• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

typical runtime: 1W LS on BB400 on one 123?

hideo

Enlightened
just wondering if anyone has any experience ... just picked up a neat little mod that has this combo with a Q2K running off a Badboy 400 ...

wondering if I need to start ordering 123s in case lots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hideo

hideo

Enlightened
no one bit on this yet ... (must have newbie cooties on me)

of course folks are thinking, "why don't the fool
just stick a battery in it and find out for himself."

Well I did and the results were SO SHOCKING THAT I REELED IN REVULSION AND AWE ..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

so anyone want to relate their own experiences ... or take a guess?

thanks

hideo

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
What combo is that??? I would think the single 123 would fare well with the BB400. I'm going to guess a good solid 4 hours... Just a wild A** guess...

Shark

Enlightened
Hmmm I thought that's what we were talking about is a single 123 I never checked the run time on any of mine. Is that guess of 4 hrs at full regulation? followed by a bunch of hours of dimmer light?

hideo

Enlightened
yikes--I get about 30 minutes of very bright light (during which the light makes an excellent handwarmer) and then rapid falloff--looks like it could hang on in that moon mode for quite awhile--wondering if the module is working correctly?

When I pull the battery immediately after the light intensity seems to fall off, the battery reads 2.6V or so ...I haven't run the batttery down past 1.8V or so at which point my ARC AAA gives it a hard time brightnesswise

does this sound right ?

thanks for the input : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ... might have to run more batteries thru it (just got this light)

hideo

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just guessing as I've never tested this combination. My error estimate is +/- 200% /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, Looking at the Duracell 123A battery specifications, I'll refine my estimate to somewhere greater than 1 HR but less than 2.

My initial estimate was based on the battery holding nearly 3V most of the time during regulation. Upon looking at one battery datasheet the battery voltage under load is more like 2.5V which changes my estimate or equation that I was using.

For the BB400, the starting current is more like 750mA or so instead of the 500mA.

Still, it should log close to an hour unless I'm not taking something into account.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
This particular McLux get around 1.5 hours of strong light, whereas the LSH gets just over 2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
So here is one example of a BadBoy400 with 123 that gets 1.5 hours. Don't know if this helps at all.

Pat

obeck

Newly Enlightened
Well, a BB400 gets close to 3.5 hours on a pair of nimh... [email protected] for 2 AAs. A CR123 is generally about 1100-1300mah @3V. The Luxeon is going to draw a bit more current at 3V, and I dont know how efficient 123s are, but I would guesstimate... based on voltage and battery capacity... that a CR123 will last just a bit over half as long as 2AA nimh 1800maH batteries. That would be about 1.75 hours for 123s, 3.25 hours for 2AA. Carrying out actual tests on an Arc LS, I find these numbers to hold true. I believe that they would apply to the BB400 as well, though I dont have a 123 BB400.

hideo

Enlightened
thanks gentlemen, really appreciate your input--yeah, I thought mine was a little on the skimpy side at 30 minutes of REAL bright, but wondering if the Q2K bin code has something to do with it -- I'm going to run more tests (or just stop worrying)

it generates a bit of heat (maybe that battery is producing the wrong form of energy)

always tough for me to figure when people talk about runtimes unless an output graph is there as well ... are we talking blinding light, middling light or "jeeez, this 5W LS looks like a campfire ember, but it's still going" light

which runtime is yours? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hideo

(edited for coherence--was in a a hurry)

hideo

Enlightened
ps-- dat2zip, I was just kidding about the revulsion--just trying to get someone to write back

hideo

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem. You got my attention... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hideo

Enlightened
geeez dat2zip, you're still up--I thought I was the only one with insomnia ...

hey while you're there, what's the timeline on arrival of the Madmax/Badboy Q3s? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

hideo

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, me up? Must be sleep walking again...

The latest news is BB400 Q3 and MM+ Q3. A batch of them will start on the 7th. A couple days after that or near the end of the week I'd expect them. I'll drive over and pick them up.

Starting the week after, they will be building modules of the following types:

MM WO
MM Trimpot
MM+ WO
MM+ Trimpot

Yes, a new board layout and it can be loaded with or without a trim pot. The WO version is the cost down since it is easier to epoxy fill I will price these down from the adjustables and expect the majority will by the non trim pot sammich.

So, I will be carrying the original Madmax as well as the new Madmax Plus by the end of the month.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MM+ WO will be identical to the trim pot adjusted to max or wide open. These two settings are the same.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
dat2zip
Thank you very much! These are perfect for me (MM+ WO).
I have eight MM+ Q3's ordered (I'm giving to my brothers).
When I order more I'll be looking for these. Thanks again!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Just to add to the "noise," I get a solid hour with a BB500 on a CR2 (700-850mAH depending on.....)followed by death over the next 1/2 hour. My best guess is 2 solid hours for a 400, followed by 1/2+ hour death. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Latest posts