Pick me a watch for Christmas

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
So ive basically got it down to 3 choices...

1.Casio Pathfinder PAW1300 (positive or negative)
2.Suunto Core (positive or negative)
3.G-Shock Mudman (positive only)

Its really going to replace a G-Shock i have, which i hate because it makes a noise everytime i push a button...drives me nuts!. Can also replace a K2-100 La Crosse Technology watch...which also beeps for buttons

What i like and dont like about each (i guess this kinda describes what im looking for...)

1. Pros

Solar...i dont feel guilty for using all the features excessively
Atomic...who doesnt like accuracy
Reviews say the negative screen is easy to read...which is good cause i think the negatives look cool
ABC functions...pretty cool, fun to use, barometer for weather can be useful
Auto EL...i have a G-Shock with this and i love it
Numbers on the face are pretty big, easy to read
Stopwatch and Countdown timer...both 24 hrs
Multiple alarms
Tough...i had a timex that broke when i fell rock climbing and smacked it on a the rockface

Cons

Altimeter only does 20ft steps...thus low accuracy
Stopwatch stops at 24hours...idk why i need more, but it would be nice
Kind of a small face vs. the amount of actual watch
Kind of iffy on the band

2. Pros

Looks really nice...dont want a watch i hate looking at
BIG numbers...easy to read, even nicer on a big clean face
Accurate sensors...kind of obvious why thats good
Stop watch and countdown timer
Sunrise/Sunset calculator...photography's a hobby of mine
Option for an orange strap for later purchase...i like orange
Bezel rotates for using with compass
Easy battery change
Easy to push buttons, even if i was wearing like ski gloves

Cons

Battery powered...not even that long of a life
Countdown timer only does 1 hour
Stopwatch only does 24 hours
Less information on screen at one time (i guess its a good and bad thing)...such as you cant display date, time, and seconds
Only one alarm
Seemed the most "floppy" on the wrist

3. Pros

G-Shock tough
Ive read DIY tutorials on how to dye a light colored band orange...love orange
Two 1000 hour stopwatches!
Count down timer
Multiple alarms
Auto EL
More waterproof
Much cheaper (unless i have to buy 2 bands..one for dying)

Cons

Not ABC
Smallest numbers/smallest glass/worst utilization of space of all the choices
Buttons hard to push...probably still hard to push somewhat even after boiling
Runs on battery
Because it runs on battery, auto EL turns off after 6 hours

Those are my opinions...im so torn.

So let me hear some of your opinions please

Thanks very much
Kirk

PS: Happy Holidays to all! =D

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, I'm going to ignore your choices, so please feel free to lambast me for going off topic!

Why not a Traser / Luminox analog with Trit markers and hands? Fantastic watches, easier to see in the dark that anything else, great styling... Lower-tech that your ideas, but they WORK!

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
LOL, I'm going to ignore your choices, so please feel free to lambast me for going off topic!

Why not a Traser / Luminox analog with Trit markers and hands? Fantastic watches, easier to see in the dark that anything else, great styling... Lower-tech that your ideas, but they WORK!

Haha yeah i should, but actually i must thank you. Ive now also gone back to looking at analog watches with tritium. I really wish i could get a Marathon TSAR..but alas that's out of the budget. But i do like the Luminox Evo Colormark, infact i even went to the store to try one on. It does fit the bill of being easy to read quite well.

Does anyone know how the quality of the Luminox/Trasers are for being worn daily? I plan to wear my new watch snowboarding so it must stand up to my falls, and im going to be wearing it in Germany so i dont want it breaking in the middle of a foreign country.

The digitals are, of course, still on the table....D*** theres just so many nice choices.

Thanks,
Kirk

CLBME

Enlightened
Hi Chew Socks,

I have a Mudman. I work in construction and have worn it daily for a year in all weather and all temps. The buttons are stiff but not a big deal for me. Lots of features I don't use frankly but I really like it. However one problem has occurred with it. About a week ago I noticed moisture in the watch! It's been under water a few times swimming but that's it. Casio was quick to address it and it's been sent in under warranty for repair. I could only find a couple of other occurrences on a Google search so it's obviously quite rare but a bit of a bummer just the same. Stuff happens though and I'll be glad to wear it and recommend it when I get it back.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should try the Uzi Protector This is a trit watch at a great deal! I have had mine for two years and beat it to death and it still works great, I am still on the factory battery.

The protector comes in different colored dials also. I think black, red, yellow, and blue.

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chew Socks,

I have a Mudman. I work in construction and have worn it daily for a year in all weather and all temps. The buttons are stiff but not a big deal for me. Lots of features I don't use frankly but I really like it. However one problem has occurred with it. About a week ago I noticed moisture in the watch! It's been under water a few times swimming but that's it. Casio was quick to address it and it's been sent in under warranty for repair. I could only find a couple of other occurrences on a Google search so it's obviously quite rare but a bit of a bummer just the same. Stuff happens though and I'll be glad to wear it and recommend it when I get it back.

Wow, thats actually the first time ive ever heard of a Mudman suffering damage like that. Incase it helps you, ive actually read a few turorials about taking off the bezel on the Mudman and boiling it to make the buttons softer. It makes me laugh to hear that you say you dont use the extra features, makes me wonder how much id use the SO MANY features the Casio and Suunto have lol.

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
You should try the Uzi Protector This is a trit watch at a great deal! I have had mine for two years and beat it to death and it still works great, I am still on the factory battery.

The protector comes in different colored dials also. I think black, red, yellow, and blue.

Thanks for the suggestion, Uzi is a brand i hadnt looked at too much.

How bright would you say the trits are?

some places i did some reading said that the trits on Uzi's came from Canada and werent as bright as the Luminox/Traser ones that came from a Swiss company.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion, Uzi is a brand i hadnt looked at too much.

How bright would you say the trits are?

some places i did some reading said that the trits on Uzi's came from Canada and werent as bright as the Luminox/Traser ones that came from a Swiss company.

Maybe so, dunno. I do know that when I was camping in the woods next to a campfire I could still make out the time easy enough. If it completely dark it's not an issue at all. IMO, the tritium is perfect for night hikes, camping, or any other night ventures.

I just looked on Ebay and you can get this light for $69.99 shipped! You just can't beat that. Good luck finding a watch! Let us know what you get.

Uzi also sells a Defender in SS and Ti. :)

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
Maybe so, dunno. I do know that when I was camping in the woods next to a campfire I could still make out the time easy enough. If it completely dark it's not an issue at all. IMO, the tritium is perfect for night hikes, camping, or any other night ventures.

I just looked on Ebay and you can get this light for $69.99 shipped! You just can't beat that. Good luck finding a watch! Let us know what you get.

Uzi also sells a Defender in SS and Ti. :)

Hmm, thats reassuring that even the "dimmer" brand can be read when there is some ambient light around. that really is a great deal though, but there's just something about the Uzi's designs that i dont like as much.

I think on the analog side its down to these two. http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Texcowboy9/EVOP6500.jpg

The Luminox Colormark comes in orange which i love and it has huge numbers which are easy to read, except the bezel numbers do make it a little busy to look at

But the Traser P 6500 has a nicely sterilized face, and you just gotta love that radioactive symbol :devil:. Its numbers are smaller and it does have a shape that kind of overpowers the hands and numbers, but that does make it less busy to look at.

Hmm...i hate decisions.....i wish i could just apply the flashlight advice "buy one of each"

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found this watch An Uzi ballistics, I didn't even know that they made these. I might have to get one of these. :)

This video is crazy!

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, thats reassuring that even the "dimmer" brand can be read when there is some ambient light around. that really is a great deal though, but there's just something about the Uzi's designs that i dont like as much.

I think on the analog side its down to these two. http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b269/Texcowboy9/EVOP6500.jpg

The Luminox Colormark comes in orange which i love and it has huge numbers which are easy to read, except the bezel numbers do make it a little busy to look at

But the Traser P 6500 has a nicely sterilized face, and you just gotta love that radioactive symbol :devil:. Its numbers are smaller and it does have a shape that kind of overpowers the hands and numbers, but that does make it less busy to look at.

Hmm...i hate decisions.....i wish i could just apply the flashlight advice "buy one of each"

Whew, the one on the left is busy, but nice!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Does anyone know how the quality of the Luminox/Trasers are for being worn daily? I plan to wear my new watch snowboarding so it must stand up to my falls, and im going to be wearing it in Germany so i dont want it breaking in the middle of a foreign country.

I wore a MB Microtec (same as watch as the Traser) daily for years. The stock Nato band didn't last long, after I replaced it with a zulu strap I never had a problem with it. The watch is very durable except I had the mineral glass model which got scratched. Not sure why but I prefer the MB Microtec/Traser over Luminox even though they're pretty much the same.

After the mineral glass got scratched I swithced to a Suunto Xlander Military for my daily watch.Loved it until I got a Marathon TSAR & it has been my favorite & the only watch I have worn since I got it. The vials in MB Microtec glow just as bright as my TSAR. I had a S&W H3 watch the vials were very dim the day I got it. Today they can barely be seen in a pitch black room.

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
I wore a MB Microtec (same as watch as the Traser) daily for years. The stock Nato band didn't last long, after I replaced it with a zulu strap I never had a problem with it. The watch is very durable except I had the mineral glass model which got scratched. Not sure why but I prefer the MB Microtec/Traser over Luminox even though they're pretty much the same.

After the mineral glass got scratched I swithced to a Suunto Xlander Military for my daily watch.Loved it until I got a Marathon TSAR & it has been my favorite & the only watch I have worn since I got it. The vials in MB Microtec glow just as bright as my TSAR. I had a S&W H3 watch the vials were very dim the day I got it. Today they can barely be seen in a pitch black room.

I thought tat Luminox also used MB Microtechs?

Man im really jealous of your TSAR...thats what id really like. Would you say the XLander is similar to the Core since thats one of the other ones im looking at?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havnt been too crazy about Uzi's designs, but that i find that to actually be very nice looking.

Yeah the design was lacking some but the ballistic is much better. The protector looks a little better in person.

The article above says that the ballistic uses MB-microtec trits...Hmmmm.

supes

Enlightened
Did you decide, chew socks? Is there a particular feature you need/want?

I wear a Casio PAW1300 negative all black and it has served me well for these few months so far. The blackened metal part of the face on mine is scratched and worn showing shiny metal already (like PVD or anodization lost). The temperature sensor takes 30 mins of being off your wrist to get an accurate reading. This is a bit annoying but oh well. Alarm sound is weak and quick. The Auto EL is a good alternative to tritium but sucks for me most of the time because I wear my watch inside. The rubber band that it comes with isn't bad. Blacked buckle. Feels diver esque. I really dig the size(thin) and number size.

The Sunnto Vector I tried seemed to have accurate measurements. Was freakin huge though. Had a G-shock tough solar watch too but the battery died on me. One of these days though, I will get a Traser watch. Nothing like analog and tritium.

stockae92

Enlightened
Seems like it really depends on what's more important to you? there are plenty of solar atomic G-Shocks out there for you to choose from.

you can also consider:

GW9200 Riseman
- 24 hr STW and CDT
- Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer
- can show 2nd time zone in current time mode
- comfortable to wear (feels balanced on the wrist with the design)
- has current time in all modes except for the altimeter mode

GW9200_01.jpg

GW9000/9010 Mudman
- atomic solar (compare to G9000 Mudman)
- 24hr STW
- 24 hr CDT (GW9010) / 60 min CDT (GW9000)
- day/date shown in current time mode (GW9010 only)
- love it or hate it LCD layout (both)
- I think GW9010 is available with black case orange straps
- IMO, GW9010's module is much improved from GW9000's, but the LCD layout is too funky for my taste

I like my GW6900 a lot. its a modern update of a classic with world time, 24hr STW and CDT, solar atomic, etc.

GW6900_03.jpg

btw, the latest PAW2000 pathfinder has sunrise and sunset time besides the usually ABC feature, and has a bigger glass so the watch looks more balanced. the PAW1500 has upgraded WR200M and moonphase/tide graph, but i think the LCD to case ratio is even worse than the PAW1300 because of the rotating compass bezel.