UK AquaSun eLED

Kilted

Enlightened
Does any one here own one of these lights? I have done a number of searchs both on CandlePower and on the general internet and have found very few reviews. Mostly one short paragraph saying 1) I like it, 2) I like it, to heavy, 3) It needs a cable.

Nothing really about underwater performance, on land performance, retro fitting the UK 20101 Driver Module/Bezel on to an existing C8 body.

I am tempted to buy just the Driver Module/Bezel as I have a C8 donor body. Of course I would use NiMH either regular or Low Discharge Accupower.

Any comments would be appreciated?

Thank you,
=D~~Kilted

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any one here own one of these lights? I have done a number of searchs both on CandlePower and on the general internet and have found very few reviews. Mostly one short paragraph saying 1) I like it, 2) I like it, to heavy, 3) It needs a cable.

Nothing really about underwater performance, on land performance, retro fitting the UK 20101 Driver Module/Bezel on to an existing C8 body.

I am tempted to buy just the Driver Module/Bezel as I have a C8 donor body. Of course I would use NiMH either regular or Low Discharge Accupower.

Any comments would be appreciated?

Thank you,
=D~~Kilted

I did read that you can't do that...the body of the AquaSun isn't the same size even though it looks similar. You can't upgrade the LightCanon that way either. I can't find the link however.

I've seen it in a dive store and my buddy (works at the dive store) has a few dives on it. Says to him the output looks about the same as the LightCannon without the hotspot in the center. Still has the tight central beam of course just not the little point that you get from a HID.

I think there are much better ways of getting that output in a smaller package for far less money.

Here's one choice : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29069

The GS35 is another (see recent thread).

Kilted

Enlightened
I did read that you can't do that...the body of the AquaSun isn't the same size even though it looks similar. You can't upgrade the LightCanon that way either. I can't find the link however.

I've seen it in a dive store and my buddy (works at the dive store) has a few dives on it. Says to him the output looks about the same as the LightCannon without the hotspot in the center. Still has the tight central beam of course just not the little point that you get from a HID.

I think there are much better ways of getting that output in a smaller package for far less money.

Interesting, I am glad I stopped here before sending money. I would still like to know the difference in the heads. From what I see on the dimensions they are about the same size. The light modules have an alignment key, usually at the top opposite the switch. I suspect the alignment key has been moved changed, etc. On the UK website they did mention the AquaSun has too much power draw for alkalines. Done so to keep people like me from putting the head on an old body and then complain about the poor performance when running with alkaline. I do not like there nicad battery pack.

The GS35 looks like about the same as my Barbolight. The Cree SSC-P7-C-SXO looks interesting.

Thank you,

=D~~Kilted

gav6280

Enlightened
Barbolightsw are way way better than UK ones. Diffrent league.

Cant really recommend the hairdryer style to anyone for any application actually, very impractical.

Kilted

Enlightened

Well the diving Cree appears to have its challenges also, starting at post #27;
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/295891-driver-ssc-p7-leds-3.html

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am aware of the challenges. I've made some of those posts on the various boards! I have the MC-E version.

However, it is still a good bang for your buck. There are a few potential problems and in most cases you can overcome those easily.

Mine had a dimming problem that was resolved by simply changing batteries and I did have a flood. That was fixed (I think) by cutting one coil from the spring to allow the o-ring to compress properly. No problems since.

It's brighter than my 10W Light Cannon, has a more natural light output, and is 1/3 the size and weight allowing me to use it hands free. It cost $95. So, it's worth considering!

Well the diving Cree appears to have its challenges also, starting at post #27;
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/295891-driver-ssc-p7-leds-3.html

Kilted

Enlightened

For those interested I just came from a dive shop that had the AquaSun in stock. We swapped the head to a C8 eLED and it fit nicely, and lit things up.

SO if you want to upgrade/retro fit an old C8 eLED body you can do that. As recommend by UK run the thing on NiMH AND if you are in a pinch you can still run off of C8 alkalines you just will not get much time. There is a two position switch Alkaline/Rechargable.

=D~~Kilted

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those interested I just came from a dive shop that had the AquaSun in stock. We swapped the head to a C8 eLED and it fit nicely, and lit things up.

SO if you want to upgrade/retro fit an old C8 eLED body you can do that. As recommend by UK run the thing on NiMH AND if you are in a pinch you can still run off of C8 alkalines you just will not get much time. There is a two position switch Alkaline/Rechargable.

=D~~Kilted

Interesting. I guess what I read was incorrect! I stand corrected.

I'm curious as to how much the head unit is. The retail for the whole thing is about $380. I would imagine most of that is the head as the plastic body can't be much.

Kilted

Enlightened
Interesting. I guess what I read was incorrect! I stand corrected.

I'm curious as to how much the head unit is. The retail for the whole thing is about $380. I would imagine most of that is the head as the plastic body can't be much.

The cost of the plastic body. Considering how things are manufactered these days I could not understand why the body would have been changed as this by its self would have driven the unit costs much higher. The remarks I was getting back from distributors did not make any sense sounded like marketing.

List price of the head is $230. I have seen online stores offer as low as $120 but no stock special order only. The running cost for in stock seems to be about $175.

Buying just the head you are not buying two handles, a body, a nicad pack, nicad charger, etc. I would expect the "rest of the stuff to make up 40-50% unit assembled cost. Spares are allways marked up I would expect from a $230 list the actual cost less than half that.

=D~~KIlted

Update; I found a spec sheet for the Aquasun module. Input voltage is 9.6 nom. So it is really is designed for NiMH/nicad batteries. The C8 eLed Plus input voltage 10.4 average, alkaline/rechargables.

Last edited:

Kilted

Enlightened
I did go out and buy the AquaSun module and bezel assembly. It fits on any C8 body that would include the light cannon.

I tested the run time in a bucket of water to cool the head. On full with Maha Powerex 5000 mah cells three hours off the charger. About two hours full brightness, with another hour dimming light. I never did test low power mode.

Beam spread is considerable it is a medium to close distance flood light, and it is really bright. It lights up my backyard and the neighobors house. It has not been under water yet, considering it is a flood in limited vis expect a lot of back scatter. Color is balance is good overall even on reds.

As an onshore work light this thing is compact, bright, impact resistant, water tight and heavy with a NiMH battery pack. I tend to use it in low power mode, switching to high for short periods as needed.

Bottom line, yes the module does work on a C8 body, spec. sheet indicates it is designed for Nicad/NiMH.

=D~~ Kilted

christianb

Newly Enlightened
I did go out and buy the AquaSun module and bezel assembly. It fits on any C8 body that would include the light cannon.

I tested the run time in a bucket of water to cool the head. On full with Maha Powerex 5000 mah cells three hours off the charger. About two hours full brightness, with another hour dimming light. I never did test low power mode.

Beam spread is considerable it is a medium to close distance flood light, and it is really bright. It lights up my backyard and the neighobors house. It has not been under water yet, considering it is a flood in limited vis expect a lot of back scatter. Color is balance is good overall even on reds.

As an onshore work light this thing is compact, bright, impact resistant, water tight and heavy with a NiMH battery pack. I tend to use it in low power mode, switching to high for short periods as needed.

Bottom line, yes the module does work on a C8 body, spec. sheet indicates it is designed for Nicad/NiMH.

=D~~ Kilted

Thanks for that info, this is my first post, and i noticed this thread is quite old, i just have one question, if the Aquasun mod fits all C8 or just the led one? Thank you