M4 vs M6

Danintex

Enlightened
Guys,
I've got an M6 that I really love, but was wondering. How much realistic difference is there between the M6 and the M4? can someone point me to a comparision thread? Thanks,

D

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output wise, you wont really notice that much of a difference.

Do you plan on using a rechargeable setup or using primaries??

Seeing as you already have an M6 you will more likely be 'disappointed' with the HOLA of the M4 then anything. Both are beautiful lights in make and form. The M4 has an excellent feel in my hand, probably due to the knurling.

Here is a size comparison pic for you :thumbsup:

PC143005.jpg

Danintex

Enlightened
Sweet, thanks! I'd be using primaries since its easier to switch primaries in the field. Throw is about the same then? The HO bulb on my M6 seems a bit floody.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M4 has a more round hotspot.
The throw is about the same :thumbsup:

I will be updating my beamshots tonight hopefully, so if you want to check back tomorrow you will be able to see the differences :thumbsup:

I will have:

MN20
MN21
MN60
MN61
Lumens Factory HO-M3T

Last edited:

Danintex

Enlightened
You bet, I've been eyeing a Lumens Factory bulb for a bit now, would like to know if it's worth the price... Maybe I'll just keep that M6 and get the M4 too. ;)

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
DM51's M6 thread is magnificent! :twothumbs

Btw, nice size comparison shot, DimeRazorBack.

cfromc

Enlightened
I've had both and to me the M6 is visibly brighter up close but throw was very similar. I liked the M4 form-factor a lot better.

Superdave

Enlightened
They use the same exact reflector so the bulb is going to be what makes the difference in throw. The M6 is a little brighter with the MN21, the M4 is a battery hog with the MN61 but is still very bright.

I'd bore out the M4 and run 2 AW 18650's with a MN16 lamp. Great beam and 500 ish out the front. It'll keep up with the M6 and is rechargeable. :)

Danintex

Enlightened
Good grief you guys, I was up most of the night drooling over that SHOOTOUT. Now I'm really confused... I like boring out the M4, then I can secure it over my riflescope for varmint hunting and such. And I already have a boatload of 18650s. Can I drop those in fresh off the charger?

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys,
I've got an M6 that I really love, but was wondering. How much realistic difference is there between the M6 and the M4? can someone point me to a comparision thread? Thanks,

D

On primaries, output is going to sag more with the M4 than with the M6. As far as the beam and reflectors, they are nearly identical. Both modify quite easily, so I suppose it just boils down to which form factor you prefer. For me the M4 is too long and the M6 body is a little too fat, but I have kept my 2 M6's and sold my M4 and 2x 18650 leef body, YMMV.

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Which CPF members perform boring services for the M4?

Or you can just use 2 x 17670 without boring.

Illum

Flashaholic
I prefer the M6 because its a good balance in runtime if used with M3 lamps...
Its cumbersome to carry but with gloves its near perfect.

Used with the KL6 it extends the range in runtime up to 3 hours, as compared to the "nearly an hour and half" L6

AvroArrow

Enlightened
A word of warning. That thread can kill an unprotected wallet in seconds:broke: :naughty:

+10

I never would have even remotely considered the M6 until I read that thread by DM51. Then I started looking and found a real good deal on a used M6 & M4 package from a local guy. And my wallet has not been the same since. I eventually sold the M4 because I didn't like the form factor as a handheld light. It felt a bit unbalanced when I gripped it so that my hand was far back enough to press the switch. I prefer the M6 over the M4 for balance as a hand held light. And the M4 is much more limited in rechargeable options compared to the M6. BUT you can't exactly mount a M6 to a picatinny rail either.

Good grief you guys, I was up most of the night drooling over that SHOOTOUT. Now I'm really confused... I like boring out the M4, then I can secure it over my riflescope for varmint hunting and such. And I already have a boatload of 18650s. Can I drop those in fresh off the charger?

If you've already got a bunch of 18650s & charger then you can try the M4 rechargeable options (2x Li-ions) with your M6. Just get 1 or 2 of MDOCOD's 2x18650 adapters ($20+shipping) and you're all set to try any of the 2xLi-ion lamps (MN15, MN16, MN20, LF HO-M3T, LF EO-M3T, FM bi-pin-to-MN adapter+whatever bulb) without having to buy a M4. And if you don't like the output, it only cost you about $50 for the adapter & 1 of the LF bulbs.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry - can't resist.... :laughing: I thought size didn't matter......

Anyway - That is an awesome thread on the M6 that I have read about 3-4 times and learned a lot about the options.

I don't have the M4 or the M6 personally because I wanted to avoid using that many primaries. I do have a FM Megallenium and a FM 2x26500 M head light both with KT4 heads.

A few things to note - not every KT4 head is the same. Of 2 KT4 heads one was definitely more throw and one was more flood.

I've run MN16 on 2x26500 lions and it is pretty stellar. Moving up to a MN21 is much brighter. Going with some custom WA1111, WA1185, FM1909 and the spread of LF bulbs my results are interesting. With the KT4 head there is definitely difference in brightness between different setups but there is more of an effect on the size of the spot as brightness goes up. As the filaments get bigger so does the size of the spot - so brighter bulb doesn't always correlate to more throw.