Z57 Tail Switch Opinions

alberto

Enlightened
I'm curious if anyone has modified their opinions of the Z57 switch after now using it for a while. Initial reactions were generally good, but what about now?

Even though I had lusted after a clickie before, I'm not too sure now that I've used my L4 for a couple of weeks.

I had no problems before with carrying my E1e/KL1 or E2e in my casual pants pocket without the lockout engaged. When I pulled the light from my pocket, it was ready to fire. If I wanted constant-on (pretty rare), it was just a twist of the tail.

Now, with the L4, with its light-touch momentary, I wouldn't dare put it in my pocket without being locked out. So, to use it, it's *always* a twist to unlock first. I've grown to dislike contstantly locking and unlocking. Plus the mechanical feel and noise of the constant-on has become a little annoying. I think I like and appreciate the harder momentary and the smooth, solid feel of the twistie on the E2e better.

Just my opinion. I know, I'm being picky but that's part of what makes us happy flashaholics. If we weren't picky, we would all be carrying POS RayOVacs and not sweating the small stuff. And we'd have more money in our pockets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John Frederick

Enlightened
Not having seen one yet I'm just guessing, but I wonder if one of our enterprising modders can come up with a stiffer spring to install?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think you can stretch the spring a little bit to make it slightly harder to push.

As opinions go, I like the clickie and soft initial engagement.

tattoou2

Enlightened
Before the Z57, I loved the E2E twistie. Having now played with the Z57 for a few days, I can only say perhaps this is the way it should have been all along.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

You are a reactionary sod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Heck I remember when you wouldn't consider a LED either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although not optimal for certain forms of carry, when in use, the clickie is pretty darn hard to beat! I'd switch all of my lights over if I could get or afford all of the Z57's. Ouch, don't want to think about this for a number of reasons........

I *would* prefer an extended tail guard/ candle stand but I understand this is in conflict with tactical as well as elbow access. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As I recall and to paraphrase PK, "Been there, done that; nah..." Oh well, to each his own....

- Don

Size15's

Flashaholic
Don,
I'm reactionary?! How dare you be so rude! I'm horrified that you take such an aggressive and outrageously personal tone towards me on CPF!
[I can be over-reactionary too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ]

I remember talking about your ideas for TailCap design (guard) with PK. I think it was because there was this "finger-trap" TailCap on his desk that I mentioned I thought it was pretty silly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
We then went on to talk about the good ideas you've had. It was a longer conversation sir.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nonbox

Banned
I'm looking for the Z57 Tail Switch for my e1 & e2.

Is it olive drab HA finish?
Does it have a lock out?
How much does it cost?

jcciv

Newly Enlightened
nonbox, let me know if you find one, I want one too. After 2 days of using the L4, I am ready to switch my other 5 surefires over to some sort of clicky. I agree with tattoou2, this is the way that it should have always been.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The Z57's came from Tactical Warehouse.
They are HA & match E2e/HA etc.
If you turn it back about 1/4 turn it locks out.
I don't remember what I gave for them, sorry. I bought
several things at the time. Dan is getting them off KL4's,&
selling parts. I don't think Surefire has released them yet.
I hope this helps.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GeoffChan said:
Dan doesn't have any Z57's right now. Apparently the few he had were faulty.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered two Z-57's from Dan when he announced he had some for sale, and they were waiting for me at home when I returned from being gone all last week. I've got one on an E1e and the other on an E2e (tried it on a UBH too), and with more than 20 cycles on the switches so far, both work flawlessly. Mine are definitely not defective.

-Keith

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, my tail switches from Dan were ok too. But he did mention that he was taking them off his page...so maybe NeonLights and I were just lucky to get good Z57s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was pleasantly surprised by the Z57 mechanics. Seems like PK and crew have succeeded in making a clickie switch that even LEO's would be happy with (if you'll pardon my presumption).

While accidental on is an issue the lockout is only a 1/4 turn so I am quite satisfied with it (I carry mine in my jeans' thigh pocket so this is not a big issue for me). Perhaps SF can put together a rubber boot for pocket carry protection. Of course the problem can also be solved with proper sheath design.

Cheers.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I'm just guessing but I think Dan sent back the KL4's
because of the issue with orings. I read somewhere he
sent back all but 12. I bought 5 clickies & 2 KL4's.
All worked OK.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nonbox said:
Any one have a pic of the z57?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go, nonbox. You are welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
{B22C5D28-7192-4D3C-9EE1-519EB2CF0473}lg.jpg
{3F2D15E6-BE36-4DD0-9055-B531481CBDCB}lg.jpg

Jtivat is the man!

Ever since I received my E1e, I have been waiting for a clickie to replace the twistie which is too stiff to activate.

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
I just got my Z57 and it seems very, very "stiff"
to operate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It is much stiffer or harder to push "on"
than my Z48 clickies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is this normal? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Is there a "break-in" period? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Should I send this back to Dan at TW or call SureFire direct?

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts