Fitorch        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titanium Sapphire "25"

Default Re: Titanium Sapphire "25"

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Bravo Don - I think I may have found a new source of Christmas gifts!

Put me on the list.

Very cool, Don. I'm happy to see a properly driven emitter in these finally! Still loving my original. Tempted to retro-upgrade!
    - Darell, the EVnut
    Email me: darelldd -at- gmail - I don't do PM.
    Is Tenacity just Badassity x 10?

Don,

My understanding is that the Sapphire 25 LE, as opposed to the original Sapphire's LE, can be removed and replaced without damage since it is only held in place by the mean of a tight fit of the LED in the centering o-ring.

Did I get that right ? Then would gently pulling on the foam ring suffice ?

I'm asking because I'm chewing with the idea of bead-blasting my Sapphire when I get it, which requires disassembly.

Can't wait to receive it

Thanks!

Yes tino,
    You have it right. You will probably want to remove the sapphire window or mask it off as well.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Thanks, that is perfect!

Received my Sapphire 25, it's great. More output than I anticipated, works fine on Eneloop.

Great job

I just got my Sapphire 25 as well and I'm very satisfied. Love it!

Don
    Thanks for your prompt shipment of my 2 Sapphire 25GS. My daughter saw it and loved it. So got her one for her keychain as she is off to University today so she needs a nice EDC

Just wanted to add a recent experience I had with my Sapphire 25 DS:

I run all my AA/AAA lights on Energizer "Ultimate Lithium" batteries, because they last forever and I don't have to worry about them leaking. I was shining my Sapphire around the walls of my bedroom last week, and the light seemed a bit dimmer than I remembered (though the Arc AAA and its derivatives always did that to me when the batteries wore down)...and then in the span of about three seconds, the light dimmed out completely and shut off. I turned the light off and turned it back on, and it dimmed out again immediately. A new battery, of course, fixed the problem.

In the case of using a lithium AAA with the Sapphire 25, the behavior seems to be: once the battery can no longer run the driver at full power, it will dim to roughly half its full-charge brightness, and then the usual "all or nothing" property of the lithium battery will kick in and the light will shut off almost instantly. I don't see this as being a bad thing, and I have no intention of risking the use of alkaline batteries anyway, but I thought people should know that there's nothing wrong if this happens to them. It's not a sign of malfunction or incompatibility, it's just the quirks of this specific driver combined with a lithium battery.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 02-21-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Flashaholic

I got 5 hours 58 minutes on an Eneloop until I stopped the test due to obvious reduction in output. The voltage on the Eneloop HR-4UTGA then measured exactely 1,0 Volt. This runtime is about the same as on an alkaline before output starts dropping according to this post: (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-quot-25-quot) Lithium should do better but nowhere close to the theoretical 48 hours!

Update:
    I have done a runtime test with an Energizer Lithium primary battery. Total 11h 55 min and the last hour or so there was obvious dimming with Finaly only a faint glow the last minutes.I'm pleased with the runtime and the fact that it doesn't just cut out as was suggested in the previous post. This might be because this was a continuous runtime-test and not intermittent usage? I Love my Sapphires more than any other flashlights at present and they are truly EDC ie I always have one on me (not EDC as in when I carry a flashlight this is the one I choose).

As far as runtime goes with the AAA flashlights: For single level lights I'm happy with this type of runtime! The ARC P ran about 7hours until empty on a lithium primary. In multiple mode flashlights the runtime on low is largely irrelevant to me. Let me explain: I always use the higher levels at least sometimes, so I don't have a "guaranteed" runtime except the high level. That's also why I love these single level AAA flashlights with good runtimes. One notable exception is the Muyshondt Mako which runs more than 20 hours on high and 80 on low with a lithium primary, but the high has less total output than my Sapphire GS judged by ceiling bounce, so it's no surprise that its runtime is longer even on "high".

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

What do most do to secure these? A McGizmo clip, Neck lanyard, with paracord, a nice Titanium neck chain, or clipped to keys?

I think a nice paracord neck lanyard thru the hole in the light with a nice Ti. Bead would be nice, no split ring and clip, just a clean cord and bead.

Anyone have any ideas? Can't wait to get one of these!

Best,

NR
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

I now carry my Sapphire on my keys with a Ti clip(ill gear), I did carry it on a black paracord neck lanyard. The 550 was a tight fit, removing about an inch of the inner strands made it fit. After started, I could pull it through and get it centered on the lanyard.

Barry
    Changing the world one Flashoholic at a time...

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

I may take mine to Tiffany's and have them make me a necklace. I used to shoot quite a bit for them, and I am in almost all their books.

They could do something really nice with a Sapphire.
    Last edited by RedLed; 05-12-2014 at 12:31 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12