• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Solitaire Nano Engine Kit - Cancelled

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Project Canceled

I know many more people would enjoy Modding Solitaire if there's an inexpensive light engine small enough to fit. I've only seen one kit ever offered for Solitare through CPF history, that was the Micro-Pill with Luxeon
offered by Lambda back in 2005 for $35: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/71568

After modding many solitaires, one of my most fav. was this one,
that was a "thrower" among my many floody solitaire builds. It was
based on Golden Dragon led: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/248797

I am trying to bring a new offer to CPF, a Solitaire Nano Engine kit based on Golden Dragon. I found a source from Panda land with a Nano Engine that almost fit Solitaire, it's only about 12mm. However, some filling is still needed, as the soli OD is 12mm but ID in the head is around 10.5 mm.

I am hoping to be able to offer it at <20/kit, CANUS Only.

Please post your interests in the thread, but do not PM me, my box is pretty full.
I'll answer all question here in this post, if enough interest, I'll do a pre-order thread.

The kit wil contain:

• Nano Light Engine with Single mode Boost driver for use with 1AAA regular alk or 1 AAA NiMH, 0.5A constant current regulation.
  • Nano Engine will come already mounted with Golden Dragon LED
  • An Aluminum Reflector pre-focused to the Golden Dragon light engine.
  • There won't be other led options or multimodes, this is it.
  • Can not use with 10440.
Because it's so small, you may be able to use it to mod other small lights such as Finix E01, Arc AAA, stream light Keymate, Mag 2xAA etc.
But I won't have examples & won't be able to help.

Here is an example that I installed a "Sample" kit I received into Solitaire:

The Golden Dragon Nano Engine with Aluminum reflector kit next to the Solitaire head for size reference:
img3755p.jpg

I used a small sanding wheel attached to a drill to sand off the internal thread of the head first, so it'll be easier to go in:
img3771.jpg

The side of the engine has a circular plate that was glued to the heat sink,
I am referring to the section between the led & the IC Board.
img3776k.jpg

Cut it with a plier & remove it. This will give you some extra room to fit in the head & also reduce filing efforts.
img3778j.jpg

The next steps are fairly straight forward, fill down the reflector diameter, heat sink diameter & the IC board diameter so they all go into the Solitaire head. If you have file, you can do it with some patience. I used sanding wheel first & then finished it with a file. If you over file the board, you may damage it, so be careful & only file off what you need.
I also filed off about 1-2mm from the front of teh reflector to make it shorter.
img3780g.jpg

Next, I cut the Solitaire just above the neck, used a step drill to enlarge the opening just a bit so that an AAA battery will:
1, Go through the opening easily
2, Will extend above the opening so that it can contact the positive center of the board.
img3782h.jpg

After that, I simply inserted the neck into the head & glued them together,
make sure to push hard when you glue it, so when it's done,the rim of the neck is in firm contact with the negative ring of the IC board as seen in the photo above.

Now, the finished light sitting next to three others that I am going to compare the beam with. ITP TI AAA, Peak Shasta 3 LED HP & my 10280 mag Soli. also running Golden Dragon but with narrow optics.

Some of the advantage of this Mod:
1, You don;t need to mod the tail cap, the stock tail cap is now operating as twisty.
2, No soldering needed, only cutting, drilling & grinding are necessary.
3, It'll be a throwy beam with a tight spot, tighter than all my previous Soli. mods.

img3795z.jpg

Beam shot to follow on the next post.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Solitaire Nano Engine Kit -Project Cancelled!

Beam shots:
Solitaire with Nano Engine is always on the left:

Vs. ITP Ti on Hi
itptiq5.jpg

VS. ITP TI on Mid
vsipttimed.jpg

Vs. Peak Shasta 3 led HP
vspeak3ledhp.jpg

Vs. Soli 10180, Golden Dragon with Narrow Optics
vs10180soligg.jpg

The reflector comes with this kit is SMO for throw, there's a ring but it's far from the spot.
However, one can spray to stipple the reflector into OP if desired for better beam with reduced throw.
Because it's running at 0.5A only, this would give you 1.5-2hr long run time depends on what AAA.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: Solitaire Nano Engine Kit - **Feeler**

Terralux made a Nichcia led Solitaire "drop-in". It was much more costly than what you are proposing, though. It was on a board that used the same bi-pin mounting style as the original bulb and used the original reflector. Nice to see someone breathing some new life into the ole Solitaire!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Terralux made a Nichcia led Solitaire "drop-in". It was much more costly than what you are proposing, though. It was on a board that used the same bi-pin mounting style as the original bulb and used the original reflector. Nice to see someone breathing some new life into the ole Solitaire!

The Terralux is a drop-in, so no grinding & filing involved, but its only 10 lumens or so?

The 0.5A driven Golden Dragon should be about 90 lumens or so, but needs some DIY elbow grease to get it installed.

BVH

Flashaholic

The Terralux is a drop-in, so no grinding & filing involved, but its only 10 lumens or so?

The 0.5A driven Golden Dragon should be about 90 lumens or so, but needs some DIY elbow grease to get it installed.

I don't know the Lumens of the TLux but 10 might be in the neighborhood, nothing close to the 90 you're talking about.

randyo

Enlightened

I still have a Soli with the Terralux drop-in. If it puts out 10 lumens at least 7 or 8 of them must be coming out the arse and rattling around in the tube 'cuz it sure as heck ain't throwing much light out the front!
That being said it's still a heck of a lot better than the little incan bulb!!!!! Not to mention the long run-time over the original config.
But - bottom line is I hate the Solitaire body. The anodizing wears off practically on a windy day, and the aluminum isn't as sturdy as more modern offerings.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

agree!

But soli has 3 things going for it.

1. The slimest AAA tube, period.

2. Many nice colors

3. As a mod host, the most fun you could ever have for 5 bucks.

luckybucket

Newly Enlightened

I will buy one. My wife keeps bugging me find a pink light for her and the solitaire is one of the few that I have found in that color. I can definitely do the simple sanding and modding it will require for installation.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like a Tank007 E07 AA Osram lightengine. Good if you can add a XP-G upgrade.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

It does look similar, as seen in my Larry Light clone thread where I took the E07 apart, but the nano engine is smaller.

Hill

Enlightened

ma sha1,

Nice idea! I think you found a nice untapped market hear for an AAA drop in (with a little elbow grease by the end user).

I have been following your many soli mods and think you have done a great job with all of them. I have one in the works now and find it to be challenging given the limited space inside the host.

Good luck with your sale!
Hill

Ferry

Newly Enlightened

I would like one kit.. even better if there is choice for XP-G. :huh:

BTW, will you ship internationally? :whistle:

Regards,
FF

stinky

Newly Enlightened

I would like one kit.. even better if there is choice for XP-G. :huh:

BTW, will you ship internationally? :whistle:

Regards,
FF
Yes, XP-G would make it more interesting to me too.

Love your work by the way. You do some very cool stuff!

lightdog

Newly Enlightened

With international shipping i would be very interested:twothumbs