♥♥♥ Christmas Present For Someone Who Has Everything ♥♥♥

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
♥♥♥ Christmas Present For Someone Who Has Everything ♥♥♥

I'm always faced with what to get several people who already have everything. Well this year I found something that is exquisite and inexpensive, and in the "food" category.

They are Oblaten Cookie Wafers. There are websites I have personally tried while in search for this Holy Grail from my childhood. This was an award winning treat coming from an old spa resort town of Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic. It has a sweet layer between two wafer thin layers of crisp wafers. The total thickness is no thicker than a nickel or quarter. The effect of Communism and wars nearly obliterated all the families and locations where these were made. There are only a few sources for authentic Oblaten wafers left, and even fewer for those of us living in the USA.

• The most well known is from www.Oblaten.com in Minnesota, which comes in five flavors, a nice tin, and cut in 6 pie wedges. These are very good, and most people would be happy with them.

• There is also a spin off somewhat similar creation that uses honey as the filler between the two thin wafers at www.anisihoneywafer.com which are also very nice, and come in two flavors. These are more chewy and fragile crackers, but also worth sampling.

These are very unique, low calorie, absolutely delicious, and I cannot think of a better gift.

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ♥♥♥ Christmas Present For Someone Who Has Everything ♥♥♥

Wow, that first one is really out in the boonies! (AKA New Germany, MN)

My brother lives just a few miles from there. Next time I'm at his place I'll have to stop in and try some of this "Oblaten".

nbp

Flashaholic

Looking at those cookies reminds me of the Punselie's Stroopkoekje I had on a Dutch airline I flew when I went to Spain. I loved those little cookies. They are two crispy biscuit cookies with a caramel layer between. I saved the wrapper so I could find them again. If I wanted to get some I'd have to order them from Holland. Hmmmm, now that I look at them again, maybe I should order some.:drool: Between the exchange rate and shipping they wouldn't be cheap though.

Any of our Dutch friends here know the ones I'm talking about? Punselie's? Isn't Bart in the Netherlands?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Looking at those cookies reminds me of the Punselie's Stroopkoekje I had on a Dutch airline I flew when I went to Spain. I loved those little cookies. They are two crispy biscuit cookies with a caramel layer between. I saved the wrapper so I could find them again. If I wanted to get some I'd have to order them from Holland. Hmmmm, now that I look at them again, maybe I should order some.:drool: Between the exchange rate and shipping they wouldn't be cheap though.

Any of our Dutch friends here know the ones I'm talking about? Punselie's? Isn't Bart in the Netherlands?

Place in Massachusetts sells them...about 1/2 way down:

Item #1107 Stroopkoekjes by Punselie, Box of 16 cookies $3.99

Last edited:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

I'm not familiar with the brand that you are talking about, but they are pretty darn common in the Netherlands. Luckily there is a Dutch store not too far away that stocks all these great treats! Siroopwaffelen are maybe the best part of having dutch ancestors. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I'm not familiar with the brand that you are talking about, but they are pretty darn common in the Netherlands. Luckily there is a Dutch store not too far away that stocks all these great treats! Siroopwaffelen are maybe the best part of having dutch ancestors. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel

I'm not sure what the difference between Punselie's Stroopcookies and Stroopwafels, but Amazon has a ton of them. Wonder which would be best to try. Oh bloody hell, just ordered 5 different ones, including this one that gets raves.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened

I'm not sure what the difference between Punselie's Stroopcookies and Stroopwafels, but Amazon has a ton of them. Wonder which would be best to try. Oh bloody hell, just ordered 5 different ones, including this one that gets raves.

I've never tried the Punselies, but I've grown up with the stroopwafels and you can't go wrong with those. :)
Let us know which ones you like best!

Argh... now I've got a terrible craving for them and I won't be able to pick some up for at least a week or two! :ohgeez:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I've never tried the Punselies, but I've grown up with the stroopwafels and you can't go wrong with those. :)
Let us know which ones you like best!

Argh... now I've got a terrible craving for them and I won't be able to pick some up for at least a week or two! :ohgeez:

I'll do a research study. Here is all of the ones I ordered. It turned out to be 8 different ones. LOL!

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Let me know if you guys need any stroopwafels, I'm right here at the source ;)

Belgian beer ain't that bad either by the way :)

nbp

Flashaholic

LUX! You bought 8 different kinds of dutch cookies?!?! That's hilarious! I hope you like them or you may be gifting them! :p They're pretty tasty though, I think you'll be ok.

<If you don't want the Punselie's, I'll PM you my address> :crackup:

@Erasmus: My buddy was just in Belgium and he raved about the waffles, he said that American Belgian waffles are nothing compared to the real thing, and he loved the beer as well. He really liked [SIZE=-1]Straffe Hendrik[/SIZE], and another friend of mine is a fan of Delirium Tremens. I haven't had a chance to try either of them yet. I'm from the "Brew City" USA, so there's no shortage of beer here to choose from, but if you were to recommend a really good Belgian beer I could get here in the states, what's your favorite? :popcorn:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast

It really depends on which beer style you like most. I like the dark beers most, like quadrupels and strong Belgian ales. I'd highly recommend Pannepot, Rochefort, Westvleteren, St Bernardus 12. It's all in my cellar, don't know about availability in the States though. Especially the Pannepot is very promising, especially after a few years of cellaring. I just got some Pannepot Reserva 2007, it's Pannepot aged on oak barrels for 14 months. Marvelous!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Yeah, but nbp has Miller High Life in his backyard!!! ROFL!

nbp

Flashaholic

Haha, funny Lux :p

Just because Miller is a big and famous brewery from Wisconsin does not mean that Miller is the best we can do. In fact I never buy Miller.

Actually Wisconsin is home to dozens upon dozens of craft breweries, microbreweries, and brewpubs that would satisfy nearly any beer lover. Leinenkugels, New Glarus, Sprecher, Stevens Point, Capital...just to name a few very good smaller craft breweries. Some of them only distribute within the state so there's a decent chance that people from other parts of the country never hear of them. You should stop in some time, grab yourself a Leinie's, and see what good
Wisconsin beer is about. :D

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened

Lol, what a scam, except for maybe one week, I've spent all my live in The Netherlands (Holland) and I've never seen that particular brand of Stroopwafels. Not at the weekly market, not in any supermarket, not when visiting my grandparents, never.

Those Punselies cookies: here we buy stuff like that in rolls of up to 40 cookies.

Anyway: I eat my stoofwafels hot. Put them on top of a cup of hot coffee or tea, and they become soft :thumbsup:

I am more then willing to help anybody out if you want to import something from my country. All the Wall Street suckers are rallying the dollar right now, so exchange rates are a bit better for you know then a month ago.

But aren't there strict regulations from customs concerning food imports?

Oh btw: here we have nothing to do to get Stroopwafels. Churces, Schools, Music clubs, Sport clubs, charities; they all come to your door to sell you stroopwafels :naughty:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Well maybe this Christmas, I'll be out singing Carols and passing out Stroopwaffles.