seem a bit expensive at $12+ considering what you get.

    Do you think this 2S2P one is any better?
    Quote Originally Posted by bp_968 View Post
    Well, so far mine still works, but it's only been used for a short time so I have no idea how reliable it will be long term.
    Oh dear, which seller you bought yours from? I just got one from the ewholesale seller, hope I don't get a dud that dies after a month

  7. #247

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
    Eh, just so we are clear on this, I only need to match the voltage right?

    I can use my 87V

    I don't have a hobby charger at the moment, so I won't be able to do discharge testing on the cells.
    Yes, as the voltage difference between cells causes the current to flow between them, as long as it is the same in a parallel circuit the capacity doesn't matter as the stronger cells will put out more power resisting more the drop in voltage than the weaker cells with less capacity. It is with cells in series that you have to match capacity well as you can have cells with the same voltage but a big difference in capacity causing problems when one cell depletes and the other tries to reverse charge it... possibly causing disastrous results if they are not protected cells.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  8. #248

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Does this look right to you guys:
    http://www.quickertek.com/images/LbbMBA.png

    It appears to be a regular 5V 2A version charging a Macbook Air??
    This guy/company is selling that box and cable (not sure about power adaptor) for $200
    Only asking because I'm looking for such a version myself.. thanks

  9. #249

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by alex21 View Post
    Does this look right to you guys:
    http://www.quickertek.com/images/LbbMBA.png

    It appears to be a regular 5V 2A version charging a Macbook Air??
    This guy/company is selling that box and cable (not sure about power adaptor) for $200
    Only asking because I'm looking for such a version myself.. thanks
    looks like one of those cheapo boxes you can find on fleabay, they sell em for $11

  10. #250

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by asval View Post
    looks like one of those cheapo boxes you can find on fleabay, they sell em for $11
    Thanks, yeah I got a few Damn was hoping I could find a modded box like this for a trek soon. Hypermac external batteries are big and pricey.

  11. #251
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Woodland, CA
    Posts
    9,555

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Am using an Astro3 External Battery by ANNKER, $60.00 from Amazon. Output is 5V/2A, 9V/12V 2A. Stated capacity is 10,000mAh. Li-Poly. Wt 304g. Bought it to give a boost to my Logitech speakers, but it will charge/run most anything within stated specs.

    Bill

  12. #252

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Am using an Astro3 External Battery by ANNKER, $60.00 from Amazon. Output is 5V/2A, 9V/12V 2A. Stated capacity is 10,000mAh. Li-Poly. Wt 304g. Bought it to give a boost to my Logitech speakers, but it will charge/run most anything within stated specs.

    Bill
    Cheers Bill,

    Looks like a great device, especially for the price. The Macbook Air, however, and other similar net/notebooks I believe require a voltage upwards of 15v

  13. #253
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Woodland, CA
    Posts
    9,555

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by alex21 View Post
    Cheers Bill,

    Looks like a great device, especially for the price. The Macbook Air, however, and other similar net/notebooks I believe require a voltage upwards of 15v
    It will work with the iPad. But I digress, as the OP is interested in an 18650, not a Li-Poly charger.

    Bill

  14. #254

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    These 2 are black, but DX sells them in white as well:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4-x-186...d-black-128889
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-x-186...e-black-129749

    Kai has several of the same lights, but with different LEDs. They all take x3 18650 batteries, have a single LED flashlight, and offer x2 USB charging ports (1.5A + 1/2A = 2A)
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020383
    http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S020384

    Here's another source for the T6 light / charger:
    http://www.intl-outdoor.com/double-u...ght-p-365.html
    Last edited by recycledelectrons; 08-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.

  15. #255

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    I found one more:

    http://www.manafont.com/product_info...charger-p-3964
    This is a single 18650 charger with a small flashlight built in.

  16. #256

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by recycledelectrons View Post
    I found one more:

    http://www.manafont.com/product_info...charger-p-3964
    This is a single 18650 charger with a small flashlight built in.
    This one can be a tight fit for some (or most) protected batteries. Looks well made. If you don't need the case and adaptors, this can be had pretty cheap on ebay if you're patient (sniped 2x for under $10 each).

  17. #257

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    I have one of these and it's working quite nicely:
    http://www.intl-outdoor.com/ml102-us...ery-p-243.html

  18. #258

    Default Re: 18650 Cell Phone Charger

    Quote Originally Posted by wshyang View Post
    Oh dear, which seller you bought yours from? I just got one from the ewholesale seller, hope I don't get a dud that dies after a month
    My 4P box has been used almost daily going on a year now..

  19. #259
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    15

    Default Mobile USB power

    I am not sure where to post this, so lets see how I do.

    I recently got my first smartphone (SGS3) and I am not happy with the battery life. There are higher capacity batteries that can be used, but I am looking for a power supply for smartphone, standard phone, camera and what not. I would like to find a power supply that can be charged in the car or house, charge two phones and use existing 18650 batteries. This way I could get bigger batteries as they become available.
    Any suggestions?

  20. #260
    Flashaholic* Wrend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States, IL
    Posts
    650

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    There are a few different Li-ion based charging packs for phones (such as this: http://www.eneloop.info/eneloop-prod...e-booster.html). The phone's "inelegance" isn't really relevant though.

    USB is 5V, and you'll probably want it regulated there if you're making your own battery pack power supply for charging.

    For me, it would be ideal if mobile phones ran on 3 AAs (similar voltage characteristics of 1 Li-ion cell) so I could use Eneloops in them. Fat chance of them making something that practical and non-proprietary though.
    Last edited by Wrend; 01-05-2013 at 06:25 PM.

  21. #261
    Flashaholic* Changchung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Where the night is too short...
    Posts
    2,084

    Default Mobile USB power

    Hi, in the forum exist thread of this already.

    Some time ago I buy two power box that work with 4 18650 and 3 amp usb output. Ok, both stop working very fast, used a couples of times, the others models. 2amp and 2,5amp seems be betters, any way, I replace the electronic and install a usb 1 amp output, in sell in ebay for less of 3$ shipped, those work just fine, I used a lot. I just buy too in buyincoins two things, one is a 18650 charger with usb output, the others is like a tube flashlight that carry a 18650 and had a usb output and you can charge the battery inside via usb.


    Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it...
    Zebralight Spark Princeton Inova Petzl Maglite Bushnell 4 XM-L MagMod and a lot of Cree XM-L Lights Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Intl-outdoor 3400 Panasonic 3100 Bare and protected Samsung 3000 Sanyo 2600
    Please, respect the planet, dont kill animals...

  22. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    879

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
    For me, it would be ideal if mobile phones ran on 3 AAs (similar voltage characteristics of 1 Li-ion cell) so I could use Eneloops in them. Fat chance of them making something that practical and non-proprietary though.
    Why you'd want to run low energy density batteries (that, in addition, are very hard to charge) in a phone, something that is designed to be compact and light? :/

  23. #263
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    15

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    Enloop does make great a great battery, but I was hoping to use 18650 batteries that I already have. Even if I can figure out my phone and tame the battery useage, it still would be nice to have backup power for multiple devices.

  24. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    879

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    You can use ML-102 charger if you want to charge your phone from a 18650.

  25. #265

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    It appears that not all devices capable of being charged by usb use the same wiring/format. For example the more recent iphone's apparently won't work with some battery powered chargers. I built a "minty boost" from a kit - it uses 2 aa batteries to supply power and will work with quite a few items to provide a charge. However mine is the first generation and it won't work with a number of gadgets - it just won't charge.

    There is a good description of the problem and solution here:

    http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html
    (if the link isn't permitted search for "mintyboost iphone")

    I know my minty boost will charge an older mp3 player (a sansa) and my Garmin Nuvi gps but won't work with my samsung galaxy ace phone. I haven't used it with anything else.

    Just a caution to ensure that whatever you do get works with the items you plan to use.

    John.
    Last edited by jcs0001; 01-05-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: didn't complete post

  26. #266

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    Sorry - I hit a couple of keys and posted before finishing. Please see edited post above.

    John.

  27. #267
    Flashaholic* Wrend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States, IL
    Posts
    650

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    Why you'd want to run low energy density batteries (that, in addition, are very hard to charge) in a phone, something that is designed to be compact and light? :/
    A little off topic, but since you asked: They have similar energy density, with the slight advantage going to Li-ion. (Though granted, the AA shape, whether NiMH or Li-ion, might not be the most efficient use of space.) Loose NiMH (specifically Eneloop) AAs are a lot easier to use, charge, and replace when needed, and I never have to wait for them to charge, and can carry extra sets charged and ready to use. The Eneloops also likely have a significantly higher cumulative lifetime capacity potential. Also, in an emergency or unexpected need, I could find alkaline or lithium primaries to use in the phone.
    Last edited by Wrend; 01-05-2013 at 09:47 PM.

  28. #268

  29. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern Europe
    Posts
    879

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
    A little off topic, but since you asked: They have similar energy density, with the slight advantage going to Li-ion. (Though granted, the AA shape, whether NiMH or Li-ion, might not be the most efficient use of space.) Loose NiMH (specifically Eneloop) AAs are a lot easier to use, charge, and replace when needed, and I never have to wait for them to charge, and can carry extra sets charged and ready to use. The Eneloops also likely have a significantly higher cumulative lifetime capacity potential. Also, in an emergency or unexpected need, I could find alkaline or lithium primaries to use in the phone.
    Uhm no, they don't have similar energy density.
    Modern Li-Ion cells have 600-730 Wh/L energy density, while Eneloops (in particular) have 260 Wh/L - that's almost 3 times less.
    Weight difference is similar - 250+ Wh/kg for modern Li-Ion's, and just pathetic 90 Wh/kg for Eneloops. If you'd enjoy carrying a brick in your pocket, fine. But 99% of people wouldn't.

  30. #270
    Flashaholic* Wrend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    United States, IL
    Posts
    650

    Default Re: Mobile USB power

    My comparison was between NiMH AAs and Li-ion 14500s. Standard Eneloops in particular do have more of a lower energy density than some higher capacity NiMH cells. Also, is your estimate including only discharging the Li-ion cells to 80% of their capacity potential?

    The weight and size of 3 AAs is small enough to be insignificant for use in a cell phone, at least for me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •